Sponsored

Towing performance issues (2021 Lariat 2.7)

SukotoYYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 2.7
Hoping for some guidance here. We are having two (2) major issues while towing our trailer... Background: we have a '21 Lariat 2.7, and are towing a 6200lbs trailer with about 500lbs of our stuff inside (tongue weight is 705lbs).

PERFORMANCE:

The performance while towing is horrible (can't pass anyone, can barely keep the F150 at highway speeds). The fuel consumption also seems to be getting worse over time; the last trip was well over 30L/100km (over 10mpg), compared to our typical average (without a trailer) of 10.5L/100km (about 22mpg). When we first picked-up the trailer, we were getting about 17L/100km (about 13mpg), which is about what we expected the 'increase' to be...

There also seems to be some subtle shaking/shuddering while driving, and occasionally we get sporadic frontwards/backwards jerking (not violent, but enough to make passengers uncomfortable).

PRO TRAILER BACKUP ASSIST
For unknown reasons, the knob stops functioning almost every time we use it (it works for the first while, then goes unresponsive). No errors, no warning, it just stops 'turning' the steering wheel.
Sponsored

rado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Hoping for some guidance here. We are having two (2) major issues while towing our trailer... Background: we have a '21 Lariat 2.7, and are towing a 6200lbs trailer with about 500lbs of our stuff inside (tongue weight is 705lbs).

PERFORMANCE:

The performance while towing is horrible (can't pass anyone, can barely keep the F150 at highway speeds). The fuel consumption also seems to be getting worse over time; the last trip was well over 30L/100km (over 10mpg), compared to our typical average (without a trailer) of 10.5L/100km (about 22mpg). When we first picked-up the trailer, we were getting about 17L/100km (about 13mpg), which is about what we expected the 'increase' to be...

There also seems to be some subtle shaking/shuddering while driving, and occasionally we get sporadic frontwards/backwards jerking (not violent, but enough to make passengers uncomfortable).

For unknown reasons, the knob stops functioning almost every time we use it (it works for the first while, then goes unresponsive). No errors, no warning, it just stops 'turning' the steering wheel.

PERFORMANCE:

What box/drive/gears do you have? Also what type of trailer are you towing?

OP
OP

SukotoYYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 2.7
What box/drive/gears do you have? Also what type of trailer are you towing?
3.55 Electronic lock
5.5box
FX4 Sport (SuperCrew)
Trailer Tow Package
10spd Auto
Trailer: 2022 Rockwood 2509S

johnatuckeriii

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 SuperCrew AMB

BCP28

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 2023 Ford Mach-E4x
Occupation
Engineer
You're asking a lot for a little 2.7L. You're dang near the max weight, and probably over the frontal area guidance based on Ford's towing guide (attached). A quick search of your trailer shows its about 8ft x 10ft. Aerodynamic drag increases exponentially with both speed and size, and running an 80sqft frontal is not going to be easy on things.

Ford F-150 Towing performance issues (2021 Lariat 2.7) Screenshot_20211015-205737_Drive

Ford F-150 Towing performance issues (2021 Lariat 2.7) Screenshot_20211015-205949_Drive

Performance shouldn't be getting worse as time goes on, but can vary based on temperature and other conditions. During a drive as the engine gets heat soaked, you might start to experience degraded performance as the engine pulls spark and timing to mitigate knock. Running premium fuel can help that to some extent.

As for the backup assist, I haven't had an issue with mine, but I'd check with the dealer to see if they can update software.

Attachments

Sponsored

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Pulled my Jayco 24MBH (almost an exact match for yours) with a 2016 F150 2.7L FX4 SC, long bed, 3.73 and max tow package. GVWR was 13100 and the combination was running around 13,050. Even with a WDH, getting passed by anything bigger than a prius was interesting. Performance was fine, fuel mileage was abysmal.

Are you using a WDH? Make sure it's adjusted properly. Get help doing that if you don't know how. I didn't have any bucking or lurching, it was a smooth ride. I only towed 4-5 times a year on flat ground so no major terrain challenges. Just not very economical. The plus side of the 2.7L is great fuel economy when unloaded.

I watched a youtube vid about the new backup assist feature. I'll stick with mirrors and multiple tries to get parked where I want it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SukotoYYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 2.7
Dry weight is 5300 pounds. How much water and fuel in the trailer? How much weight in the truck? Did you ever consider driving up to the heavy truck scales to see what your wet weight is? You might be close to max'ing out.

Edit: Max tow rating of your truck is 7700 according to the trailer selector worksheet.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...eneral/pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_F150_Dec3.pdf
We tow it completely dry (fresh / grey / black tanks empty), but with about 500-750lbs of cargo and 350lbs of passenger weight.

We do use a weight distribution hitch as well (Blue Ox Sway Pro).

We haven't checked using a truck scale, but I don't think we are close to the 7700lbs (I could be wrong, but it would be shocking).

OP
OP

SukotoYYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 2.7
You're asking a lot for a little 2.7L. You're dang near the max weight, and probably over the frontal area guidance based on Ford's towing guide (attached). A quick search of your trailer shows its about 8ft x 10ft. Aerodynamic drag increases exponentially with both speed and size, and running an 80sqft frontal is not going to be easy on things.

Screenshot_20211015-205737_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-205949_Drive.jpg

Performance shouldn't be getting worse as time goes on, but can vary based on temperature and other conditions. During a drive as the engine gets heat soaked, you might start to experience degraded performance as the engine pulls spark and timing to mitigate knock. Running premium fuel can help that to some extent.

As for the backup assist, I haven't had an issue with mine, but I'd check with the dealer to see if they can update software.
Thanks for sharing the frontal area considerations chart - I had never seen that before. When I ordered the F150, the dealer assured me that it would tow my trailer (and showed the 7700lbs chart only)... Now I wish I had looked further into it.

Is there a safety issue with towing this trailer, since it appears to be at the upper limit of the truck?

BCP28

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 2023 Ford Mach-E4x
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for sharing the frontal area considerations chart - I had never seen that before. When I ordered the F150, the dealer assured me that it would tow my trailer (and showed the 7700lbs chart only)... Now I wish I had looked further into it.

Is there a safety issue with towing this trailer, since it appears to be at the upper limit of the truck?
I don't think it's a safety issue per se. As long as you are using a trailer brake controller, weight distributing hitch that's set up properly, and some common sense, you probably won't run into any safety issues, you probably just won't be winning any races with the trailer hitched up. My only recommendation would be to look into a scan-gauge or similar OBD devices to keep an eye on engine and trans temps (honestly probably something everyone who tows any significant weight should do).

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
We do use a weight distribution hitch as well (Blue Ox Sway Pro).
Have you measured from the trailer under-carriage frame to the road, front and back? That should be equal. What is the measurement difference for front wheel well to road, loaded and unloaded?

When I ordered the F150, the dealer assured me that it would tow my trailer (and showed the 7700lbs chart only)... Now I wish I had looked further into it.
You've got a suitable truck for towing that camper. Even more so, you've got a great daily driver!
Sponsored