Sponsored

Towing a Mustang on Uhaul trailer with 5.0?

Strengthrehab

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 STX
Seems Uhaul doesn't believe the truck can handle this? I tried getitng a rate online and the site wouldnt let me price is out stating "this combination is not recommended with the auto hauler.". .

Has anyone rented a uhaul auto trailer with 5.0 F150? I figure the 9700 towing capacity should be adequate, but Uhaul doesn't think so, apparently.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Strengthrehab

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 STX
yeah, I've seen that they rate ability to tow based on tow vehicle weight and towed vehicle weight. Most people seem to get around this by listing the towed vehicle as something light like a 74 Beetle

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
I was told years ago that they won't rent auto haulers to anyone using anything less than a 3/4 ton truck...even after me renting them for almost a decade and towing with my Scout...but that is seemingly subjective to the individual outlets.
Doesn't matter what the manufacturer rates the truck at it's U-hauls in house rule (lawyers probably)

Darrell

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I hauled the wife's Civic with a Honda Ridgeline when I sold the Ridgeline to Carvana and they aren't local here. So, we towed the car and drove it home.

Javashot1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Warehousing
Seems Uhaul doesn't believe the truck can handle this? I tried getitng a rate online and the site wouldnt let me price is out stating "this combination is not recommended with the auto hauler.". .

Has anyone rented a uhaul auto trailer with 5.0 F150? I figure the 9700 towing capacity should be adequate, but Uhaul doesn't think so, apparently.
You should be fine. I rented a double axle trailer from them this summer to move my son. They told me the same about my 2.7 EB. I figured the cargo trailer and load was under my trucks tow rating and signed the waiver they presented. Hauled his stuff 1200 miles just fine - even over Smokey Mtns. Truck never sweated it..

Sponsored

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
I find that it has more to do with what your towing. For example, my CTS-V doesn’t have enough clearance for the ramps, so they decline it as not an allowable tow. I just build some step-ups with 2x4’s and it works just fine.

I just tell them I’m towing a Honda CRV.

OGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
"It seems U-haul doesn't believe the truck can handle this. I tried getting a rate online & the site wouldn't let me price it out stating "this combination is not recommended w/the auto hauler." Has anyone rented a U-haul auto trailer w/a 5.0 F-150? I figure the 9,700 towing capacity should be adequate, but U-haul doesn't think so."
While I currently have a 2021 F-150 w/a max tow package, when I picked up a 2019 Mustang a couple of years ago, I had a 2005 5.4 Expedition w/tow package & had zero issues w/a U-haul trailer rental. I could see a problem w/a Subaru, but an F-150?

r-model

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Competition Orange Mustang GT with some goodies, 2021 F150 XLT 302A Velocity Blue (ordered)
Occupation
designer
This past August, I rented a U-haul trailer and towed my '15 GT, when on the u-haul website, the trick is to pick the right conditions, the weight is critical, I picked the higher one as my build is rated for a 13,000 lbs. trailer
Sponsored