Towing an Airstream with Gen14, and ProPower 7.2

i2oadi2unnei2

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 XLT 3.5 EB 3.73 w/ HDPP @ #2541 payload
Too many variable and w/o real payload number but IMHO the 25 should be fine but for me that's a bit too close based on the amount of us 4 family, the dog and stuff that goes in the bed. Without knowing how you camp, just try not to load up the PB with options or that payload will surely go down fast. IF it was me and I have to have the PB, I'd stick to the XLT with max tow and tow mirrors and nothing else...YMMV.
Sponsored

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
John, you've done a thorough job of identifying all the numbers and, on paper, things j-u-s-t seem to fit. However, here are a couple of things that caught my eye. It looks like you're estimating a 12.5% figure for the AirStream's hitch weight. That could be do'able - my own measured hitch weight is 12.3% - but is that a known number? And to lessen the work placed on the truck more generally, you can tow without the (40 gals?) of water, just leaving enough in the tank to use the toilet during the day's travel with plans to fill on arrival. But that probably won't make a big difference on hitch weight. Another dimension to this whole puzzle is how things begin to accumulate - in the truck, truck bed and trailer - over time. It's just the nature of things to always want to add a bike, winter jackets, one of your kid's friends, the tool set you wished you had last trip, yet not prune things down again at the trip's end. That's one of the reasons it's best to have a few hundred pounds of payload wiggle room.

I don't know if you view JD's (Big Truck, Big RV) videos but here's one he does about hauling a trailer with a half ton truck. He gets to the meat and potatoes at about the 8 min mark altho' it's worth watching the whole thing. His punchline: "I never advise towing at your truck's maximum payload capacity.... I always want you to have a safe buffer." With your estimated payload capacity and despite your thoroughly itemized list of people, gear and food, it seems possible you could end up exceeding the 7350# GVWR by a bit or, with care given to the load out each time, be under that GVWR but not by several hundred pounds. Or at least that's my best guess based on the work you've shared with us.

Jack

biorchang

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I don’t think you can get 36 gallon on a powerboost. I think you are going to be at 1600 easily. I have 1350 payload on my 4x4 powerboost with sunroof, fx4, power tailgate, 7.2kw propower and Spray in bedliner...without those options I’d be over 1500.

Check out the new payload app on fords site and find a truck with similar build and enter VIN. It will give you payload and you can even enter your trailer and gear weights.

Yeah agreed. I added the tank to account for the tank on the powerboost...Was trying to load it a little heavy as a buffer.

Thanks for the feedback.
John, you've done a thorough job of identifying all the numbers and, on paper, things j-u-s-t seem to fit. However, here are a couple of things that caught my eye. It looks like you're estimating a 12.5% figure for the AirStream's hitch weight. That could be do'able - my own measured hitch weight is 12.3% - but is that a known number? And to lessen the work placed on the truck more generally, you can tow without the (40 gals?) of water, just leaving enough in the tank to use the toilet during the day's travel with plans to fill on arrival. But that probably won't make a big difference on hitch weight. Another dimension to this whole puzzle is how things begin to accumulate - in the truck, truck bed and trailer - over time. It's just the nature of things to always want to add a bike, winter jackets, one of your kid's friends, the tool set you wished you had last trip, yet not prune things down again at the trip's end. That's one of the reasons it's best to have a few hundred pounds of payload wiggle room.

I don't know if you view JD's (Big Truck, Big RV) videos but here's one he does about hauling a trailer with a half ton truck. He gets to the meat and potatoes at about the 8 min mark altho' it's worth watching the whole thing. His punchline: "I never advise towing at your truck's maximum payload capacity.... I always want you to have a safe buffer." With your estimated payload capacity and despite your thoroughly itemized list of people, gear and food, it seems possible you could end up exceeding the 7350# GVWR by a bit or, with care given to the load out each time, be under that GVWR but not by several hundred pounds. Or at least that's my best guess based on the work you've shared with us.

Jack
Yes thanks for the insightful post. I actually have watched JD's videos and thus the extreme effort to figure it out. Since I am new to the journey, I think I would have to keep to a smaller trailer with this particular F-150 if I were loading it up. Keeping light would be doable in certain scenarios, but definitely tight.

More time to sleep on this. Thanks all!

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Jack,

My understanding is that the trucks are being shipped with a sensor and cable to use now. With the Sync4 System being new, and the F150 getting the ProTrailer Back Up which has been on the super duty models, they are going to be providing a software update in the near future (hopefully OTA) so that we'll be able to use the stickers, and avoid the need to have an additional cable running from the trailer to the truck. The information provided with the truck has this information, along with about 6 stickers for future use.

I confirmed this with my service guys when I went in Monday for the trailer module flash. The thought was that it's only a matter of time.
I see you mentioned a "trailer module flash". I just picked up my PB yesterday, is there a flash that I need now for my trailer that isn't OTA?

OP
OP
dog_tired

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
I see you mentioned a "trailer module flash". I just picked up my PB yesterday, is there a flash that I need now for my trailer that isn't OTA?
David,

Some of the early builds had issues with the heated mirrors and trailer module, which required you to go to the dealer and allow them to install a firmware update or "flash". You'll know if you need one if there's an alert on your Ford Pass app.

There is supposed to be a second, OTA update to the Sync4 system and the ProTrailer Backup Assist, which will allow us to use the stickers for setting up the system, in place of the "yaw" cable and sensor which came with our trucks. Just have to stay tuned for that one to drop.

Sponsored

towingnp

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, 2021 F150 Lariat on order
This a great thread... I have Lariat PB 502 on order to tow my current and future Airstream (upgrading from 22 to 25). Truck has few options, affording me the payload I need. The question I have is more about range. Seems like:

1) The MPG when towing is lower than folks expected with the PB.
2) PB forces you into a smaller tank.

Since the F150 will not be a daily driver, should I ditch the PB option and go with a straight EB, benefiting from the larger tank and giving me even more payload?

What do folks think?

Appreciate all the opinions!

i2oadi2unnei2

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 XLT 3.5 EB 3.73 w/ HDPP @ #2541 payload
This a great thread... I have Lariat PB 502 on order to tow my current and future Airstream (upgrading from 22 to 25). Truck has few options, affording me the payload I need. The question I have is more about range. Seems like:

Since the F150 will not be a daily driver, should I ditch the PB option and go with a straight EB, benefiting from the larger tank and giving me even more payload?

What do folks think?

My .02 if I was in your shoe, YMMV:
-If not a daily driver than, PB...
-Longer drive w/o filling often, EB...
-Heavy Dutier frame i.e. HDDP, EB...
-Slightly better MPG, EB...
-Boondock often?, PB...

At the end of the day, for me EB makes more sense. Really depends on your usage, safe travels!

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB

What do folks think?

I'm looking at my decision based on if we ever plan to use a generator for boondocking or home power outages. Since we do, then the hybrid PB is the way to go as we'll get half the payload back from not having to load up a 100lb genny, nor service it, nor deal with having to keep filling it up, etc. We do lose power quite a bit here in N. Florida. When looking at comparable builds, I'm seeing between 1500-1700lb payload based on PB vs EB in an XLT 302a. And we are staying away from max tow. It doesn't provide any value for towing a travel trailer, in fact, it takes away payload. ymmv. good luck!

Fathardtail

First Name
Melinda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I'm looking at my decision based on if we ever plan to use a generator for boondocking or home power outages. Since we do, then the hybrid PB is the way to go as we'll get half the payload back from not having to load up a 100lb genny, nor service it, nor deal with having to keep filling it up, etc. We do lose power quite a bit here in N. Florida. When looking at comparable builds, I'm seeing between 1500-1700lb payload based on PB vs EB in an XLT 302a. And we are staying away from max tow. It doesn't provide any value for towing a travel trailer, in fact, it takes away payload. ymmv. good luck!
Exactly! I ordered the PB and the dealer kept trying to sell me Max Tow. I DEFINITELY think the generator is worth the hit in payload.

Sponsored

towingnp

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly! I ordered the PB and the dealer kept trying to sell me Max Tow. I DEFINITELY think the generator is worth the hit in payload.
Hit on payload and hit on range. Really like the generator idea and am managing payload by having ordered with basic options but the MPG/range is bugging me more and more.

Fathardtail

First Name
Melinda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Hit on payload and hit on range. Really like the generator idea and am managing payload by having ordered with basic options but the MPG/range is bugging me more and more.
Get a Rotopax and carry a little extra fuel! Are you overlanding?

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
I agree, Nic. Towing an RV up to Alaska and back, perhaps averaging 10 mpg, will result in sweaty palms a few times. A somewhat extreme use, perhaps, but that’s what trucks do.

Jack

towingnp

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Get a Rotopax and carry a little extra fuel! Are you overlanding?
Not really. We mostly set up our rig at campgrounds with services. Some boondocking here and there but mostly camp at fully outfitted sites.

Didn‘t know about Rotopax. Nice little product. Will have to get me one of those.

Last edited:

towingnp

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree, Nic. Towing an RV up to Alaska and back, perhaps averaging 10 mpg, will result in sweaty palms a few times. A somewhat extreme use, perhaps, but that’s what trucks do.

Jack
Totally. There are those used cases of driving to remote destinations. But there’s also times where the extra range would just get you to your destination without a fuel stop.

My heart says yes but my mind is saying no... Cons to PowerBoost are reduced range and payload, pros are the built in generator and extra torque.

But on that last point of the extra boost, I’m hearing confusing reports on the electric motor in tow haul. I get it won’t run on its own but will it run alongside the gas engine when needed, like going uphill?
Sponsored