Sponsored

Topper availability?

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Here's my gripe (two actually):
1. You can lose a large portion of your life on the manufacturers' websites trying to figure out the differences between the various models. In many cases, the text is so similar that it's challenging to ferret out the differences.
2. I don't want to lose the bed camera and cargo lights that are part of the CHMSL in many current generation trucks. I cannot figure out why none of the major manufacturers haven't figured a way to incorporate those OEM features into their products.

I've pretty much given up on a topper for our new 2022 XLT (had a Leer on our '94 GMC since it was new). I think I'm gonna go with a retractable tonneau cover. Not ideal, but an acceptab.e tradeoff.

<gripe_mode=off>
I think RSI Smartcap (stainless steel) has a window cut out for the bed camera. Check it out if you have not already. Good luck.
Sponsored

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
I think RSI Smartcap (stainless steel) has a window cut out for the bed camera. Check it out if you have not already. Good luck.
Yes, I did check those out, thanks! couple of issues: they are interesting for sure and look pretty cool but not something I personally want to put on my truck. Expen$$I've. Many reports of problems with leaks which IMHO is unacceptable in a topper.
Thanks again for the suggestion.

Farmerj

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2020 (2023)
Ordered 2/9/22
Received 5/17/22
Installed 5/26/22

cost $2950 installed

Ford F-150 Topper availability? 840D3B58-A791-4600-803B-27168799208B
Ford F-150 Topper availability? B93DBED6-F5E2-428B-AD62-1422DD4CFDA9

The difference in the V series vs the CX is how there is a recess in the fiberglass for the side windows.

the V series is actually flush with the side, the CX is recessed so the window is flush.

RKM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Here's my gripe (two actually):
1. You can lose a large portion of your life on the manufacturers' websites trying to figure out the differences between the various models. In many cases, the text is so similar that it's challenging to ferret out the differences.
2. I don't want to lose the bed camera and cargo lights that are part of the CHMSL in many current generation trucks. I cannot figure out why none of the major manufacturers haven't figured a way to incorporate those OEM features into their products.

I've pretty much given up on a topper for our new 2022 XLT (had a Leer on our '94 GMC since it was new). I think I'm gonna go with a retractable tonneau cover. Not ideal, but an acceptab.e tradeoff.

<gripe_mode=off>
Here's what I posted on another thread about dealing with the bed camera and cargo lights. I'm still working on it, but it seems a fairly simple solution.

I just had a midrise LEER cap installed on my 22 Powerboost Platinum. I specifically bought this as accommodation for my three dogs, so that we can go places and comfortably leave them in the truck if needed. I bought a clear inflatable boot to seal around the sliding windows on the truck and cap, so both can be left open in all weather, and the animals have access to heat and a/c from the cab. The cap does have a wired high center brake light integrated into the fiberglass at the rear. I am in the process of figuring out how to move the center brake/cargo light/camera from the cab into the cap, so as to be able to keep an eye on the dogs, and retain use of the cargo light. I removed the four screws holding the light/camera fixture, and pulled it loose. There are two plugs into it, one for lights and one for camera, and there is enough slack for it to reach into the cap through the window. I think I'm going to make a mounting plate for the fixture, probably just a piece of 1x3 lumber with holes for the plugs to come through, mount the fixture to it, and velcro it above the sliding window in the cap. I'm also considering drilling a hole in the cap above the sliding window, just large enough for the plugs to go through. Just haven't come up with a good way of weatherproofing that. Oh, and temporarily, I slapped a wide piece of waterproof Gorilla Tape over the holes in the cab where the fixture was mounted. Any ideas on better weatherproofing of that, and the hole for the plugs/wires into the cap would be appreciated. I am also considering installing a remote controlled, roof mounted RV vent fan on the cap, which looks pretty easy to do.

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Here's what I posted on another thread about dealing with the bed camera and cargo lights. I'm still working on it, but it seems a fairly simple solution.

I just had a midrise LEER cap installed on my 22 Powerboost Platinum. I specifically bought this as accommodation for my three dogs, so that we can go places and comfortably leave them in the truck if needed. I bought a clear inflatable boot to seal around the sliding windows on the truck and cap, so both can be left open in all weather, and the animals have access to heat and a/c from the cab. The cap does have a wired high center brake light integrated into the fiberglass at the rear. I am in the process of figuring out how to move the center brake/cargo light/camera from the cab into the cap, so as to be able to keep an eye on the dogs, and retain use of the cargo light. I removed the four screws holding the light/camera fixture, and pulled it loose. There are two plugs into it, one for lights and one for camera, and there is enough slack for it to reach into the cap through the window. I think I'm going to make a mounting plate for the fixture, probably just a piece of 1x3 lumber with holes for the plugs to come through, mount the fixture to it, and velcro it above the sliding window in the cap. I'm also considering drilling a hole in the cap above the sliding window, just large enough for the plugs to go through. Just haven't come up with a good way of weatherproofing that. Oh, and temporarily, I slapped a wide piece of waterproof Gorilla Tape over the holes in the cab where the fixture was mounted. Any ideas on better weatherproofing of that, and the hole for the plugs/wires into the cap would be appreciated. I am also considering installing a remote controlled, roof mounted RV vent fan on the cap, which looks pretty easy to do.
I was hoping to be able to just design and 3d print a bracket for in the cap. Have been also looking on ebay to see about putting another "dummy" light in its original place when moving the existing light with camera inside. Haven't had enough time to get into this little project yet. Was really hoping someone would beat me to it lol

Sponsored

Wingshooter8800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB Lariat on order, 2016 Toy LC, 2019 Audi Q7

RKM, can you tell me how your 3rd brake light is connected? Just bought a Snugtop and the installer says the "spare brake wire" under the hood was not hot. Thought it could be a Powerboost issue...

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I wanted to be able to put two kayaks and a Hullavator on the fiberglass cap and so I bought the Thule Artificial Rain Gutters and bolted them to the sides of the shell. The load is on the sides of the cap and so no flexing as with the load on the top of the cap.

I could then attach standard Thule cross bars to the artificial rain gutters exactly where I wanted them. I was able to compensate for the shorter 6.5' bed of the truck with the 15 ft kayaks.

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Maybe this question deserves a separate thread, but does anyone have a recommendation for topper model/type that would only be used a few times a year?

I'm envisioning predominantly using a tonneau cover, but believe longer family trips will require a topper (to carry nearly endless stuff, lol). I don't think I'm going to want a topper on during daily driving/most weekend trips.

I've already looked at some videos on how folks remove/store their toppers, so not concerned on making that work.

Jeb536

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT 302A & Mustangs
ARE CX Revo
Ordered:7/8/2022
Received: 10/5/2022
Installed: 10/8/2022
$2645 installed

A640793E-08C6-4167-9D90-24286F80B603.jpeg
I got a few quotes in southern VA and this was the lowest…

Your Truck Details:
2022 • Ford • F150 • SuperCrew • 67.0 in.

A.R.E. Model: CX Revo
Base Price: $3,020.00 painted to match & installed

A.R.E. Model
: Z2 series
Base Price: $3,370.00 painted to match & installed

Your Cap Build:

• Interior Carpet: Dark Gray Headliner
• Front Window: Frameless Sliding Window - Standard Option: Not available on Z series
• Light Option: 12V LED Dome Light: Option on Z series
• Prop Switch: ActiveTilt For 12V LED Dome Light
• Side Window: Frameless All Glass Window
• Rear Door: Frameless Tailgate Formed Door
Coupon Selection: $125 Off CX Revo or CX Evolve Purchase

Your Comments: Please provide a quote for the Z series as well please.

Order time is appx 15 - 20 weeks right now

Date Received:
November 7, 2022 - 9:01:19 AM EDT

Sponsored

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
My last three F150's have had Leer or Century (identical, made in the same factory) toppers. My '98 had cab height, my 2005 had the hi-rise but my 2015 had cab height. I didn't do the hi-rise because I had too many issues with clearance in parking garages. I'm ordering a 2023 F150 SCREW 6.5' bed and like the looks of the ARE, but what concerns me is that all the pictures I see of them, the topper seems slightly lower than actual cab height, whereas the Leer/Century seems more flush with the rear of the cab.

Also i'm ordering my truck with Atlas Blue, has anyone gotten this and had issues with the color matching?

Finally, what's the deal with Ranch toppers? Look ok, but never heard of them, they hold up? Color match? I'm really worried about this this time around because i'm getting Atlas blue. My last two trucks have been white, and it's been a non-issue...

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
My last three F150's have had Leer or Century (identical, made in the same factory) toppers. My '98 had cab height, my 2005 had the hi-rise but my 2015 had cab height. I didn't do the hi-rise because I had too many issues with clearance in parking garages. I'm ordering a 2023 F150 SCREW 6.5' bed and like the looks of the ARE, but what concerns me is that all the pictures I see of them, the topper seems slightly lower than actual cab height, whereas the Leer/Century seems more flush with the rear of the cab.

Also i'm ordering my truck with Atlas Blue, has anyone gotten this and had issues with the color matching?

Finally, what's the deal with Ranch toppers? Look ok, but never heard of them, they hold up? Color match? I'm really worried about this this time around because i'm getting Atlas blue. My last two trucks have been white, and it's been a non-issue...
I have seen one guy get an ARE topper color matched to Atlas Blue and the pictures looked great. I asked him what he thought and he said it was a nice match. Again, this was ARE.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger for an ARE in Atlas Blue too.

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

I have the Ranch Sierra cap and really like it. Colour matched for black, now sure about your specific color. You could try giving them a call and asking. I've now had the cap for almost 2yrs, only issue is that one of locking handles have froze up, will need to order new one on Amazon. Dad has had his for about 5yrs and no issues. They are carpeted similar to bedrug, led, fold down front window for easy cleaning. I also had the yakima roof racks installed at the dealer as well. I live between 2 truck accessory shops (Action & Easton), for the pricing and quality of the Ranch, it was a no brainer for me.
Sponsored