Sponsored

Towing Newb!! Just got my 21 Lariat

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
3 people 400lbs- I dont know what Camper I want, cause I dont know how much this truck can tow!
(Payload capacity sticker - passengers - cargo) x 600. Roughly. You'll hit payload before max combined weight with a travel trailer, you'll need a wdh for any decent sized trailer anyway so axle should be covered.
Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
3 people 400lbs- I dont know what Camper I want, cause I dont know how much this truck can tow!
So assuming you have 3 people that weigh 400 pounds and you need a WDH that weighs 100 that leaves you with 900 pounds of tongue weight. You can estimate with 13 percent tongue weight that you have room for a 6900 pound trailer. I would shoot for something smaller as you might need more payload in the future. A 6000 GVWR should be a good max number to shoot for. Anything over 6000 and it’s a real maybe. You will be pushing your rawr and will have to get your wdh exact or you will overload the rear axle. A nice 6000 pound GVWR will put 750 pounds on you and leave you with an extra 150 pounds for payload in the truck or people to gain weight. Again this is just an estimate and some trailers are heavier in front vs rear so please consider the trailer layout and loading.

OP
OP

SurJones

First Name
Sur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Okay - say I settle on a 5,800LB camper. I can tow it? Assuming for 50lb of Weight Gain for Christmas, and 150lbs of stuff in the bed of the truck. Do campers normally have sticker that says what the tongue weight will be?

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Okay - say I settle on a 5,800LB camper. I can tow it? Assuming for 50lb of Weight Gain for Christmas, and 150lbs of stuff in the bed of the truck. Do campers normally have sticker that says what the tongue weight will be?
Yes they do but the sticker is wrong. They will give you unloaded tongue weight. Doesn’t included batteries accessories and the stuff you load in trailer. Only way to know for sure is to weigh it. I know it sucks. Some campers are heavier than others. Rear kitchen / front kitchen / size and number of batteries, size and number of propane’s and how you load it all effect tongue weight. It can be anywhere from 10-20 percent of the total weight of trailer.
Sponsored