First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Database Admin
If you are looking for more function than color match, check out the Smartcap. It’s steel, way better spec’s than any fiberglass I’ve seen (Leer/ARE) and the white (commercial) version I think is still available for 5.5 beds.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
NICE! I am considering a topper and that ARE looked the best to me. I also like the smartcap and may explore what I would need to do to get the "frame" of the cap color matched painted. I want to leave the doors or windows black but I want the shell to match the truck. However I have not been able to find any information about having this done or if anyone has even tried it.

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
Availability notwithstanding, what are the favorite canopies for the F150 and what does one of these do for the payload and gas mileage?

LeadfootTREMOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Powerboost
Great thread. I just placed an order for a CX revo from A.R.E. Will post pics when it’s installed

Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I ordered a Snugtop for my 2022 6.5 bed truck 6 weeks ago and it arrived 3 weeks later.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I had an aluminum topper and the fiberglass are much better. The fiberglass insulated the rear which keeps it cooler if transporting dogs in the bed of the truck and it helsp with an ice chest in the back as well.

With Snugtop the dealer used the Ford color code which was M7 for my truck and the shell came from the factory as a perfect match. Not a good idea to paint fiberglass and hope that it does not peel off over time.

With the 2022 power tailgate the rear window of the shell needs to curve out and down for a good weaher seal and this is provided on the Snugtop Rebel that I bought.

Ford F-150 Topper availability? F-150 & Cap Side 1
Ford F-150 Topper availability? Snugtop Camper.JPG
Ford F-150 Topper availability? Tailgate 1

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
It probably is not just a paint, it is probably gel coat. Much better.

tbone-CO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Scab XLT Leadfoot
Occupation
button pusher
If you are looking for more function than color match, check out the Smartcap. It’s steel, way better spec’s than any fiberglass I’ve seen (Leer/ARE) and the white (commercial) version I think is still available for 5.5 beds.
I considered it. For twice the price and no availability every time I've checked I went with fiberglass. Less weight, heat (I have sliding glass on three sides and not black), and price!

Ford F-150 Topper availability? 1659722630076

They are neat though! A guy at work has one on his Tacoma and I've looked it over.

Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
The only metal caps I have found are all designed for commercial use and so can support a greater load on the roof and are also much more expensive and a poorer fit in terms of being water tight when driving in the rain.

I paid $3550 including 9% sales tax for a Snugtop for my 6.5' bed this past June. Not cheap but I get a lot more use out of the bed of the truck with the cap. A stainless steel metal cap cost from $4,600 to $6,200 before sale tax and shipping and installation so not a bargain by any means.

I can put twice as much in the truck bed and I can transport plants without them getting trashed and put our bikes in the back and not worry about them being stolen and no need for tarps. With my sheepdogs the truck became their portable dog house and they loved it (with a thick rubber bed mat on the floor.

For camping a platform with a foam pad allows fro sleeping in the bed and I put camp gear in plastic crates under the platform. I would not want to sleep in the bed if the truck had a metal cap.

MontanaFred

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
Occupation
AD Air Force
I went with Leer again (third time). I ordered mine 5 May when I got a production date. Dealer said it would take a couple months to get in. Got it all decked out with a Leer locker and roof rack again. Went mid rise this time rather than cab high. I wanted the extra space to sleep back there and space for camping/hunting gear. Dealer said A.R.E. and Snugtop would take at least 4 months to get in. It showed up on 5 July, but I just got the truck this past Monday and had them install it today. I dig it.

Ford F-150 Topper availability? 20220805_160801

Ford F-150 Topper availability? 20220805_160738

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Availability notwithstanding, what are the favorite canopies for the F150 and what does one of these do for the payload and gas mileage?
Payload effect is to subtract whatever the top weighs from your door sticker.

mistermoon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 PB
Got my ARE yesterday, ordered on April 30. They messed up and didn't put in the tilt/slide front window as ordered. They are sending a replacement window to arrive week after next for my dealer to install.

Ford F-150 Topper availability? IMG_1656.JPG

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Here's my gripe (two actually):
1. You can lose a large portion of your life on the manufacturers' websites trying to figure out the differences between the various models. In many cases, the text is so similar that it's challenging to ferret out the differences.
2. I don't want to lose the bed camera and cargo lights that are part of the CHMSL in many current generation trucks. I cannot figure out why none of the major manufacturers haven't figured a way to incorporate those OEM features into their products.

I've pretty much given up on a topper for our new 2022 XLT (had a Leer on our '94 GMC since it was new). I think I'm gonna go with a retractable tonneau cover. Not ideal, but an acceptab.e tradeoff.

<gripe_mode=off>
Sponsored