• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tow Technology Package and resale value

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So - I really have no interest in the Tow package (I use my truck for hauling, not towing - don't even own a trailer). The scales would be neat to have just as a party trick and to make sure I don't overload the truck when hauling, but nothing else in the package interests me. And less equipment means less weight in the truck!

That said, I could see where not having that package could impact resale / trade in value in the future since (I assume) most folks would want it. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it worth getting just to protect future value?
Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
So - I really have no interest in the Tow package (I use my truck for hauling, not towing - don't even own a trailer). The scales would be neat to have just as a party trick and to make sure I don't overload the truck when hauling, but nothing else in the package interests me. And less equipment means less weight in the truck!

That said, I could see where not having that package could impact resale / trade in value in the future since (I assume) most folks would want it. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it worth getting just to protect future value?
FWIW - I got the tow (not max tow) package for the same reason. I did not base it on actual data, just my gut instinct.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
I think the "Tow Technology Package" you refer to in the title of this thread only includes things like the brake controller, backup assist, 360 cameras. This package does nothing to increase the actual tow rating of the vehicle. It would still be at the base 7000lbs, or close to that depending on configuration. (cab, box, 4x4, ect)

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I would make that choice depending on which engine and trim level you get. There is next to no benefit to pay the extra money for the tow package, and it's almost throwing money in a fire to get the Max Tow, on the PowerBoost, because it has the key benefits of both packages. You have the locking 3.73 HD rear dif, you have the highest GVWR possible on the PB, you have the higher capacity cooling, all you really get going tow package over tow tech is a line item on the window sticker.

With that in mind, my PB Lariat has basically every option you can get, including power running boards, but I stuck with Tow Tech because spending extra money up front for the 1% chance someone would even check the original window sticker when buying the truck used and also know the different packages seemed like a waste.

Now, if you are getting the 2.7L or 5.0L, I think that can be different. I would consider the tow packages because some of the options improve cooling which can be just as critical when hauling a lot of weight. All that said, my 2017 and 2019 had no tow packages. On my 2019 I had the 2.7L, but it was a Lariat so it came with the receiver and some other tow items, I selected to add the brake controller and I am glad I did since I helped my dad move and towed his enclosed trailer, which I didn't anticipate needing to do when I ordered it.

But the Tow Tech covers the reverse guidance and brake controller. That is what most people buying a used F-150 are going to look for. Heck, most of us are on this site a ton and know these trucks front to back, but thanks to Ford's guides most can't tell you all the differences between the different tow packages and engine combos. I think the chance of someone buying your truck giving you more for it to overcome the extra upfront cost is almost entirely unlikely.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I think the "Tow Technology Package" you refer to in the title of this thread only includes things like the brake controller, backup assist, 360 cameras. This package does nothing to increase the actual tow rating of the vehicle. It would still be at the base 7000lbs, or close to that depending on configuration. (cab, box, 4x4, ect)
Correct - from the Ford website it includes the trailer brake controller, onboard scales, pro trailer backup assist, smart hitch, smart trailer tow connector, pro trailer hitch assist, trailer camera, and trailer reverse guidance

Sponsored
OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
An
I would make that choice depending on which engine and trim level you get. There is next to no benefit to pay the extra money for the tow package, and it's almost throwing money in a fire to get the Max Tow, on the PowerBoost, because it has the key benefits of both packages. You have the locking 3.73 HD rear dif, you have the highest GVWR possible on the PB, you have the higher capacity cooling, all you really get going tow package over tow tech is a line item on the window sticker.

With that in mind, my PB Lariat has basically every option you can get, including power running boards, but I stuck with Tow Tech because spending extra money up front for the 1% chance someone would even check the original window sticker when buying the truck used and also know the different packages seemed like a waste.

Now, if you are getting the 2.7L or 5.0L, I think that can be different. I would consider the tow packages because some of the options improve cooling which can be just as critical when hauling a lot of weight. All that said, my 2017 and 2019 had no tow packages. On my 2019 I had the 2.7L, but it was a Lariat so it came with the receiver and some other tow items, I selected to add the brake controller and I am glad I did since I helped my dad move and towed his enclosed trailer, which I didn't anticipate needing to do when I ordered it.

But the Tow Tech covers the reverse guidance and brake controller. That is what most people buying a used F-150 are going to look for. Heck, most of us are on this site a ton and know these trucks front to back, but thanks to Ford's guides most can't tell you all the differences between the different tow packages and engine combos. I think the chance of someone buying your truck giving you more for it to overcome the extra upfront cost is almost entirely unlikely.
And.......I just realized I didn't post this in the correct sub-forum! In my case I am considering what options to select for the Lightning (leaning towards XLT, but haven't ruled out Lariat - need the build and price tool) I put a reservation in for.

Coacher

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 3.5 302a
This may be geographical. On the used market there is demand for work trucks. I know of a couple landscape companies that target white supercrew 6.5 boxes with about 100,000 miles with moderate tow and haul capabilities. On the RV forums Iā€™ve read a few people specifically looking for used trucks just to tow their trailers and not as a DD.

As they say YMMV.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
An

And.......I just realized I didn't post this in the correct sub-forum! In my case I am considering what options to select for the Lightning (leaning towards XLT, but haven't ruled out Lariat - need the build and price tool) I put a reservation in for.
Ha!

In that case, I am not entirely sure. I think if you are uncertain, the added cost of the Tow Package isn't make or break when spending the cost of the truck anyway. I wouldn't stress over it too much, and go on the side of caution and just get the tow package. None of us have driven the lightning to give impressions of ride differences between tow packages (on a 5.0L for example, the Tow Tech will ride much softer than the Max Tow because it will have the single leaf setup new to the '21s).

The lightning being coil, I suspect they will have some stiffer springs on the rear potentially. That may make the everyday ride a bit stiffer, but may make for a much better ride if you put 1000lbs in the bed.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
There is some mis-information in this thread related to the F150 Lightning. First off the towing capacity is related to battery size. The standard range battery is rated to tow 7,700 pounds but the extended range battery is rated to tow 10,000 pounds.

The extended range battery, Towing Technology Package and Max Trailer Tow Package are standard with the Platinum trim but optional on all of other trim packages. All trim levels of the F150 Lightning come standard with a Class IV hitch. Unlike the 7-pin and 4-pin trailer plugs that come standard, the Towing Technology Package comes with 7-pin and 12-pin trailer plugs.

The 12-pin is used in addition to the the 7-pin plug, not instead of. The 12-pin plug is for the trailer backup camera and trailer tire pressure monitoring system. There may be some other features available with the 12-pin plug but what I mentioned is all I know about for sure.

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
Note that the standard range pack version without Max Trailer Tow Package will tow 5,000 lb. Still 2,000 lb payload, though. 7,700 lb rating is with the Max Trailer Tow Package.

I haven't read what the extended range pack version can tow when it's not equipped with the Max Trailer Tow Package--anyone seen this datum?

Another oddity is that on the gas F-150 the Towing Technology Package throws in the 360 degree camera yet on the Lightning that package doesn't seem to include it.

Sponsored

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
IIRC, tow tech was a good bargain way to get 360 cameras on the ICE models - in addition to other benefits others have been mentioning. I know after having my truck for about 3 months, every single one of them in the future will have the full 360 camera setup. Super happy with that choice I made. My truck off the lot came with the middle tow package so I had to add 360 separately.

Also, FWIW, my mindset is I always want a tow package on my truck. Life is just too random for me in what I might use a truck for. I'll gladly forgo "bling" feature options in favor of all-around core capabilities. Everyone, of course, is different, and there is no right or wrong, just a matter of what you prefer. As far as resale, for me, if I'm buying used and it doesn't have tow package, I'm moving on to one that does. But, I don't think you'd have any shortage of interested buyers without it, either.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Note that the standard range pack version without Max Trailer Tow Package will tow 5,000 lb. Still 2,000 lb payload, though. 7,700 lb rating is with the Max Trailer Tow Package.

I haven't read what the extended range pack version can tow when it's not equipped with the Max Trailer Tow Package--anyone seen this datum?

Another oddity is that on the gas F-150 the Towing Technology Package throws in the 360 degree camera yet on the Lightning that package doesn't seem to include it.
Your posting is in total disagreement with the F150 Lightning spec sheet (see attached). You really should verify your information before you post. BTW, you subtract trailer tongue weight from truck load capacity, you don't subtract truck load capacity from trailer weight.

Attachments

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Never mind, havenā€™t looked at the lightning packages.

I feel if I had a Lightning it wouldnā€™t be for any long distance towing (maybe hauling a load to the local dump, etc). I would probably go with the cheapest option that gets a class IV hitch.

Last edited:

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Never mind, havenā€™t looked at the lightning packages.

I feel if I had a Lightning it wouldnā€™t be for any long distance towing (maybe hauling a load to the local dump, etc). I would probably go with the cheapest option that gets a class IV hitch.
Hmm. From what I have read, EVs tow very efficiently provided you keep your speed down. Regenerative braking comes in real handy juicing up while going down hills. One of my big interests in the F150 Lightning is being able to hook a big travel trailer to back and touring the continent gas free.

Last edited:

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
Your posting is in total disagreement with the F150 Lightning spec sheet (see attached). You really should verify your information before you post. BTW, you subtract trailer tongue weight from truck load capacity, you don't subtract truck load capacity from trailer weight.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tow Technology Package and resale value Capture.PNG

Note that the towing numbers reported are with the Max Trailer Tow Package. Which is exactly what I said.

Standard range towing without said package is reported as 5,000 lb. It's not in that PDF but has been in other Ford materials and is on the web here and there. Also as I wrote, I haven't seen anyone report the towing capacity for the extended range without Max Trailer Tow Package. Maybe it's also 5,000 lb. Maybe it isn't.

And I also didn't conflate payload and towing. I noted that the payload remains at 2,000 lb even without the Max Trailer Tow Package.

In summary, you really should verify your information before you post.
Sponsored