First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
On my 2014 truck, which was a HDPP, SCAB, 8' box, 4x4, in Sterling Gray, I had a Leer topper. It matched perfectly.

Ford F-150 Topper availability? 20150406_155659
Sponsored

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Toppers have REALLY went up in price guys.

In fact, I bought one for a previous truck just 2.5 years ago and it was only like $2.8K OTD.

I had a '24 F150 on order to replace this '21 but for personal reasons decided to cancel that order and just stick with my '21 for several more years. So that meant it was time to buy the topper for the truck I had. The '24 I ordered was a 6.5' bed which I prefer, but I can just squeak by on the 5'7" and it fits in my garage when needed. So, I'll have one of the few 5'7" toppers.

Well, a new ARE Z2, sliding windows with pet screens & drop down window is going to cost about $4.4K OTD!

I searched for the entire previous year for a used one, even willing to travel a bit and/ or paint it. Well last week I actually found one in my color for my model of truck and bed length and not only that but exactly on my planned travels for next week, and I realized it not being the exact model I wanted, it just wasn't good enough for a truck I've became a bit attached too. The framed side windows remind me of my grandpa's toppers, and it just looks old to my eyes and that's the model the used one was.

So I ordered the ARE Z2. It provides a sleek SUV styling I wanted, reinforced hinges (occasionally I drive with the glass in the up position) & has very good reviews. The CX Revo looks great but has pretty poor reviews based around the poor fitting rear glass so I passed on this model. The last topper I bought, I just dove in and ordered one without much shopping, this time I was much more cautious comparing all of the models features & reviews. Price was probably the only thing I didn't consider.

For me, it's 90% about secure Mountain Bike storage for my local solo trips as bike theft of high end bikes is a problem. Toppers are also great for the dogs, and yah I like the look.

Lead times are only 6 weeks (Covid money, time, and social distancing are over!) and there is a fair chance I'll have it for a X-mas bike trip where I'll really need the secure storage. I'll post pics here when I get it.

Last edited:

GIjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 f250
Ordered a leer commercial cap, I was told 12-14 weeks. Hopefully it’s not that long but we’ll see. Tool boxes and ladder rack $5400. My last one was like 2500

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
When I bought my truck in April of 2022 it only took me two weeks to get the Snugtop cap for it from their local dealer. They were only making the models that were flat and at the same height as the cab. The ones that raise up in the back were not available to order.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Toppers have REALLY went up in price guys.

In fact, I bought one for a previous truck just 2.5 years ago and it was only like $2.8K OTD.

I had a '24 F150 on order to replace this '21 but for personal reasons decided to cancel that order and just stick with my '21 for several more years. So that meant it was time to buy the topper for the truck I had. The '24 I ordered was a 6.5' bed which I prefer, but I can just squeak by on the 5'7" and it fits in my garage when needed. So, I'll have one of the few 5'7" toppers.

Well, a new ARE Z2, sliding windows with pet screens & drop down window is going to cost about $4.4K OTD!

I searched for the entire previous year for a used one, even willing to travel a bit and/ or paint it. Well last week I actually found one in my color for my model of truck and bed length and not only that but exactly on my planned travels for next week, and I realized it not being the exact model I wanted, it just wasn't good enough for a truck I've became a bit attached too. The framed side windows remind me of my grandpa's toppers, and it just looks old to my eyes and that's the model the used one was.

So I ordered the ARE Z2. It provides a sleek SUV styling I wanted, reinforced hinges (occasionally I drive with the glass in the up position) & has very good reviews. The CX Revo looks great but has pretty poor reviews based around the poor fitting rear glass so I passed on this model. The last topper I bought, I just dove in and ordered one without much shopping, this time I was much more cautious comparing all of the models features & reviews. Price was probably the only thing I didn't consider.

For me, it's 90% about secure Mountain Bike storage for my local solo trips as bike theft of high end bikes is a problem. Toppers are also great for the dogs, and yah I like the look.

Lead times are only 6 weeks (Covid money, time, and social distancing are over!) and there is a fair chance I'll have it for a X-mas bike trip where I'll really need the secure storage. I'll post pics here when I get it.

I'm told that my new Topper is due to ship on or around December 1st, which I'm well and truly happy about.

However, no doubt that consumerism is slowing down. That will be about 1 month from ordered to received.

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Not for nothing, but I did find out that a 12th gen (2009-2014) cap fits a 14th gen. I bought one that's kinda close in color and it fits well enough for what I want it for.

Ford F-150 Topper availability? 1000008531

Last edited:

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F-150 Lariat | '22 Ford F-350 S/D Tremor
Occupation
Firefighter Superintendent
Just placed an order for a LEER 100XR color matched and with options (carpeted headliner, front class slider + removable and Thule tracks on top). Was under $3500 on promotion (which ends today) at a shop where I am in Canada and given a 3-4 weeks wait. Not too bad!

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
It's way too soon to declare definitively as I've only done 70 miles or so but a few things: 1) The ARE Z2 looks amazing and is put together really well and much nicer than the last 2 toppers I purchased, the last only 2 years ago. But the ARE is a lot more expensive too! 2) My last topper was a high roof and it knocked my Canyon diesel from 28mpg to 26mpg and I could feel the wind drag and the drag at highway speeds. No such issue with the new ARE topper, quite the opposite really. Even though it's early yet, seems to be pretty clear that my mpg has improved 1 mpg based on results so far. The truck also seems to coast better.
3) The truck was already smooth and quiet before but with the additional weight over the rear axle and the better aero jumped these characteristics jumped up a notch.
I use toppers to safely leave my expensive mountain bikes protected when I'm out riding/ traveling/ eating after a ride.
Ford F-150 Topper availability? 20231207_170735

Pretty pleased so far.

Ford F-150 Topper availability? 20231207_170336

I have a small lift on the shelf that I'll get installed soon to complete the look I'm after. Really just wanting to kill these expensive tires a bit more first.

2nd Edit: My truck MAYBE has improved mpg with the addition of THIS camper shell it's very sleek and I didn't have the same results with other campers I've owned). I have pretty standard routes and (for example) on my work commute it's always the same (no real variance in traffic or anything) and the truck clearly is averaging slightly better economy. My mpg reset always settled right back around 20.0 mpg after a few miles with the Performance tune I was running a bit back. Recently I swapped to the Tow tune and even with it holding a lower gear (which I really prefer) it's averaged 20.3 mpg over the previous 2K miles and my 'this trip' mpg is always within a tenth of that number unless the trip is extremely short.

Well since I've gotten the camper (400+ miles so far) I'm averaging 20.5 mpg, improvement of .2 mpg.

Last edited: