Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
This next truck will be the first time I've used a truck as my daily driver, so I'm wondering about getting a tonneau cover, both to improve mpg and to provide cover for cargo when needed. What are everyone's thoughts?
  • Is it worth the cost/trouble?
  • Get it as part of the Ford build, or buy aftermarket?
  • Hard fold or soft fold?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
I have had Truxedo.....not sure if spelled correct ... that rolled up. It was good and sturdy. When I get my 2021, I will get a color-matched hard cover....not sure of the brand yet.

Are they worth it....to me it was. I always had people throw stuff in the back of my truck. Do your due diligence and research before you buy and there are lots of opinions, like mine, so do what is best for you.

Good luck and share a pic when you get one. Fredm2002

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
I have had the hard roll cover (cost 1500) the vinyl on the top started to come loose and it fell apart (5 years old)

Have had the soft fold tonneau now on my 2018, easy to remove for total bed use and it fits in the back.. Probably would not do again

Have had the hard fold tonneau on a Tacoma...one an done there secure but too hard to remove and stood up blocking the rear window if I need the whole bed.

Have had many of the Truxedo and Access roll up tonneaus and that is my go to, they fit nice do not stretch in the winter from snow, summer heat makes them loose in the summer but not to the point of coming off or sagging..

Just my .02 worth

igor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost
Worth it. I’ve a BakFlip MX4 for the last 5 years. Hard tri-fold. Nothing is falling apart - went from my 2015 to my 2018 - and i'll put it on the 2021. it's 99% dry, and the fact that it's lockable means another secure storage place.

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/ is a good place to go - no brand affiliation that I can see. The model I have lets you close/open the tailgate in any priority - very helpful

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I have the factory hard folding tonneau on my Tacoma now. There are things I like including the added security, almost waterproof storage (more or less waterproof when driving, but not always so when sitting still for long periods), and the ability to stand on it when I need to (garage racks, camping, and so on). The Toyota one only folds twice, however, so you lose the ability to use the entire bed for a large load. This has only been an issue once, however, so not a huge inconvenience. I don't know which hard top I will get with my F-150, but I will certainly get something.

Ford F-150 Tonneau Covers: Yay or Nay? IMG_8845

Ford F-150 Tonneau Covers: Yay or Nay? IMG_8846

mel063

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150, 79 Jeep CJ-5
Occupation
Sr. Director
I am trying the retractable this time. I have the tri-fold on my 18 Lariat and I would say it's effective but cuts out too much of the bed without removal.

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
I am trying the retractable this time. I have the tri-fold on my 18 Lariat and I would say it's effective but cuts out too much of the bed without removal.
I agree and do not like having to cover my back window (BakFlip) when folded all the way forward...

I went with a soft tri-fold this last time and while it is easy to remove for full bed use it flaps too much at highway speeds..

I will go back to truxedo on my next F-150

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll have to shop them and see what worked best for me. The Ford dealer couldn't give me a clear picture of what was what from Ford. I'll hit up the local dealers of some aftermarket tops once I order my truck and see what works best. Although I am not on the hard top a lot, I do climb up on it often enough that I might not want to give it up. Then again, the truck should sit higher, so perhaps just standing in the bed would work.

How secure is the Truxedo? It looks nice.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021 King Ranch
Occupation
Maintenance supervisor
Hard cover is the way to go, being in the cold north since 2007 ive started with my Sportrac and then all my 3 other F150 you can have them pretty water tight but the most important feature you dont need to shovel the snow out of the box,

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have been very happy with my hard cover. I had a shell on my last truck, which I also loved, but this seems to be more versatile for what I use a truck for.
Sponsored