First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger
Occupation
Energy Sector
Any educated guesses if we'll see increased towing capacity for the 2021 F150 and how much increase we could be looking at?

Love my '19 Ranger but really could use more grunt (only 3,500 lbs tow capacity) when towing and the new F150 is shaping up nicely from the pics and renders here so it's got me paying attention for possible upgrade.
Sponsored

TAL2GK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 C2S, BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW X6
And more importantly for me - payload capacity. The current towing guide shows a potential payload for the 150 over 3,000 lbs, but so far haven't had any luck finding any even near 2,000 according to the sticker in the door jambs.

Striker Hawk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
And more importantly for me - payload capacity. The current towing guide shows a potential payload for the 150 over 3,000 lbs, but so far haven't had any luck finding any even near 2,000 according to the sticker in the door jambs.
Here's the guide you need to determine what truck configuration you need in order to get the payload capability you're looking for.

While Page 3 indicates 3,270 lbs. properly equipped, page 11 doesn't indicate anything more than 2,852 lbs. as a maximum camper weight, which I would think would directly translate into Payload.

Attachments

TommyGun

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
I'm getting the F150 XLT with the 3.5L Ecoboost because I need a new tow vehicle to haul a Couple's Travel Trailer RV with a dry weight of approximately 4000 lb, and a Cargo Carrying Capacity of 1500 lb (the trailer CCC, not the truck). At first I was sure I needed the Max trailer tow package because of the integrated Brake controller, the 3.55 gear ratio and the 36 gallon tank, but I'm seeing window stickers that have the extended fuel tank, 3.55 ratio and the brake controller with the standard trailer tow package. Not sure I really need the 14,000 lb towing capacity for that little RV. With the standard trailer tow package I would still have a towing cap of 11.200 lb which would be more than enough for what I need to tow. It's only a $355 difference between the two towing packages, but it gives me more trucks to choose from in the dealer inventories. What's your thoughts on this?

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I'm getting the F150 XLT with the 3.5L Ecoboost because I need a new tow vehicle to haul a Couple's Travel Trailer RV with a dry weight of approximately 4000 lb, and a Cargo Carrying Capacity of 1500 lb (the trailer CCC, not the truck). At first I was sure I needed the Max trailer tow package because of the integrated Brake controller, the 3.55 gear ratio and the 36 gallon tank, but I'm seeing window stickers that have the extended fuel tank, 3.55 ratio and the brake controller with the standard trailer tow package. Not sure I really need the 14,000 lb towing capacity for that little RV. With the standard trailer tow package I would still have a towing cap of 11.200 lb which would be more than enough for what I need to tow. It's only a $355 difference between the two towing packages, but it gives me more trucks to choose from in the dealer inventories. What's your thoughts on this?

I don’t anticipate doing much towing, but I wanted the 36 gallon extended range tank, and the 3.55 axle ratio on my build. They cost $445 and $470, respectively. The two would run me $915 as standalone options. The Max Tow Package retails at $1350. So only $435 more, I’d get:

-Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
-Upgraded Rear Bumper
-Larger Rear Brakes
-Pro Trailer Backup Assist
-Smart Trailer Tow Connector

There is a lot more than $435 in value with all of those features, so I added the Max Tow Package.

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
I don’t anticipate doing much towing, but I wanted the 36 gallon extended range tank, and the 3.55 axle ratio on my build. They cost $445 and $470, respectively. The two would run me $915 as standalone options. The Max Tow Package retails at $1350. So only $435 more, I’d get:

-Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
-Upgraded Rear Bumper
-Larger Rear Brakes
-Pro Trailer Backup Assist
-Smart Trailer Tow Connector

There is a lot more than $435 in value with all of those features, so I added the Max Tow Package.
I did the same analysis and agree with you. I did not want to have any regrets!

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
Max Tow also includes the stronger rear axle with a higher RAWR which is handy if you end up with a bunch of “stuff” in the bed while RVing.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Max Tow also includes the stronger rear axle with a higher RAWR which is handy if you end up with a bunch of “stuff” in the bed while RVing.

I did not know that! Was it listed in the Tech. Specs.?

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I did not know that! Was it listed in the Tech. Specs.?
I don't think it was, the first I saw of it was on the production updates, where it listed the Max Tow axles on constraint as a 3/4 Float Axle. A little internet research shows it is a 9.75" ring gear with a different pumpkin shape that is easy to distinguish from the standard axle. Apparently a 3/4 Float setup moves the load path for the truck weight to the outer axle housing, leaving the axle shaft to only be loaded by the engine torque applied to it, and the side load applied when going around corners. I had never heard of this intermediate setup, and didn't find very good cutaway pics of the actual bearing/hub carrier. The standard axle is a semi-float, which requires the axle shaft to carry all the load from the vehicle weight, the side load from turning, and the engine torque applied to it. In an HD full floating axle, like in an F-250, the axle shaft only carries the applied engine torque and none of the weight or side loads.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think it was, the first I saw of it was on the production updates, where it listed the Max Tow axles on constraint as a 3/4 Float Axle. A little internet research shows it is a 9.75" ring gear with a different pumpkin shape that is easy to distinguish from the standard axle. Apparently a 3/4 Float setup moves the load path for the truck weight to the outer axle housing, leaving the axle shaft to only be loaded by the engine torque applied to it, and the side load applied when going around corners. I had never heard of this intermediate setup, and didn't find very good cutaway pics of the actual bearing/hub carrier. The standard axle is a semi-float, which requires the axle shaft to carry all the load from the vehicle weight, the side load from turning, and the engine torque applied to it. In an HD full floating axle, like in an F-250, the axle shaft only carries the applied engine torque and none of the weight or side loads.

Thanks for the info. I think, I’m following you. All in all, a more durable truck. At first read through I was like:

Ford F-150 Towing capacity of 2021 F150 E7E1ABC2-3503-4DE0-B1EA-9AA76AAC89BB

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the info. I think, I’m following you. All in all, a more durable truck. At first read through I was like:
Yeah, that was a little technical, but I'm an engineer, and I knew all about semi-floating and full-floating axle designs, but I had never heard of this 3/4 float, so I had to do the research, and what good is doing the research if you don't share it with friends (preferably over a beer).

But yes, your take that it is a heavier duty axle design is correct, and it is a good thing, I was excited to read about it myself.

TommyGun

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
Yeah, that was a little technical, but I'm an engineer, and I knew all about semi-floating and full-floating axle designs, but I had never heard of this 3/4 float, so I had to do the research, and what good is doing the research if you don't share it with friends (preferably over a beer).

But yes, your take that it is a heavier duty axle design is correct, and it is a good thing, I was excited to read about it myself.
Thanks for the info. Good to get an engineering point of view

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Apparently a 3/4 Float setup moves the load path for the truck weight to the outer axle housing, leaving the axle shaft to only be loaded by the engine torque applied to it, and the side load applied when going around corners. I had never heard of this intermediate setup, and didn't find very good cutaway pics of the actual bearing/hub carrier. The standard axle is a semi-float, which requires the axle shaft to carry all the load from the vehicle weight, the side load from turning, and the engine torque applied to it. In an HD full floating axle, like in an F-250, the axle shaft only carries the applied engine torque and none of the weight or side loads.
More research on the F-150 9.75" axle makes me think the original source I found was incorrect. I now believe the 9.75" Max Tow Axle is just a normal semi-floating axle. It does have larger diameter axles and a larger ring gear than the 8.8 standard axle, but it is not a "3/4 Float" as described above, if that is even a thing, which I now doubt a little too.

Still a heavier duty axle, but not anything special to get too excited about.
Sponsored