First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 F250
Occupation
Web Design Agency
the truck is basically on when in generator mode ...so keep your radio, ac, etc... off. And yes your wifi will be available.
What are your thoughts on if the WiFi provided by the truck is any better than using your phone as a hotspot? Thanks.
Sponsored

Fathardtail

First Name
Melinda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Ken, a WD hitch is all about shifting weight to the front of the tow vehicle from the back. It doesn't reduce or 'eliminate' some of that hitch weight from the tow vehicle when doing payload computations. You may want to watch this excellent discussion that explains why that's the case. Also, I don't see how you have accounted for the weight of your WD hitch in your description. It sounds like your Caravel's tongue weight, when weighed by your own scale, didn't include the weight of your WD hitch.

The conventional way to mathematically determine the amount of a truck's payload used by a trailer would be to add together a trailer's full tongue weight with its WD hitch weight. The better way, as you mention, is to use a 3-pad conventional scale. So hey, if the scales end up giving you the right numbers, that's what counts. Hope the F150 is everything you're expecting.

Jack
Thanks for that thoughtful reply Jack!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
What are your thoughts on if the WiFi provided by the truck is any better than using your phone as a hotspot? Thanks.
The truck hotspot uses AT&T. I started my free trial because my family is Sprint/T-mo and we had horrible reception at a campground so I tried a 2nd carrier and it didn't change my luck too much.

I believe the free trial has a max of like 8GB or 3 months, whichever comes first? So you should sign up and give it one camping trip worth to see how you like it. I had trouble connecting more than 1 device and suspected it was a free trial thing but I didn't read the fine print since AT&T didn't really solve my problem.

Also, I was annoyed that the truck had to be ON, similar to the generator. I was thinking the wifi module would have been an independent subsystem but nope, seems to need the entire Sync unit on.

kmayer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 F250
Occupation
Web Design Agency
The truck hotspot uses AT&T. I started my free trial because my family is Sprint/T-mo and we had horrible reception at a campground so I tried a 2nd carrier and it didn't change my luck too much.

I believe the free trial has a max of like 8GB or 3 months, whichever comes first? So you should sign up and give it one camping trip worth to see how you like it. I had trouble connecting more than 1 device and suspected it was a free trial thing but I didn't read the fine print since AT&T didn't really solve my problem.

Also, I was annoyed that the truck had to be ON, similar to the generator. I was thinking the wifi module would have been an independent subsystem but nope, seems to need the entire Sync unit on.
Thanks Terry. That is what I suspected would be the case. I know of other RVrs that have installed the weboost type systems, and those are not great either. In a few years, I’m sure there will be a solution to better connectivity for those of us that rv regularly.

Fred&Wilma

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platinum 701A 4x4 Powerboost 7.2kw
Ken, a WD hitch is all about shifting weight to the front of the tow vehicle from the back. It doesn't reduce or 'eliminate' some of that hitch weight from the tow vehicle when doing payload computations. You may want to watch this excellent discussion that explains why that's the case. Also, I don't see how you have accounted for the weight of your WD hitch in your description. It sounds like your Caravel's tongue weight, when weighed by your own scale, didn't include the weight of your WD hitch.

The conventional way to mathematically determine the amount of a truck's payload used by a trailer would be to add together a trailer's full tongue weight with its WD hitch weight. The better way, as you mention, is to use a 3-pad conventional scale. So hey, if the scales end up giving you the right numbers, that's what counts. Hope the F150 is everything you're expecting.

Jack
Thanks Jack - good point on the WD hitch. It weighs in at another 50lb.

Sponsored

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
I signed up for the unlimited yearly plan...as my son and wife will use when we are on long drives and campground stays where our Verizon service is weak. My son has a laptop and iPad that don't have LTE service also...so for long RV trips it's worth it to us. I also don't want them using their devices against my phone because I take a lot of WebEX/MS Teams calls on my phone for work.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
“I know of other RVrs that have installed the weboost type systems, and those are not great either. In a few years, I’m sure there will be a solution to better connectivity for those of us that rv regularly.”

Kevin, FWIW I significantly improved my WeBoost performance by physically nesting its Inside antenna with my phone and them hot spotting off the phone. I found an out of the way spot in the trailer where a small box could be mounted and the antennas cable could reach, and just plop the two together side by side. It’s not ‘the’ solution but it does insure you get the most benefit possible from the WeBoost.

Some RV’ers seem to think Starlink will be the answer but, even with a RV sized array, the power requirements are going to be a challenge...altho’ a Powerboost model would be an ideal solution to that.

Jack

kmayer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 F250
Occupation
Web Design Agency
“I know of other RVrs that have installed the weboost type systems, and those are not great either. In a few years, I’m sure there will be a solution to better connectivity for those of us that rv regularly.”

Kevin, FWIW I significantly improved my WeBoost performance by physically nesting its Inside antenna with my phone and them hot spotting off the phone. I found an out of the way spot in the trailer where a small box could be mounted and the antennas cable could reach, and just plop the two together side by side. It’s not ‘the’ solution but it does insure you get the most benefit possible from the WeBoost.

Some RV’ers seem to think Starlink will be the answer but, even with a RV sized array, the power requirements are going to be a challenge...altho’ a Powerboost model would be an ideal solution to that.

Jack
Thanks for the tip Jack. I’ll pass your suggestion on to my friend using weboost to see if that helps. It does seem like weboost is the best alternative at least at the moment.

Sponsored

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
Thanks for the tip Jack. I’ll pass your suggestion on to my friend using weboost to see if that helps. It does seem like weboost is the best alternative at least at the moment.
Hi Starlink is not available for mobile use yet is it? I am getting it for my home in the country, but saw nothing for mobile.

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
Great Powerboost payload! Congratulations.

Jack
Not bad, wonder if that would allow a 1000# hitch weight for an average truck load? I am getting a Lariat loaded, no moonroof, but sprayed bed and will add a rollaway cover. I ordered a smaller RV than I wanted to, kind of upset about this whole payload thing with the Powerboost.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech

Jack
Thanks Jack - good point on the WD hitch. It weighs in at another 50lb.
Some of them weigh upwards of 100 lbs.

Not bad, wonder if that would allow a 1000# hitch weight for an average truck load? I am getting a Lariat loaded, no moonroof, but sprayed bed and will add a rollaway cover. I ordered a smaller RV than I wanted to, kind of upset about this whole payload thing with the Powerboost.
Easy payload calculation. Add people, gear, weight of the weight distribution, any accessories you add (floor mats, bed liner, bed mat... etc). Also add hitch weight. A good average of hitch weight is your camper GVWR x 12.5%. Worst case would be x 15%. Now match this outcome to your payload sticker on the door. If you are distributing weight in your camper, be sure not to distribute to much at the back. You'd rather your trailer to be a little hitch heavy. And obviously use a weight distribution hitch if you are towing more than 50% of your tow vehicle weight.

Here's a little cheat sheet that helps. It also has a built in safety factor. Feel free to download it to use. I add different tabs to measure with different campers.

Payload Calculator
Backup - Google Drive Payload Calculator

Last edited:

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
Some of them weigh upwards of 100 lbs.

Easy payload calculation. Add people, gear, weight of the weight distribution, any accessories you add (floor mats, bed liner, bed mat... etc). Also add hitch weight. A good average of hitch weight is your camper GVWR x 12.5%. Worst case would be x 15%. Now match this outcome to your payload sticker on the door. If you are distributing weight in your camper, be sure not to distribute to much at the back. You'd rather your trailer to be a little hitch heavy. And obviously use a weight distribution hitch if you are towing more than 50% of your tow vehicle weight.

Here's a little cheat sheet that helps. It also has a built in safety factor. Feel free to download it to use. I add different tabs to measure with different campers.

Payload Calculator
I went out to my 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 and looked, NO DAMN PAYLOAD sticker, that's when trucks where trucks, LOL.

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
We'd prefer to order a fairly loaded Platinum but might downgrade to KR base to gain some payload.
Avoid the power tailgate, glass roof, and 20” wheels if you need payload. My PB King Ranch Mac Tow came in at 1575 lbs payload with those omitted
Sponsored