Took truck in because it has never received an OTA update. Service was clueless

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
My truck has been to the dealer 3 times for the OTA update failings. I spoke to Ford tech and they told me that what the server configuration of the truck didn't match what was actually installed in the truck(modules).
They wanted the dealer to upload an updated truck configuration so Ford could update their side of it, but they had no clue as how to do that.
Then the dealer told me they were able to update it but when I picked it up still had the shipped versions. Still on power up 1.4 but the Ford pass app says I'm at 1.7.1.
I'm sending pic of all the screens to the dealer so they can supposedly get with Ford tech dept as to find out what the issue may be with updating.
I have a bunch of quirky things happening with connections with my phone. The recirculation setting keeps turning itself off and a few others.
I'm three visits in as well. After they replaced my TCU on the last visit, I now have no connectivity whatsoever, so until this promised "fix" gets released I don't even have FordPass or its remote start / securalert / monitoring functions.

I've made serious inquiries into buyback / lemon law claims, but neither appear to be an option. I've begun looking into just replacing the damn truck, but the only inventory I can get close to are either 22's or much higher trims than my XLT Sport... after eating the depreciation on my "never worked from the day I bought it" truck with 14k on it, I don't really see it being a viable option.

At the risk of sounding over-dramatic, this seriously may be the last Ford vehicle I ever own.
Sponsored

OP
OP

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
I'm three visits in as well. After they replaced my TCU on the last visit, I now have no connectivity whatsoever, so until this promised "fix" gets released I don't even have FordPass or its remote start / securalert / monitoring functions.

I've made serious inquiries into buyback / lemon law claims, but neither appear to be an option. I've begun looking into just replacing the damn truck, but the only inventory I can get close to are either 22's or much higher trims than my XLT Sport... after eating the depreciation on my "never worked from the day I bought it" truck with 14k on it, I don't really see it being a viable option.

At the risk of sounding over-dramatic, this seriously may be the last Ford vehicle I ever own.
Why wouldn’t Lemon Law be an option? At only 14k miles I would think the mileage would be the only potentially disqualifying thing about your truck. In my state it’s 2 years from date of sale or up to 24,000 miles. Anything that affects the function or value of the vehicle applies. And it isn’t something to ask the dealer, either. Actual legal counsel could give you better information.

Zeromarine

First Name
Cale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 302a
Anyone who’s stuck on 1.7 have the odd issue with the welcome lighting not turning on and no interior lights. Also the bell noise doesn’t come from the speakers and sounds like it’s some weird binging sound under the dash. Also the radio preset will flash sometimes when this happens. I’d say it happens maybe once a week. I think it’s all related I’m sure. Can’t wait for this fix coming this month.

I have also noticed this only when this happens. For example when the walk up lighting doesn’t work and the interior lights don’t light up.

when the above is happening the passenger side door handle won’t unlock or lock the door. Very strange. From the outside the smart key handle etc.

After say I go to the store and run one key cycle it’s fine when I walk up to it next time.

Like I said this all started since 1.7 has become stuck.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

So sad to hear. They replace these modules for no reason what so ever. Replacing the TCU will cause more issues than it solves.

just a question.. have you done master reset.
Also.. if you don’t mind can you send me your vin so I can see what they did or didn’t do.
I would suggest if you have not.. completely remove the truck from FordPass master reset and or FordPass reset and then add it back.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Same thing here! Intermittently fordpass responds, "vehicle is in deep sleep mode", so no remote start at 10 degrees! Sometimes no approach lighting with interior lights, other times approach lights come and no interior lighting, or Sometimes neither. Also now I'm getting Intermittently "reverse brake assist not available " . At this point I would prefer to have it as it was prior to the attempted updates. At least everything worked. This seems to be going downhill fast, and I fear the update will come with its own new set of problems.

Ford F-150 Took truck in because it has never received an OTA update. Service was clueless 20220204_170157

Ford F-150 Took truck in because it has never received an OTA update. Service was clueless Screenshot_20220206-101318_FordPass

Sponsored

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why wouldn’t Lemon Law be an option? At only 14k miles I would think the mileage would be the only potentially disqualifying thing about your truck. In my state it’s 2 years from date of sale or up to 24,000 miles. Anything that affects the function or value of the vehicle applies. And it isn’t something to ask the dealer, either. Actual legal counsel could give you better information.
You are correct, both the milage and age are still well within the threshold for making a claim. That being said, I've had some attorney friends advise me that PA's stipulation that, once a claim has been officially submitted, the dealer is required to have one or more opportunities to correct any technical issues referenced in the claim. Essentially, this means that if Ford can produce a fix this month (or provide some guaranty that a fix is actively pending release), they and the dealer would be "off the hook" with no culpability for them having taken over a full year to correct the problem.

Additionally, from what I understand, the end-game of such a claim would be to recoup my original purchase price in its entirety... once any legal consultation fees are deducted and the fact that there's virtually no inventory available for me to find an identical (or damn close) replacement vehicle, it appears like the ultimate result would be me simply having no truck. Either that, or me having to shell out another significant expense to get into something even remotely similar.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So sad to hear. They replace these modules for no reason what so ever. Replacing the TCU will cause more issues than it solves.

Also.. if you don’t mind can you send me your vin so I can see what they did or didn’t do.
I would suggest if you have not.. completely remove the truck from FordPass master reset and or FordPass reset and then add it back.
Thanks for the offer! I have done the master reset - twice prior to my last visit, and once more since (at the guidance of Ford online support). Other than purging any customizations/settings, there was no change in the Sync behavior observed doing these.

I had also removed and re-added the vehicle to my FordPass account at least twice, however, since I have lost modem connectivity after the TCU replacement, that no longer seems to be an option. After attempting this in the process of troubleshooting the modem issue, it seems my truck can no longer be added to the app (presumably due to its inability to communicate with servers). All attempts result in the following error message:

Sorry, there was an error and we were unable to complete your request to change authorization rights on My F-150. Please try again later.
My VIN is 1FTEW1EP8MFA44136; if you're able to gain any insight that you think would be helpful, it would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Same thing here! Intermittently fordpass responds, "vehicle is in deep sleep mode", so no remote start at 10 degrees! Sometimes no approach lighting with interior lights, other times approach lights come and no interior lighting, or Sometimes neither. Also now I'm getting Intermittently "reverse brake assist not available " . At this point I would prefer to have it as it was prior to the attempted updates. At least everything worked. This seems to be going downhill fast, and I fear the update will come with its own new set of problems.
My app also displays the same message now. I had never seen it before the last couple of weeks. Not sure if that’s an indicator of anything at all. Lol

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum Powerboost

Uh oh, this was my dealer solution as they tried to update the TCU 4 times and all failed. Originally brought it in because I've received no updates whatsoever and updates greyed out. They stated on the test that it was -150dBm. My truck for the last 60 days has been sent an update to gwm which hasn't failed just the campaign expires every time. They told me if the TCU doesn't fix it they will replace the APIM.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Dealers are just not having any success. Most have resorted to doing it themselves.

Sponsored

galaxiedude63

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Leadfoot Lariat
So the other day I got a notification that the truck updated to 2.3. I didn't believe it but when I did get to the truck it had the update icon. I checked the loaded software and it did take the update finally.
The dealer had said they re-flashed the gateway module? Not sure if that is the reason it worked this time or that Ford updated the truck configuration on their server side. Will never know.