Union Carpenter

Zeromarine

First Name
Cale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 302a
Well just got a call from my dealer and the APIM module is in. They are trying to schedule the work for next week. Not holding my breath but maybe next week I will have the updates on my truck. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Ya ford won’t authorize apim replacements anymore.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
I called service to schedule an appointment for next Wednesday since apparently i have a recall on driveshaft cover or something like that and I asked the guy if they can push manual sync update. He was surprised i didn't get any OTAs also said that maybe my truck doesn't qualify for any OTAs ?? anyway He tried looking into what software version is there now but couldn't log in because that system is down. I already have a feeling this'll be fun experience
Wow, this is pretty much verbatim what I was told. I dropped it off for visit #3 on January 3rd, and the most recent update they provided is that the part (for the driveshaft cover) is not expected until the 17th. Fun.

What I find concerning is that every time I'm "updated" (which is essentially a daily text trekking me the part is still not in), there's no mention of the sync/apim issue for which I brought it in. When I call, the service manager sounds as if he has no clue that's also on the to-do list, but promises to "make a note of it". It's almost laughable at this point. Almost.

The only bright spots in this mess are that I was lucky enough to get my hands on a loaner vehicle, and the recent confirmation that the work "definitely falls under Ford's warranty coverage ". In other news: water is wet.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
It is, if you have access to Ford Diagnostic an Repair software. The tool will create an update USB flash drive that you can use to update your SYNC. After lots of trouble, finally I managed to update it today!

sync.jpg

BTW - if you take your truck to the dealer, they will do exactly the same procedure.
Any way for the public to get access to the software to do this yourself?

Sponsored

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
Any way for the public to get access to the software to do this yourself?
Only with expensive licensed ford software available to Dealers only. Ford chooses not to allow these systems to be self serviceable easily. We should be able to load or reload new software images of the OS just as you can do with your android or iPhone. They are a bit more protective.

Ford VCM 3 (fordvcm3ids.com)

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Not necessarily true. You can download official Fords diagnostic software here. You can buy a 2-day license for FDRS (Ford Diagnostic and Repair Software) here for $50.

Also, there is no need to spend $$$ for expensive Ford VCI device, this little device will do all the work for you if set up correctly

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In case anyone is interested in my continuing saga with addressing the OTA issue:

My truck remains at the dealer (day 18) as of this morning. Prior to dropping it off, I had several lengthy conversations with the service manager attempting to confirm that my issue was understood and that I would not be charged any "diagnostic fees" (they had originally implied this would be a possibility). For good measure, I printed the following message and handed it to the service desk at drop-off (I also left a copy IN the vehicle):

Issues:
  1. Dash cluster settings (My View / Gauge settings) will not retain for more than 48hrs max.
- Settings revert to original “setup” mode randomly, often at every startup.

2. OTA updates are not being delivered or installed.

- Update availability does not appear in Sync system or Fordpass app despite automatic updates being enabled and auto-install schedule being set.

Expected Resolutions:
  1. Prevent dash cluster settings from reverting to default setup mode.
  2. Address OTA updates not being received by vehicle. Ford has confirmed that updates are reporting as “failed” (CAS-34552618-R7F5Y6), and that at least one of the recent “power-up” update packages specifically addresses the dash cluster reset issue.
  3. Manually install any available Sync update packages, including any of the following that are applicable to my vehicle:
    1. 1.6
    2. 1.7.1
    3. 2.1.0
    4. 2.1.1
  4. *If necessary, update core Sync version from current 20262 r229 to most recent release.
Please Note: When I initially contacted the service department inquiring about manual system updates, it was suggested that there was a potential that I would incur billable “diagnostic fees” at a rate of $198/hr. I have specifically addressed this with my service advisor(s), who have assured me that the diagnosis & repair of these issues are within the scope of warranty coverage. If there is any indication that this is not the case, or if there are any questions regarding the issues, please contact me at the number above.
Like @ogor6037, I was informed of a driveshaft recall after dropping the truck off, and that there may be delays in receiving the part(s) necessary to complete the service. I said that I understood the delay and was again reassured that it would not affect the original diagnostic service I requested.

Per follow-up call on Jan 10, I was told the driveshaft had not arrived, but that the Sync4 issues were "taken care of".

On Jan 17, I was told my parts had shipped. I again asked to confirm the Sync4 repair and was told "yes that is done".

Yesterday (Jan 20), I received notice early in the day that the repair was completed. I made the pickup arrangements, however, two additional notices confirmed my suspicions that my Sync4 issues were not addressed:

"status update, vehicle is not done your modem concern is an issue, the recall is done but i still cannot connect to module, i have a request into ford"
"status update, ford wants us to try another reprogram and possibly replace the module again, it loos like this will run into tomorrow, sorry for the delay"
Moments ago, I received a call from the dealer and was told that my APIM has been replaced, but that their attempts to apply updates via USB are still failing. The rep then told me that this is a known issue on Ford's end (somewhat encouraging, as I've not heard of any official acknowledgment of it prior) and that they are releasing a software-based fix. He said the estimated release of this "fix" is February 22nd, and that I will need to bring the truck back again once they have it for installation. He also suggested that, while unlikely, the need to replace the APIM once more is a possibility; they won't know for sure until the promised software update is released and applied.

So it appears another month of waiting and dealer service #4 will be required before I have any hope of seeing the Sync issues resolved... I'm not really sure how helpful any of this is, but since it seems there are a number of other pre-june2021-build owners that are experiencing the same issues I thought it may be of interest.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
In case anyone is interested in my continuing saga with addressing the OTA issue:

My truck remains at the dealer (day 18) as of this morning. Prior to dropping it off, I had several lengthy conversations with the service manager attempting to confirm that my issue was understood and that I would not be charged any "diagnostic fees" (they had originally implied this would be a possibility). For good measure, I printed the following message and handed it to the service desk at drop-off (I also left a copy IN the vehicle):

Like @ogor6037, I was informed of a driveshaft recall after dropping the truck off, and that there may be delays in receiving the part(s) necessary to complete the service. I said that I understood the delay and was again reassured that it would not affect the original diagnostic service I requested.

Per follow-up call on Jan 10, I was told the driveshaft had not arrived, but that the Sync4 issues were "taken care of".

On Jan 17, I was told my parts had shipped. I again asked to confirm the Sync4 repair and was told "yes that is done".

Yesterday (Jan 20), I received notice early in the day that the repair was completed. I made the pickup arrangements, however, two additional notices confirmed my suspicions that my Sync4 issues were not addressed:

Moments ago, I received a call from the dealer and was told that my APIM has been replaced, but that their attempts to apply updates via USB are still failing. The rep then told me that this is a known issue on Ford's end (somewhat encouraging, as I've not heard of any official acknowledgment of it prior) and that they are releasing a software-based fix. He said the estimated release of this "fix" is February 22nd, and that I will need to bring the truck back again once they have it for installation. He also suggested that, while unlikely, the need to replace the APIM once more is a possibility; they won't know for sure until the promised software update is released and applied.

So it appears another month of waiting and dealer service #4 will be required before I have any hope of seeing the Sync issues resolved... I'm not really sure how helpful any of this is, but since it seems there are a number of other pre-june2021-build owners that are experiencing the same issues I thought it may be of interest.
I found Ford's SSM 50383 on other forums. Do you think this relates to the Feb. 22nd "fix" Your dealer is speaking about? If so, It looks like the problem may be resolved via. OTA and if not successful, then make a dealer appointment in March. I have the same problem with my truck build date 3/25/21. I'm really hoping there "fix" works. I dread the idea of having to go to the dealer for this repair.

Attachments

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I found Ford's SSM 50383 on other forums. Do you think this relates to the Feb. 22nd "fix" Your dealer is speaking about? If so, It looks like the problem may be resolved via. OTA and if not successful, then make a dealer appointment in March. I have the same problem with my truck build date 3/25/21. I'm really hoping their "fix" works. I dread the idea of having to go to the dealer for this repair.
Yeah, I've also seen that pop up recently and seems to be in-line with what the dealer told me. I'm not really fluent in "Fordspeak", but the way it's written certainly seems to be leaving the door open for the possibility of it being a dealer-installed update. My guess is that they'll try hard to push it OTA, but others that are far more knowledgeable than I am have suggested that the size of the update will make that very difficult, if not impossible.

Looking at my service invoice I do see SSM50383 referenced, as well as a "will need to return" comment...

Attachments

Lodans

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost King Ranch
Occupation
Building Automation
I finally had my APIM module replaced at the dealer yesterday. I picked it up after them having it for about 8 hours and now I am able to set my software update preferences again. I thought this was good news until I checked this morning on the app that shows the status of updates and saw that it failed again to download 1.71. So it seems they replaced the APIM and did not do any power up updates. I have purchased all items to flash my modules and will be taking matters in my own hands this weekend.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I finally had my APIM module replaced at the dealer yesterday. I picked it up after them having it for about 8 hours and now I am able to set my software update preferences again. I thought this was good news until I checked this morning on the app that shows the status of updates and saw that it failed again to download 1.71. So it seems they replaced the APIM and did not do any power up updates. I have purchased all items to flash my modules and will be taking matters in my own hands this weekend.
Good luck and please let us know how it goes! I'm still holding out for this supposed fix that they're saying will come in Feb. If that either doesn't happen or doesn't work I may be following in your footsteps.

galaxiedude63

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Leadfoot Lariat
My truck has been to the dealer 3 times for the OTA update failings. I spoke to Ford tech and they told me that what the server configuration of the truck didn't match what was actually installed in the truck(modules).
They wanted the dealer to upload an updated truck configuration so Ford could update their side of it, but they had no clue as how to do that.
Then the dealer told me they were able to update it but when I picked it up still had the shipped versions. Still on power up 1.4 but the Ford pass app says I'm at 1.7.1.
I'm sending pic of all the screens to the dealer so they can supposedly get with Ford tech dept as to find out what the issue may be with updating.
I have a bunch of quirky things happening with connections with my phone. The recirculation setting keeps turning itself off and a few others.
Sponsored