First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
@Roger350 - Does the heavier duty axle increase the payload / GVWR?
Without seeing the door jamb stickers I cannot say for sure. It certainly will have a higher Rear Axle Weight Rating, which could allow it to have a higher GVWR, and thus a higher payload, and a higher tongue weight capacity, but it also will weigh more than the 8.8" standard axle, so it's a game of addition and subtraction, and I wouldn't want to speculate how that comes out.

And, just because the axle rating is higher, doesn't mean Ford has to raise the GVWR too. I believe the stickers from the PowerBoost trucks showed that the GVWR is less than the combined front and rear axle weight ratings, so it is up to Ford where they rate the GVWR, and the axles may not be the limiting factor.

The best way to get an educated guess on this matter would be to compare the Payload and GVWR for two identical 2020 F-150s, with the only difference between the trucks being the axle, but how we would know for certain that one truck has the 9.75" HD axle and one has the regular 8.8" axle would be difficult at best. They are visually different if actual truck owners could post their data we could tell by looking at the axles, but if we were just comparing window stickers and door jamb stickers I'm not sure? I guess the rear axle weight ratings should tip us off. But comparing 2020 data would just give us a an educated guess anyway.

Sorry I can't offer more assistance, but this is a case where sometimes 2 + 2 does not equal 4, so I don't want to mislead anyone with a guess.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I don't think it was, the first I saw of it was on the production updates, where it listed the Max Tow axles on constraint as a 3/4 Float Axle. A little internet research shows it is a 9.75" ring gear with a different pumpkin shape that is easy to distinguish from the standard axle. Apparently a 3/4 Float setup moves the load path for the truck weight to the outer axle housing, leaving the axle shaft to only be loaded by the engine torque applied to it, and the side load applied when going around corners. I had never heard of this intermediate setup, and didn't find very good cutaway pics of the actual bearing/hub carrier. The standard axle is a semi-float, which requires the axle shaft to carry all the load from the vehicle weight, the side load from turning, and the engine torque applied to it. In an HD full floating axle, like in an F-250, the axle shaft only carries the applied engine torque and none of the weight or side loads.
Great Catch. This isn't mentioned anywhere, maybe when the brochure comes out...

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Great Catch. This isn't mentioned anywhere, maybe when the brochure comes out...
Tim, I retracted much of this information the other night, as the more research I did, the less I believed my original source. My retraction is on page 1 of the thread.

I think the 9.75" Max Tow axle is just a normal semi-floating design, and not some cross between semi-floating and full-floating called a 3/4 floater. I'm not even sure I believe a 3/4 floater is even a real thing, but even if it is, I no longer believe the 9.75" axle is anything more than a regular semi-floater.

Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Tim, I retracted much of this information the other night, as the more research I did, the less I believed my original source. My retraction is on page 1 of the thread.

I think the 9.75" Max Tow axle is just a normal semi-floating design, and not some cross between semi-floating and full-floating called a 3/4 floater. I'm not even sure I believe a 3/4 floater is even a real thing, but even if it is, I no longer believe the 9.75" axle is anything more than a regular semi-floater.
10-4. We can hope. I am amazed at the contradictory/lackluster sources of information between the build and price, spec sheets, order guide, and pricing guide. I just know that this wouldn't fly in my job in IT Infrastructure. Specs and interoperability makes it easy to procure, which is perhaps why this is so frustrating for me. I'm trying to make the third largest purchase of my life, and I can't even get solid information on what I have already ordered. If the order bank hadn't been open since July, I would be a little less hard on them.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Ok i got a new riddle for us. Here are 2 XLT 302a EB's at my closest dealer. I took the window stickers and payloads, and the configs are VERY close, except minor differences: max vs regular tow, and 20" rims vs 18". (im ignoring work surface)

I calculate that 13 extra gallons of tank is 82#. So the rest of the gap is the wheels and upgraded max tow components!

Ford F-150 Towing capacity of 2021 F150 20201211_091658

Ford F-150 Towing capacity of 2021 F150 20201211_091719

Ford F-150 Towing capacity of 2021 F150 20201211_092128

Ford F-150 Towing capacity of 2021 F150 20201211_092106

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
The weight of fuel in the tank is already included in the payload calculations.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Yes, so the rest of the gap is the rims and upgraded brake/bumper. Seems like a lot!
Yes, so the rest of the gap is the rims and upgraded brake/bumper. Seems like a lot!
130 lb difference across wheels, brakes and a bumper reinforcement (probably most of it) seems fair or even low to me.

Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
The 36 gallon tank alone is 88 pound option. Heavier wheels, heavier axle, bigger brakes, beefier hitch makes up the diff pretty easy.

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I don't think it was, the first I saw of it was on the production updates, where it listed the Max Tow axles on constraint as a 3/4 Float Axle. A little internet research shows it is a 9.75" ring gear with a different pumpkin shape that is easy to distinguish from the standard axle. Apparently a 3/4 Float setup moves the load path for the truck weight to the outer axle housing, leaving the axle shaft to only be loaded by the engine torque applied to it, and the side load applied when going around corners. I had never heard of this intermediate setup, and didn't find very good cutaway pics of the actual bearing/hub carrier. The standard axle is a semi-float, which requires the axle shaft to carry all the load from the vehicle weight, the side load from turning, and the engine torque applied to it. In an HD full floating axle, like in an F-250, the axle shaft only carries the applied engine torque and none of the weight or side loads.
good info, thanks! Glad to know there is an engineer or 2 around here

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Bump...

I have been working with a dealer to try to understand what $1,870 buys me on the Platinum Powerboost Max Tow. They are still working on it, but here is what I see. Can anyone confirm/add/delete from this? Green boxes are what I think $1,820 buys you.

Ford F-150 Towing capacity of 2021 F150 1610147786317

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
On the 2017 I had that was max tow, the receiver hitch was different If I remember correctly. The tow chain holes were a different shape and there was an extra bracket that connected to the bumper.
Sponsored