First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 302A
Occupation
Electrician
I suspect I'm at or very close to the limit, I'll see how it tows on Tuesday. I'm more worried about the tires then anything to be honest.
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch 4x4 Ecoboost 3.5L
Thanks much. I have a Powerboost Full Hybrid with Max Trailer Tow, and also will be pulling a 26ft Tri-Toon with a 300HP engine. Was interested in whether or not you had the weight distributing hitch or not. Have you used the pro trailer assist, and if so was it a pain to place the sensors on the trailer?
Im also trying to decide what ball mount I get, not sure if I want to go with one with multi positions or just a standard drop and flip like you did if needed...
@meyer_22 I do not use a weight distributing hitch. Most don’t support surge brakes but I know there is at least one that does.

The sensor wasn’t hard to mount but I’m not sure it calibrated right. It kept asking me to turn sharper. I if I turned any sharper I might have damaged the truck. What a dumb setup process. Also, I remove my trailer light connector prior to launching at the lake, and it didn’t recognize the trailer without both plugs attached to the vehicle, so it was useless. My trailer has a surge brake so there isn’t much room to mount a sticker once they are supported. I’m not sure Pro Trailer assist will ever be usable with this boat. I’ll need to stop just short of the water and unhook everything. That’s a hassle.

Larry Arizona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2019 F150
@meyer_22 I do not use a weight distributing hitch. Most don’t support surge brakes but I know there is at least one that does.

The sensor wasn’t hard to mount but I’m not sure it calibrated right. It kept asking me to turn sharper. I if I turned any sharper I might have damaged the truck. What a dumb setup process. Also, I remove my trailer light connector prior to launching at the lake, and it didn’t recognize the trailer without both plugs attached to the vehicle, so it was useless. My trailer has a surge brake so there isn’t much room to mount a sticker once they are supported. I’m not sure Pro Trailer assist will ever be usable with this boat. I’ll need to stop just short of the water and unhook everything. That’s a hassle.
The sensor works great on my boat trailer. Why do you unplug before putting boat in lake?

I had the sensor partially submerged and no issues.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
The sensor works great on my boat trailer. Why do you unplug before putting boat in lake?

I had the sensor partially submerged and no issues.
You have to unplug most boat trailers before submerging the trailer for obvious reasons - lights would be shorted, etc.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
You have to unplug most boat trailers before submerging the trailer for obvious reasons - lights would be shorted, etc.
I have never unplugged a boat trailer before puting in or taking out. Never had any issues.

Sponsored

Larry Arizona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2019 F150
I think that may have been true 25 years ago, my last two boat trailers are made by Boatmate and they are designed and intended to fully submerge.

I would bet all modern boat trailers are using sealed connectors and light fixtures.

My trailer needs power to activate the reverse solenoid on the surge brakes.

OP
OP
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch 4x4 Ecoboost 3.5L
@Larry Arizona it really depends on the wiring in the trailer. My trailer was built in 2019 for the 2020 model year of my boat. The trailer manual says to disconnect to prevent blown fuses. When I first bought it I learned mice had gotten into it at the dealer and chewed the wires. It constantly blew fuses in my Nissan Titan.

The boat dealer fixed the wiring, but again the trailer manual says to unplug trailer lights before submerging.?‍♂ It tried to unplug just the brakes and the Pro Trailer Backup said it could not detect the trailer.

Larry Arizona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2019 F150
I will agree that if the launch is shallow enough that you submerge the axle, exhaust and bumper, you should unplug.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I have never unplugged a boat trailer before puting in or taking out. Never had any issues.
Every boat towing instruction course and manual will tell you to unplug your trailer before submerging it. You have been VERY lucky so far and have unquestionably dodged multiple bullets. There is NO question that you must do this.
Sponsored