Sponsored

Mike_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, XLT, 302a, 4x4, 3.5L, Antimatter Blue
As I am not a mechanical engineer nor a lawyer, so I have no idea if without the tow package does it lower your gcwr or create any additional legal liabilities if you tow north of 7000lbs w/o 53A or 53C and get into an accident.
[/QUOTE]

I think you're heading where I ended up. I have a 3.5L, 3.55 locker, XLT Screw coming soon hopefully. I went round and round with the salesman about what the heck was in the 53a that miraculously brought my towing capacity up 4,000lbs. Eventually, his lack of specific answers told me all I needed to know. If Ford was really trying to sell the Tow packages, of course they would list EVERYTHING included. The Tow Guide in 2020 included a wealth of things in the 53a, 2 years later, in the midst of a historical materials shortage, they're not listing anything. Hmmmm. Anything they do put in writing elsewhere is followed by "subject to change". They're obviously playing CYA games because they're not including these things.

Anyway, to my point. The 2022 Tow Guide states for a Screw with a 3.5L and 3.55, the lowest GCWR is 16,200. My Vin and the ebook tell me my truck will weigh 4950ish and I have a GVWR of 7050. That puts my payload at around 2,100 and towing about 9,100. The Tow package would bring me up to 11,000, but I think if I was towing more than 9,000lbs regularly, I would be ordering an F-250 anyway.

I'm fine, and I'm happy I didnt spend $1,090 on a package that would reduce the capabilities of the truck. The 17t gives me a bunch of safety features, the 3.5L gives me plenty of torque, and not weighing it down with nonsense has helped my payload. If Ford wants to throw some random subtext under a chart saying I can only tow 7,000lbs unless I buy a package that is a shell of what it was 2 years ago....they're welcome to. I don't blame anyone for buying it, I just didnt feel comfortable losing the known benefits in the 17t for the unknown, unproven benefits of the 53a.
Sponsored

Sandbaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Dang! I just read all 11 pages and it reminds me of the same discussions I had on Jeep Wrangler and Ranger forums. There must be an evil cabal of tow engineers cackling away somewhere.

I have a 19 FX4 max tow Ranger coming off lease and am trying to decide between the PB or just say screw it and go to a F-250. I'm currently towing a 24' max trailer weight of 6450#, unladen 4800# and the Rangers butt wiggles a bit while using an equalizer WD and anti sway setup.

Normally I wouldn't consider the hybrid but am intrigued by smart tow scales and the 7.2 kw
Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_20220214_122654
generator.

I'm getting ready to dive into the sales morass.

If you see a guy at the dealer with rolly/spinning eyes, it's me. :)

AlxMlr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Oxford XLT - 4WD
I just picked up a '22 XLT 302A max tow and the sticker on the hitch says #14,000 distributed. That's a pretty insane number, I only tow a 6k car trailer loaded up.

I noticed there was no rear stabilizer bar, only front. That's also wild. I'm coming from a ram with the #12,000 capacity.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I just picked up a '22 XLT 302A max tow and the sticker on the hitch says #14,000 distributed. That's a pretty insane number, I only tow a 6k car trailer loaded up.

I noticed there was no rear stabilizer bar, only front. That's also wild. I'm coming from a ram with the #12,000 capacity.
That is that hitch assemblies max rating which is used across numerous trim and tow and engine options., not your truck's rating.

If your in a Short Bed SuperCrew 4WD Max Tow XLT with 5.0V8 then your Max Tow is 13K. If the 3.5L EcoBoost then is 13.9k. With PowerBoost it's 12.4k.

AlxMlr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Oxford XLT - 4WD
That is that hitch assemblies max rating which is used across numerous trim and tow and engine options., not your truck's rating.

If your in a Short Bed SuperCrew 4WD Max Tow XLT with 5.0V8 then your Max Tow is 13K. If the 3.5L EcoBoost then is 13.9k. With PowerBoost it's 12.4k.
Ah, ok. makes sense! Mine is short Bed SuperCrew 4WD Max Tow XLT with the 3.5L, so 13.9k. Not that I would ever think about towing anything close to that much with a 1/2 ton.

Before I start a new thread, Does anyone know if the max tow package also lifts the rear end over a non-max tow? I noticed a 1" block under the leaf spring, and my rear end is 3.9" higher than my front end - 37.5"f ~41.5" rear

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Ah, ok. makes sense! Mine is short Bed SuperCrew 4WD Max Tow XLT with the 3.5L, so 13.9k. Not that I would ever think about towing anything close to that much with a 1/2 ton.

Before I start a new thread, Does anyone know if the max tow package also lifts the rear end over a non-max tow? I noticed a 1" block under the leaf spring, and my rear end is 3.9" higher than my front end - 37.5"f ~41.5" rear
Not sure. I know the 4x4 adds 2" in height at the rear (tailgate height) over 4x2. Also believe the Max Tow adds a 3rd leaf to the leaf springs.

AlxMlr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Oxford XLT - 4WD
Not sure. I know the 4x4 adds 2" in height at the rear (tailgate height) over 4x2. Also believe the Max Tow adds a 3rd leaf to the leaf springs.
thanks, I do indeed have a 3rd leaf spring. Need to get this baby leveled asap.

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 5BBA5577-2FB3-4600-B473-8D556F637BEE

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a

Would you be willing to share a picture of there your rear axle tube meets the wheel? This area circled:

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 1647568790607

Preferably from a couple of angles. Should be able to grab that with the wheel on. I'd just like to see the end of the axle tube for a hypothesis I have, that hopefully would help folks out.

Robpm

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SCC, Sport, 6.5 bed, FX4, MaxTow
I have a new 2022 F-150 Lariat, 6.5 bed with SCC, 3.5L EB, FX4, Sport with 20" wheels, Max Tow package, 3.55 Axle with E-lock, electronic tail gate, no moon roof, 36 Gal fuel tank, standard mirrors, Ford Tonneau cover. Did not come with spray in bed liner. Added it after the fact. GVWR 7150, Rear GAWR 4150, front GAWR 3750, payload 1650, MGTW WD 14000, and MTW WD 1400 and MGTW WC 5000 and MTW 500. Weighed the truck on CAT with full tank of gas, steer Axle 3180, drive axle 2380, gross weight 5560. Should have been 5500 so maybe spray in bed liner by Line-X added 60#? Had nothing else in the truck. I have heard that the CAT scales only give the weight to the closest 20 lbs but I dont know that to be true although looking at the numbers it would make sense.

I want to tow my 6000# JD 990, 40HP tractor which has a FEL and BH on a flat bed trailer. Looking at an AL trailer around 2000# so total weight 8000# with a tongue weight some where around 800 - 900#. That will eat up over half my payload. I am going to put a WDH on it as well so there is another 100 - 150#. Maybe remove the Tonneau cover when towing.

I have read through this whole thread. I am curious on some of these things regarding the towing packages as well and the axle size etc. As many noted the documents do not state anything about the Rear GAWR 4150. I did not order this truck. The dealer was using it for a demo and it was pretty much what I was looking for regarding color, sport package etc. I knew I needed the max tow. I have a lot of pics for the underside if any are curious.

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_1987

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_1988

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_0321wo-vin

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_0322wo-VIN

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_2223

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_2249

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_2247

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_2246

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_2177

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_2178

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_2046

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_2173

Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_2026

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Just grinding my own personal axe here, this is a good shot of external difference between the '21+ HD axle and the Standard. I get these are two different sides, but the flanges are totally different in how the look on the tube, and the large four bolts that hold on the HD hub are nowhere to be seen lower than the brake caliper mounting bolt on the STD, like on the HD.
Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 AXLES

@Robpm You might want to take off your rear wheels and check for broken axle bolts at the end of the axle. This problem has been cropping up on some '21s.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have heard that the CAT scales only give the weight to the closest 20 lbs but I dont know that to be true although looking at the numbers it would make sense.
I have weighed my truck/trailer combo dozens of times at many different CAT scales, and can confirm that they round to the nearest 20 lbs.

Additionally, since the scales are calibrated to weigh trucks that routinely carry 40,000 lbs or more, they're probably not tuned to precisely gage the relatively lightweight trailers that F150s would tow, so I would assume that the numbers you get from the scale are just "pretty close". It wouldn't shock me if you got slightly different weights from different scales, even with the same fluid levels and passengers. I once took my stock truck and weighed it without any passengers (and full fluids) to see how close it would get to the payload sticker on the side. Payload sticker says 1286 lb; scale said that I had 1400 lb before hitting the GVWR.

Robpm

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SCC, Sport, 6.5 bed, FX4, MaxTow
Makes sense. The weight on mine was measured with full fluids, I had just filled the tank at the station where the CAT scale was and we got out of the truck so no people in it. The curb weight fluid filled should be 5500# and the CAT scale weighed 5560#. 60# off but there is one thing that has been added to the truck after purchasing it which was I just had the bed sprayed with Line-X and I would assume that would make a difference. Maybe there is around 50# of that material added to the truck which would seem reasonable to me. So probably my payload has shifted down from 1650# to 1600#.

vidwiz

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I did a lot of research on payload. My notes show 45 lbs for sprayin so that sounds right on.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Just went to look at my hitch sticker. No info on it just a QR code and a part number. My camera would not read the QR code. Has anyone else run into this? Normally it just list the weights the hitch is rated for.... Is there any difference between the Max Tow hitch and a regular hitch? If so, how do I know I the Max Tow hitch is the one that was installed on my truck?
Ford F-150 Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 1
Sponsored