Sponsored

Brute150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FiST
Doing what Ford should have done in their document:

2021 F-150 Tow Package Breakdown.png
I understand this is an old thread, but i noticed an error on the above chart.
The Tow tech package requires a Class IV hitch which offers you the 7 pin harness and class IV hitch.
Hence the updated chart should have Y on those two columns.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I understand this is an old thread, but i noticed an error on the above chart.
The Tow tech package requires a Class IV hitch which offers you the 7 pin harness and class IV hitch.
Hence the updated chart should have Y on those two columns.
IT requires it, but does not include it, which is why I left it. I will post a link to a new thread on this.

Brute150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FiST
Yeah it does show that for the Max tow, though I am wondering if the upgraded radiator, trans cooler, and oil cooler are now standard in 2021. The 2020 had the coolers and the radiator as well as the front stabilizer bar. Though the 2021 doesn't show it in the towing guide.

2020 Tow Guide:

f150-2020.PNG

2021 Tow Guide:
f150-2021.PNG

Note that Aux. Auto Trans. Oil Cooler and Radiator upgrade are omitted from 2021.

I also see this in the towing guide:
5 Do not exceed a trailer weight
of 7,000 lbs. (3,175 kg) or 36 sq. ft. (3.4 sq. m) trailer frontal
area with only the Class IV hitch (53B), without the Trailer
Tow Package (53A).

Looking at the 3.5L Hybrid V6^5:
3.73: 17,000 = 11,000 towing.

My question is can I tow more than 7,000lbs with the Tow Technology Package (17T) or do I need to get the Max Tow or Trailer Tow Package to pull up to the theoretical max of 11,000+ lbs? As the tow guide doesn't show any updated coolers, then what does the Trailer Tow and Max Tow do to give you to tow above 7,000lbs? I currently see nothing that would prevent me from doing it as the Lariat comes equipped with Class 4 and 7pin. Other than the small disclaimer about not towing more than 7,000lbs w/o Trailer Tow or Max Tow, I am trying to figure out if this is a miss print or is there something else that has been omitted?

Note: I know payload is going to be limitation and I won't tow 11,000. Though I do tow boats that can be as low as 6% tongue weight and I want to fully understand what I am buying.

Hello Forum,
This is the exact question i have.
Can a Lariat PB4x4 5.5ft bed with tow tech pkg(17T) tow 11k lbs or do i need to get the Trailer tow package(53B)?
FYI Class IV hitch package is 53A and Max trailer tow package is 53C.
I am ordering a Lariat and my dealer is also unable to answer this question.
I called the Ford customer care, they didnt have this information either. In fact, they said with trailer tow package, it can tow 12000lbs(which is incorrect).

Any help or information on this is appreciated.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Hello Forum,
This is the exact question i have.
Can a Lariat PB4x4 5.5ft bed with tow tech pkg(17T) tow 11k lbs or do i need to get the Trailer tow package(53B)?
FYI Class IV hitch package is 53A and Max trailer tow package is 53C.
I am ordering a Lariat and my dealer is also unable to answer this question.
I called the Ford customer care, they didnt have this information either. In fact, they said with trailer tow package, it can tow 12000lbs(which is incorrect).

Any help or information on this is appreciated.
Here's a consolidated doc with the detailed specs.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...nt-bumper-vs-class-iv-vs-tow-vs-max-tow.1188/

Regarding your build:

First 53A is the trailer tow package, 53B is the Class IV Hitch, and 53C is the Max trailer tow. '
Next, yes you are capped at 7,000 even with 17T and 53B (hitch only). 53A (trailer tow) gets a solid stabilizer bar allowing it to go to 11K, and 53C (max trailer tow) adds a reinforced bumper, larger rear axle (might be on some non max tow based on GAWR) and larger rear brakes. Most of the other things are mute on a PB, like the tank, rear axle, and upgraded radiator.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...nt-bumper-vs-class-iv-vs-tow-vs-max-tow.1188/

Regarding your build:

First 53A is the trailer tow package, 53B is the Class IV Hitch, and 53C is the Max trailer tow. '
Next, yes you are capped at 7,000 even with 17T and 53B (hitch only). 53A (trailer tow) gets a solid stabilizer bar allowing it to go to 11K, and 53C (max trailer tow) adds a reinforced bumper, larger rear axle (might be on some non max tow based on GAWR) and larger rear brakes. Most of the other things are mute on a PB, like the tank, rear axle, and upgraded radiator.
The tank of PB a firm 30 gal, it can't be equipped with the 36gal. Radiator is the same for all PB according to the spec sheet.

Sponsored

eff150

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 3 series

Regarding your build:

Sounds like the trailer tow is the best way to go on a PB build then as the max tow only gets you upgraded bumper and brakes which to me are negligible.

Does the trailer two package include the same trailer brake controller and pro trailer backup with reverse guidance as the max tow? Looking through this thread there was some speculation it was different.

One thing is for certain is they have made this unnecessarily confusing and annoying to track down all the info...

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Sounds like the trailer tow is the best way to go on a PB build then as the max tow only gets you upgraded bumper and brakes which to me are negligible.

Does the trailer two package include the same trailer brake controller and pro trailer backup with reverse guidance as the max tow? Looking through this thread there was some speculation it was different.

One thing is for certain is they have made this unnecessarily confusing and annoying to track down all the info...
You’re right max tow is not a good value on the PB. I got it when it was $260 more than the regular tow package and now they are sticking me with $650 more... hopefully it has resale value. I will be one of very few max tow, tow mirror powerboosts, at least in the 2021. That’s what I’m telling myself so I don’t have to wait for a whole new truck.

As for the controller, I THINK they are all the same. I can’t get a handle on if trailer reverse guidance is included in pro backup assist or not either and Ford said no but that doesn’t mean anything. That means you only get it in tow tech, which I find hard to believe. I need someone with it.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
You’re right max tow is not a good value on the PB. I got it when it was $260 more than the regular tow package and now they are sticking me with $650 more... hopefully it has resale value. I will be one of very few max tow, tow mirror powerboosts, at least in the 2021. That’s what I’m telling myself so I don’t have to wait for a whole new truck.

As for the controller, I THINK they are all the same. I can’t get a handle on if trailer reverse guidance is included in pro backup assist or not either and Ford said no but that doesn’t mean anything. That means you only get it in tow tech, which I find hard to believe. I need someone with it.
I'm in the PB+maxtow+mirrors club with ya, and so is @currybob!

What if rather than incompetence confusion in their documentation, it is actually brilliant strategy to purposely obfuscate the real differences, so that people like myself that don't want to take chances on bad info splurge for the max tow and be done with it? It sure worked on me...

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
After looking through some additional information, I have come to the conclusion that 4,000 lbs of additional towing is going to cost me an additional $995. I don't see a single thing different between the Tow Tech and Trailer Tow (on a 701A Platinum) except, it seems, the rear stabilizer. It just sucks that you get Tow Tech included in the 701A, but are given no consideration for taking it off and replacing with Trailer Tow.

Has anyone seen any sticker on member truck or on dealer sites showing the towing capacity?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone seen any sticker on member truck or on dealer sites showing the towing capacity?
That's the problem with Ford it seems, the other vendors (at least GM) seems to put a VIN specific sticker with all the tow capabilities right on the door jamb.

All we get is a brochure and infinite interpretation combinations as to how to map that to our vehicles.

Sponsored

Brute150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FiST
Looks like you get all towing tech with the trailer tow package. Only catch is, you end up paying extra for the 360 camera.
I am not 100% sure if you get the trailer reverse guidance. My guess is, you should.
If a customer is paying extra for the 53A, compared to 17T, why would Ford not offer them all tech. But you never know.
Ford F-150 Tow Package Breakdown For 2021 F-150 Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 8.02.07 PM

Wrf61

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I just got my 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost and it seems Ford does use their tow package terms loosely, especially when it comes to window stickers. My window sticker for Standard Equipment shows :
Class IV Trailer Hitch w/Smart Trailer Tow Connector

Under Options shows:
Equipment Group 501A
3.73 axle
7350# GVWR Package
Trailer Tow Package
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

Not listed but I do have Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Reverse Guidance Sensor

It seems mine is a hodgepodge of a build.....

Cooter'sFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several XJs, a TJ, T-Bird, and an Expedition
After reviewing more trucks, and some images of trucks with Max Tow, Trailer Tow, Just Class IV and some with Tow Tech. Tow Tech with Class IV as well as Trailer Tow (53A) have the same -BH Suffix 3800# Springs I have (ML34-5560-BH)!!!! So, 10,400 it is!!!

Last edited:

tomharris

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat
This is much more confusing than it should be. I am shopping for a Lariat Hybrid. I found one that has the Tow Technology Package -- no other towing package. The dealer assures me that this means I can tow 11,000 pounds. Go...

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport 2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Public Service/Government
I am fairly confident there are more differences between the regular tow package and the Max tow package than what Ford is listing on their charts. For example there is an article from December explaining the differences in the rear axel. Also take a look at the hitches and compare a max tow truck and a regular tow package truck when on the lot, they are different. The max tow hitch looks more robustly built. I can't prove it but there is talk that they have different rear springs as well.
http://tfltruck.com/2020/12/news-th...-floating-axle-it-may-be-delaying-your-truck/
Sponsored