Sponsored

Towing a trailer with a Lightning might not be a good plan.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Anyone with half a brain knows any EV truck is useless as a tow vehicle.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
Straight up not ready for prime time and of particular note, the charging stations are not oriented well for a full sized truck pulling a trailer...

Longdeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Platinum 701A PB
Occupation
Retired Drives & Controls Automation Electrical Engineer
As a retired Industrial Automation Electrical Engineer working as Consultant in the industry leading up to retirement, my life was specializing in AC/DC motors, drives, controls, and power distribution. Personal opinion as far as EV, it’s in infancy now and has long ways to go to work efficiently as it can be in the future.

Research is being done on making magnets pure on earth to reduce heat losses. Heat dispelled from the magnets making up permanent magnet motors is energy loss. Hotter the environment and heavier the load, heat loss becomes worst, therefore becoming less efficient, requiring higher ampere consumption, draining the source of power being the battery.

The only way the making of pure magnets and associated wire conductors without energy losses that I know of is in zero gravity or near to it. This is where outer space becomes high importance for future of EV for making pure magnets and associated electrical wire conductors. This is where I think the genius of Elon Musk in developing SpaceX for the future of space travel and developing sites on Mars for manufacturing items such as pure magnets is vital for EV future. Oh, that boring machine company of Elon is just not for this earth but getting around and accessing underground minerals need on Mars.

As far as the power distribution grid in USA, it is sorely lacking future planning & implementation to support the minimum of EV energy requirements now. That’s another longer subject so I would advise for now the continue development of Hybrids like the Ford PowerBoost for pulling load instead of EV’s if you want to get there sooner than later.

Sponsored

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Eventually) an F-150 PowerBoost
Oh shit! Later in the video they refer to a "320 mile range", so it only got 85.9 miles with the extended range battery, towing a 6,000 pound trailer.

That is fucking sad. That means that at least for me, an electric F-150 will not be viable until the range greatly improves.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I said it before and I'll say it again - we need a secondary "battery exchange" like they have propane exchange at gas stations. Lot of hurdles to overcome but basically you want your refuels stops (distance and duration) to be on par with ICE so you can travel long distances.

That patented Range Extender we've seen is one way to get ICE refuel parity but I don't know what the charge rate is when simultaneously driving. With swappable batteries in addition to main battery, you could have it deplete the swappable ones first so that you could always have the 100mi main battery range to find next swappable ones.

The payload on the Lightning that KYD tested was >1800# so maybe there is room for range extenders or spare batteries in the bed! I was shocked.

OP
OP
HSV_MIkeJ

HSV_MIkeJ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.music-by-mike.com
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, SC Rapid Red
Occupation
DJ
As a retired Industrial Automation Electrical Engineer working as Consultant in the industry leading up to retirement, my life was specializing in AC/DC motors, drives, controls, and power distribution. Personal opinion as far as EV, it’s in infancy now and has long ways to go to work efficiently as it can be in the future.

Research is being done on making magnets pure on earth to reduce heat losses. Heat dispelled from the magnets making up permanent magnet motors is energy loss. Hotter the environment and heavier the load, heat loss becomes worst, therefore becoming less efficient, requiring higher ampere consumption, draining the source of power being the battery.

The only way the making of pure magnets and associated wire conductors without energy losses that I know of is in zero gravity or near to it. This is where outer space becomes high importance for future of EV for making pure magnets and associated electrical wire conductors. This is where I think the genius of Elon Musk in developing SpaceX for the future of space travel and developing sites on Mars for manufacturing items such as pure magnets is vital for EV future. Oh, that boring machine company of Elon is just not for this earth but getting around and accessing underground minerals need on Mars.

As far as the power distribution grid in USA, it is sorely lacking future planning & implementation to support the minimum of EV energy requirements now. That’s another longer subject so I would advise for now the continue development of Hybrids like the Ford PowerBoost for pulling load instead of EV’s if you want to get there sooner than later.
Making them on mar would be better since Mar's has about

In space would be the best with only micro gravity, Mars has about 38% of Earth's gravity and the Moon has about 17% of Earth's gravity. But the only way any of it works is starting with mining in space like on asteroids.

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
I said it before and I'll say it again - we need a secondary "battery exchange" like they have propane exchange at gas stations. Lot of hurdles to overcome but basically you want your refuels stops (distance and duration) to be on par with ICE so you can travel long distances.

That patented Range Extender we've seen is one way to get ICE refuel parity but I don't know what the charge rate is when simultaneously driving. With swappable batteries in addition to main battery, you could have it deplete the swappable ones first so that you could always have the 100mi main battery range to find next swappable ones.

The payload on the Lightning that KYD tested was >1800# so maybe there is room for range extenders or spare batteries in the bed! I was shocked.
I remember years ago they did that battery swap on a model S I think on stage. Took about as long as fuel fill up. Hasn't been much talk about it since though.
Perhaps the trailer industry will start something, as you pull the trailer it generates power that's sent back into the truck.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Perhaps the trailer industry will start something, as you pull the trailer it generates power that's sent back into the truck.
That's going to just cause more resistance for the tow vehicle. What is being developed and has been shown is a tailer with a electric drive motor and it's own battery.

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
The movement to more electric vehicles by many manufacturers will put additional R&D into advancing battery technology that doesn't yet exist to increase, possibly double or triple capacity in the same space similarly to how disk drives have grown over the last two decades in the same physical space. My guess would be early 2030s we'd see cars with 500 miles of range.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
The movement to more electric vehicles by many manufacturers will put additional R&D into advancing battery technology that doesn't yet exist to increase, possibly double or triple capacity in the same space similarly to how disk drives have grown over the last two decades in the same physical space. My guess would be early 2030s we'd see cars with 500 miles of range.
I agree, well somewhat. With lithium being a finite element and primarily what’s found in todays well everything with a battery pack, we are going to need to find a way to use less of it a lot more efficiently than we are now.

Or we need to come up with a way to make it synthetically, or find something else that works better.

The other issue is what to do with it after it ceases to be useful. Im pretty certain it can be neutralized, but does that make it recyclable or just more garbage…probably one you can’t burn?

No doubt it will get better, it already has in a fairly short time. As far as big trucks and towing though, right now I feel like it’s going to degrade those batteries much sooner than a car, because your running them flat and charging back up so often. I wouldn’t want to buy a used high mileage lightening, especially one that has towed a lot for this very reason.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I agree, well somewhat. With lithium being a finite element and primarily what’s found in todays well everything with a battery pack, we are going to need to find a way to use less of it a lot more efficiently than we are now.

Or we need to come up with a way to make it synthetically, or find something else that works better.

The other issue is what to do with it after it ceases to be useful. Im pretty certain it can be neutralized, but does that make it recyclable or just more garbage…probably one you can’t burn?

No doubt it will get better, it already has in a fairly short time. As far as big trucks and towing though, right now I feel like it’s going to degrade those batteries much sooner than a car, because your running them flat and charging back up so often. I wouldn’t want to buy a used high mileage lightening, especially one that has towed a lot for this very reason.
I'm just looking at it from a innovation and competition perspective. When the only thing that could really differentiate electric cars in the future is the exterior shape and comfort of the seats, manufacturers will want to use range as a competitive selling point. That will drive battery innovation.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
I'm just looking at it from a innovation and competition perspective. When the only thing that could really differentiate electric cars in the future is the exterior shape and comfort of the seats, manufacturers will want to use range as a competitive selling point. That will drive battery innovation.
No doubt. Range even now is almost the #1 selling point. I think it’s trumped by the cost of gasoline in most consumers minds but I believe the two go hand in hand.

I remember how innovative and great ni-cad batteries were and now that I think about it, they were actually terrible lol. How did we ever survive with such technology? :)

KDPGame02

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Software Development & Design
That's going to just cause more resistance for the tow vehicle. What is being developed and has been shown is a tailer with a electric drive motor and it's own battery.
Airstream came out with their eStream concept in February that is basically this very thing. Imagine towing a trailer with its own power source where your tow vehicle mileage is unaffected, if not improved. It'll be incredible when it comes to market...assuming it's mostly sunny, of course.
Sponsored