First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid 145” 4x4 FX4 V6
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I think is mostly marketing to extract the maximum amount of dollars out you. A sway bar shouldn't add 4000 lbs more towing capacity.
I agree an increase of 3-4,000 lbs. has to be something else. Do the tow packages change the rotors/add a transmission cooler/ radiator or anything else?
Sponsored

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
Thanks, There is very likely more than one sway bar based on others measurements. I don't think the parts site is updated yet unfortunately. The saga continues.
I understand that but I actually pulled the vehicles by their VIN in HVBOM and looked for the front swaybar part number, I also did the 2020's and they are different part numbers with different tow packages...

Odd that the actual vehicle build would not have differing part numbers...

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I understand that but I actually pulled the vehicles by their VIN in HVBOM and looked for the front swaybar part number, I also did the 2020's and they are different part numbers with different tow packages...

Odd that the actual vehicle build would not have differing part numbers...
Yes. That is weird. Is there anyone at Ford we can ask what the actual difference in “trailer tow package” is from a truck without it? We can’t find anything, except potentially that sway bar. I’m happy to run it down. I just don’t know where to go and I’m out of resources.

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
Yes. That is weird. Is there anyone at Ford we can ask what the actual difference in “trailer tow package” is from a truck without it? We can’t find anything, except potentially that sway bar. I’m happy to run it down. I just don’t know where to go and I’m out of resources.
It makes no sense that they are all the same, with differing needs for the heavier tow needs by some folks..

Sponsored

BaltimoreF150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid 145” 4x4 FX4 V6
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Hi
And the cost...
So my F150 hybrid XLT has the integrated brake controller, 3.73, 4WD, class IV hitch, tow/haul mode/blis/ 7 pin wiring harness and the sticker does not show (trailer Tow package anywhere) I’m 90% sure if I would of added the option (trailer tow package 53A) for $1,090 it wouldn’t change anything. Maybe a different tire? But a different tire is not enough to go from 7,000 lbs to 11,000 or change it from medium duty to heavy duty as listed in the owners manual options. Attached is the order guide and page 35 which gives the tow options. Of particular note is the listing heavy duty, max duty, trailer tow/tech etc. nothing added IMO justifies going from 7,000 to 10,000. So I’m leaning that the confusion is a marketing ploy. When building the XLT 145” super crew option you don’t have Heavy duty as an option which is conflicting with owners manual.

Attachments

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Hi

So my F150 hybrid XLT has the integrated brake controller, 3.73, 4WD, class IV hitch, tow/haul mode/blis/ 7 pin wiring harness and the sticker does not show (trailer Tow package anywhere) I’m 90% sure if I would of added the option (trailer tow package 53A) for $1,090 it wouldn’t change anything. Maybe a different tire? But a different tire is not enough to go from 7,000 lbs to 11,000 or change it from medium duty to heavy duty as listed in the owners manual options. Attached is the order guide and page 35 which gives the tow options. Of particular note is the listing heavy duty, max duty, trailer tow/tech etc. nothing added IMO justifies going from 7,000 to 10,000. So I’m leaning that the confusion is a marketing ploy. When building the XLT 145” super crew option you don’t have Heavy duty as an option which is conflicting with owners manual.
Two things here, first there are differences such as ecoboost getting a bigger radiator in trailer tow, and (maybe) a different sway bar. So there are somethings called out.

second, that config guide documentation was early and had a lot of errors, powerboost doesn’t even appear on the payload ratings page, and there are a ton of other things wrong in general.

basically the documentation isn’t good enough to tell the whole story. I’m going to Ford directly and getting engineers involved. It’s either a scam, or they need to tell us what we’re getting TBH.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Powerboost owners gonna unite for a class action lawsuit on max tow! We can't figure out what we were getting for the original price, let alone an *increase* in price in December.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Powerboost owners gonna unite for a class action lawsuit on max tow! We can't figure out what we were getting for the original price, let alone an *increase* in price in December.
Ha. Well we can certainly say the value is diminished for poweeboost for sure. Max tow gets brakes and a reinforced bumper at least... trailer tow purchasers don’t even know what they get for their money... funny but not funny.

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat - Soon to be gone! 2021 Here I come!
Occupation
small business owner
Or you could be like me and sadly have an order with PB max tow, and PB tow tech. I’ll have him update the second order but probably sticking with the max tow and chalking it up to “safety in over engineering”
I am going to go with the Platinum Powerboost...payload becomes an issue on the Powerboost when you load it right up. I have seen payload stickers on a Platinum as low as 1280...up to 1450. I don't think I have seen any over that in person or on another thread.

The best I can tell, the Max Tow only gets you the small bump in trailer weight...but it comes with the heavier axels (the 3/4 float type - Can't recall the terminology) which weigh more and bring the payload down. If you you have a mid size TT that can easily have a tongue weight of 750 pounds...so any payload ratings of 1400 or less are touch and go for a family of 4 or 5 (2-3 kids). Say 550 lbs for a family of 4 (200/150/125/75), A Tongue Weight of 700 pounds and your left with 150 pounds for payload for that 1400lb payload.

I saw a forum where all options were assigned weights and I think you need to drop FX4, Moonroof, Max Tow, and maybe you would be able to add back skid plates to get over 1450 pounds of payload. I would select the regular tow package in place of Max Tow.

Has anybody else seen any Platinum 4x4's with a payload higher than 1450 pounds?

Sponsored

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I am going to go with the Platinum Powerboost...payload becomes an issue on the Powerboost when you load it right up. I have seen payload stickers on a Platinum as low as 1280...up to 1450. I don't think I have seen any over that in person or on another thread.

The best I can tell, the Max Tow only gets you the small bump in trailer weight...but it comes with the heavier axels (the 3/4 float type - Can't recall the terminology) which weigh more and bring the payload down. If you you have a mid size TT that can easily have a tongue weight of 750 pounds...so any payload ratings of 1400 or less are touch and go for a family of 4 or 5 (2-3 kids). Say 550 lbs for a family of 4 (200/150/125/75), A Tongue Weight of 700 pounds and your left with 150 pounds for payload for that 1400lb payload.

I saw a forum where all options were assigned weights and I think you need to drop FX4, Moonroof, Max Tow, and maybe be able to add back skid plates to get over 1450 pounds of payload.

Has anybody else seen any Platinum 4x4's with a payload higher than 1450 pounds?
It’s not much, but 1485 here. I intentionally didn’t get the power tailgate package for this reason, it’s heavy. I also like the static running boards better, and this years power ones are incredibly loud so that was an easy decision to leave them off.

I have a sunroof and max tow.

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 F5E464C2-3813-456C-95B6-1A966DFB75F9

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Here’s something else I have noticed. Even the 14,000lb hitch is only rated to 5,000lbs unless you use a load distributing hitch setup. Not just on the bumper, the receiver too.

Again, you’re probably fine to put 7,00bs on a standard ball, but the reality is that you could be held liable for negligence since it calls out this requirement directly on the hitch.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701

I saw a forum where all options were assigned weights and I think you need to drop FX4, Moonroof, Max Tow, and maybe you would be able to add back skid plates to get over 1450 pounds of payload. I would select the regular tow package in place of Max Tow.

Here's mine - 1667#. 701A, 3.5EB, 3.31Std, 26gal, 4x4, Roof, Tow Tech, Work Surface.

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 Payload

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat - Soon to be gone! 2021 Here I come!
Occupation
small business owner
It’s not much, but 1485 here. I intentionally didn’t get the power tailgate package for this reason, it’s heavy. I also like the static running boards better, and this years power ones are incredibly loud so that was an easy decision to leave them off.

I have a sunroof and max tow.

F5E464C2-3813-456C-95B6-1A966DFB75F9.jpeg
is that a Powerboost? What Trim Level?