First Name
Rahul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platty PB, 18 Audi Q7, 12 Infy G37x
Occupation
IT Professional
All of you that are so worried about the tagged payload rating need to relax. There are no payload rating “police”.
If your trailer tongue weight or actual weight in the bed is causing rear to sag a bit, all you should do is use the correct weight distribution hitch and/or use Timbrens or airbags.
If you’ll stay with under an 7000lb. dry weight trailer, I can assure you that you’ll be fine if your truck has at least the base factory trailer tow package. 3.73 gears will be a big plus.
Too many trailer sales folks mistakenly tell prospective customers that a 8500lb dry weight trailer will tow fine behind a 1/2 ton pickup.....not true. While it can be done legally, I would absolutely advise against it. You need a 3/4 ton to COMFORTABLY go that direction.
Stop worrying about your “payload sticker”.
I certainly don’t mean to come off as a know it all, but I’ve been doing the trailer scene both personally and professionally for over 40 years.
Thank you all so much!! I am glad to have joined this forum
Sponsored

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
That’s
Thanks for the response. Question: my PB has a payload of 1425#
If my tounge wt 1000# ( assuming 10,000# Trailer with including 1000# of cagro) , am I not running out out of runway. I have 4 passengers (600#) and truck cagro (400#). My dealer is saying I can still tow 12,000# based on tow ratings. Am I missing something?
A couple of things:
  • You need to count the weight of the driver and other occupants. So, if it is 4 passengers, you need to add the driver weight. Let’s say that’s what you mean.
  • The cargo weight in the truck (400#) is a number you might be able to manage down. You can put the cargo in the camper and secure it to reduce the hit.
  • As stated - you have 400 + 400 # of weight for cargo and (driver + passengers). So, your hitch weight should be within 614# to keep you within the payload. I suspect that your pin weight is overestimated, but check.
Otherwise, seems like the truck you have is not a good vehicle to tow what you are trying to tow. I see that some folks don’t think it is important - but I disagree. Exceeding the payload by the amounts you are projecting is definitely not a good idea.

Aside from the breakdowns in your suspension for regular overloading - if you have an accident, your setup can be weighed and impact your liability. The vehicle manufacturer set a GVWR for a reason - and don’t underestimate on the basis of some internet opinions.

PS: We too are payload constrained but have done careful calculations to stay within it.

OP
OP
dog_tired

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
@dog_tired How are you able to tow your aistream with a 1219 payload. Any breakfown on your left over payload and GVWR would be much appreciated. I dont want to scrap the idea of getting the PB.​
My AS is a 23' Front Bed (FB). If I recall correctly, the tongue weight is about 500 lbs. WIth the weight distribution hitch and bars, it tows like a champ. I haven't had it on the scales yet. But when I do, I'll report back. May not be for a few months.

i2oadi2unnei2

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 XLT 3.5 EB 3.73 w/ HDPP @ #2541 payload
As I mentioned previously lots of variations and options and endless opinion. At the end of the day you get to make the educated decisions and decide what's best for you. We're here to provide guidance and experience so take it with a grain of salt ;) Of course there's folks like Norris there above that owns and actually knows more than your average RV dealer or truck dealer :) Safe travels to all!

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
"Otherwise, seems like the truck you have is not a good vehicle to tow what you are trying to tow. I see that some folks don’t think it is important - but I disagree."

Me, too. Because hauling a trailer around the Rockies was new to us a few years ago, I sought out advice from seasoned haulers about just how much trailer I should try to be towing. Their advice was universally the same: Don't ask your TV to haul more than 2/3 to 3/4 of its various ratings. Jockey the variables - e.g. pick up water on arrival vs. filling your tank before you leave - but don't make the mistake of asking the truck to do the maximum that the marketing guys say is OK.

Maybe it would be useful for folks to revisit where SAE J2807 came from and how tow ratings are determined. The test is a welcome change from the pre-2013 'wild west' days when manufacturers used to pencil whip their tow ratings, so we're all safer now. But the tests being run by the manufacturers to this standard aren't done in 20+ mph cross winds, with blowing snow crossing the highway, on a route along or across a mountain range where each pass is followed by the next, or on one of our (many) rutted interstates that has the trailer hopping around a bit with a steady stream of semis blowing past. Or with some combination of the above. That's what those old hands had in mind when they were offering advice. And then there's the real world reality that truck beds and trailers collect stuff over time but rarely shed it. That is why weigh-ins are an important Spring commissioning exercise rather than a one-time activity.

I probably sound pretty rigid in my thinking about this topic, so apologies for sounding like a sermon. It's just that each element of weight management - GVWR of both TV and TT plus GCWR - is one of the serious sides of RV'ing.

Jack

Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
BTW.....those smaller Airstreams ROCK!

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
Waxer, couldn't agree more with you re: the PB's ProPower feature. Getting another real world data point is always helpful (especially when it comes from someone with the same exact trailer model and TV) so a little more info please. What speed do you typically tow at? And would you guess you typically tow close to the 1995's GVWR? I'm familiar with Cajon Pass; that's a tough tow. But I'm assuming the 11 mpg was for an extended number of miles, and with flat topography on both sides of the Pass on that trip. I realize we have somewhat unusual circumstances with most of our travel (and camping) routes being north & south, on one side of the Rocky Mtn. spine or the other. It seems like there's always another pass to climb over when we go out on the road, so I probably shouldn't grumble about a truck that already has 4 gals more gas than the old Tahoe we're currently working with. And thanks for jumping in with the trip report.

Jack
I usually tow at 60-65mph - my wife has an uncanny ability to sense when I hit 66 mph and ask if am going too fast! Besides two AGM batteries versus lithium, I am guessing I am pretty typical in how I am loaded. I have never weighed it loaded, but always think about doing so when I am passing commercial scales. Also considering a scale to measure tongue weight now that PB has cut into my payload.

Yes, my MPG is for total trip, not just heading up the grade.

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost hybrid on order
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the response. Question: my PB has a payload of 1425#
If my tounge wt 1000# ( assuming 10,000# Trailer with including 1000# of cagro) , am I not running out out of runway. I have 4 passengers (600#) and truck cagro (400#). My dealer is saying I can still tow 12,000# based on tow ratings. Am I missing something?
Hi Rahul,
Try plugging your numbers into the just released Ford towing configurator for your vehicle VIN number and that may give you a more specific answer to your question.
https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculator
Best regards,
Mark

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Rahul,
Try plugging your numbers into the just released Ford towing configurator for your vehicle VIN number and that may give you a more specific answer to your question.
https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculator
Best regards,
Mark
OH MY GOD! THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER...

We can get individual truck's payloads without visiting the lot, or way before our vehicles even arrive! This should be pinned, wow...

Rahul

First Name
Rahul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platty PB, 18 Audi Q7, 12 Infy G37x
Occupation
IT Professional
OH MY GOD! THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER...

We can get individual truck's payloads without visiting the lot, or way before our vehicles even arrive! This should be pinned, wow...
Thank you!!

Sponsored

biorchang

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Howdy All!

I am looking at buying a PB with the 7.2kw...and want some advice on towing an Airstream 25 Flying Cloud.

I have had zero luck with my local dealers helping me calculate payload for an XLT 4x4. So..

Check out the guide from Ford here: https://madocumentupload.marketingassociates.com/api/Document/GetFile?v1=5801030&v2=030921104434&v3=60&v4=30d456435196ddb4f1fbf807e8528753dac0c9dcb45ca23452f19351&v5=False

Starting on Pg. 27 Ford has listed the option weights. So adding all of mine up (4x4 is TBD) it comes to 195 lbs. That would put my cargo at 1645 - 4x4.

Max Payload for the PowerBoost 4x4 SuperCrew 145.4 = 1830
Option
XLT 4x4 SuperCrew Bed9
110/400W AC Power Outlet3
Axle Ratio, Limited Slip2
Carpet3
Cruise Control3
Floor Mats6
Front License Plate Bracket1
36 Gallon Fuel Tank83
Power Pedals7
Box Lighting1
Box Cleats8
Keyless Entry4
Remote Tailgate Release3
Running Boards Chrome29
Seat, Power 10 way13
Heated Seats Front4
Side Mirrors6
SYNC 33
18" Wheel1
Sliding Rear Window6

So Max Payload - Options = Payload of configured truck.

1830 - 195 = 1645

Does this seem right? I am assuming 1600 lbs. payload. With a family of 4 at 560lbs., I think this puts me consuming most of my payload by the time I load up the Airstream with cargo and a full tank of clean water.

Thoughts? Am I pushing this build too hard?

Thanks for thoughts.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
John, what is the Airstream 25 Flying Cloud's GVWR? And what is the total weight of everything else that you will be carrying in the XLT, aside from your family of four? Pooch, camping gear, food, bikes, everything else in the truck?

Jack

biorchang

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
John, what is the Airstream 25 Flying Cloud's GVWR? And what is the total weight of everything else that you will be carrying in the XLT, aside from your family of four? Pooch, camping gear, food, bikes, everything else in the truck?

Jack

Here are my calculations:

RV SPECS
Dry Weight5,503
GVWR7,300
Hitch Weight837
TRUCK SPECS
Curb Weight 5,705
GVWR 7,350
GCWR 17,000
Payload Capacity 1,645
Towing Capacity 11,000
GVWR and Payload
Passengers 560
Cargo - Camping Gear 50
WDH 146
Total payload (w/o hitch weight) 756
Hitch Weight of trailer 837
Total payload (hitched up) 1,593
Payload leftover52
GCWR and Tow Capacity
GCVW Hitched 12,315
GCVW Avail. 4,685
RV GVWR
Dry Weight5,503
Full Water 307
Batteries0
Camping Gear500
Food/h20/clothes300
Gross Weight Est.6,610
GVWR7,300
RV Avail.690

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Howdy All!

I am looking at buying a PB with the 7.2kw...and want some advice on towing an Airstream 25 Flying Cloud.

I have had zero luck with my local dealers helping me calculate payload for an XLT 4x4. So..

Check out the guide from Ford here: https://madocumentupload.marketingassociates.com/api/Document/GetFile?v1=5801030&v2=030921104434&v3=60&v4=30d456435196ddb4f1fbf807e8528753dac0c9dcb45ca23452f19351&v5=False

Starting on Pg. 27 Ford has listed the option weights. So adding all of mine up (4x4 is TBD) it comes to 195 lbs. That would put my cargo at 1645 - 4x4.

Max Payload for the PowerBoost 4x4 SuperCrew 145.4 = 1830
Option
XLT 4x4 SuperCrew Bed9
110/400W AC Power Outlet3
Axle Ratio, Limited Slip2
Carpet3
Cruise Control3
Floor Mats6
Front License Plate Bracket1
36 Gallon Fuel Tank83
Power Pedals7
Box Lighting1
Box Cleats8
Keyless Entry4
Remote Tailgate Release3
Running Boards Chrome29
Seat, Power 10 way13
Heated Seats Front4
Side Mirrors6
SYNC 33
18" Wheel1
Sliding Rear Window6

So Max Payload - Options = Payload of configured truck.

1830 - 195 = 1645

Does this seem right? I am assuming 1600 lbs. payload. With a family of 4 at 560lbs., I think this puts me consuming most of my payload by the time I load up the Airstream with cargo and a full tank of clean water.

Thoughts? Am I pushing this build too hard?

Thanks for thoughts.

I don’t think you can get 36 gallon on a powerboost. I think you are going to be at 1600 easily. I have 1350 payload on my 4x4 powerboost with sunroof, fx4, power tailgate, 7.2kw propower and Spray in bedliner...without those options I’d be over 1500.

Check out the new payload app on fords site and find a truck with similar build and enter VIN. It will give you payload and you can even enter your trailer and gear weights.
Sponsored