Sponsored

Tonneau covers - Flip vs Roll vs Retrax

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Ok, looking at options for tonneau covers for my truck. I live in Seattle, so both weather protection as well as some level of security is necessary. Ontop of that, something that I don’t see mentioned very often that I’m thinking about is weight. Not looking to be a ‘ultra light weight weenie’, but I know I’m also going to be close to payload with our RV.

Anyways, I’ve had a bakflip MX4 in the past - really liked the back flip, hated how it would block my back window. The few times I took it off, it was dang heavy. I can’t seem to find specs on weight though.

I’ve also had the stock Tacoma Tonneau 3 section flip style cover. This guy only opened up 2/3 of the way and was slightly annoying (maybe because the bed is already so short). It was also pretty heavy.

I’m considering a top rolling metal cover, but saw some with shipping weight of 90+ lbs. Seems awfully heavy.

Finally I’m considering a Retrax style cover. Seems like best of all worlds, but I can’t find a weight spec. If they’re going to be 150+ lbs then I might pass?

Anybody ever consider these three factors (weight / security / weather) in a cover? Any guidance?
Sponsored

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3, 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Network Architect
I was looking for something that provided decent shelter from weather, security, and I wanted to be able to add bike racks on top of it. I ended up with the Retrax ProXR, the bike rack desire limited my options quite a bit.

The cover is about 90lbs and it does take up a little bit of room in the bed for the canister. Not a big deal for me, but something you may need to consider. Overall I am really happy with the durability and usefulness of the cover. Security is top-notch as well.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
I ended up getting the Ford Accessory roll up hard cover. It’s actually better than I thought and I think provides added security.

Ford F-150 Tonneau covers - Flip vs Roll vs Retrax B4A51210-2F58-4270-9C7B-3C73C1953BA8

Ford F-150 Tonneau covers - Flip vs Roll vs Retrax B3E0D474-E59C-4C6D-BB75-51EC5345FD5E

tylthom7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Fx4
Occupation
Retired
I ended up getting the Ford Accessory roll up hard cover. It’s actually better than I thought and I think provides added security.

B4A51210-2F58-4270-9C7B-3C73C1953BA8.jpeg

B3E0D474-E59C-4C6D-BB75-51EC5345FD5E.jpeg
Do you have the automatic tailgate and if so, will the tailgate open automatically with your cover closed? Thank you

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I really like my LoMax cover. It’s sleek so it looks good, easy to deal with, easy and light to remove so I can put bikes and other things in the bed, and doesn’t take up too much space.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
I guess I should post an update. I ended up finding a Gator Recoil on Amazon warehouse that fit my truck for a bit under $600. It seemed to check all the boxes (not a heavy brick, doesn’t block the back window, doesn’t make me carry around another key) so I bought it.

Put it on last night and I’m going to give it 3 stars so far. It was a warehouse deal, so I won’t hold a broken bracket against it (waiting for Gator to get back to me about a replacement), but I will hold the fidelyness of setting it up as a con. I’ve adjusted the side rails multiple times now and I still don’t think it’s perfect. Locking mechanism is good. It doesn’t slide as smoothly as I was hoping for, but it also doesn’t have ball bearings on each slat, so that makes sense. Definitely gets the job done. My biggest complaint is that the rails, or more so the clamps that secure the rails to the truck have more play in them than I’d like. I’m not sure if I got a model for 2020’s and the 2021’s are ~1” wider or if this is just how it is.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Do you have the automatic tailgate and if so, will the tailgate open automatically with your cover closed? Thank you
Yes, it automatically opens with no problems.

OP
OP

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Posting another update. I emailed Gator to get a replacement bracket for the one that was broken and learned something… hilarious.

After 2 days, Gator emails me back. ‘Contact Retrax.com for replacement parts’. I had a feeling these were just re-branded Retrax covers, but this confirms it. I call retrax.com and they were more than happy to send me a new part for the cover.

The model I bought, the Gator Recoil doesn’t seem to have an equivalent Retrax cover, but the next model up does. Definitely price shop the two as they’re basically the same product with a different sticker on the top.

Once I get the new part and have some more time to fiddle with the install I’ll post some pictures.

K-Rob3

First Name
K-Rob3
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 502a Fx4
Posting another update. I emailed Gator to get a replacement bracket for the one that was broken and learned something… hilarious.

After 2 days, Gator emails me back. ‘Contact Retrax.com for replacement parts’. I had a feeling these were just re-branded Retrax covers, but this confirms it. I call retrax.com and they were more than happy to send me a new part for the cover.

The model I bought, the Gator Recoil doesn’t seem to have an equivalent Retrax cover, but the next model up does. Definitely price shop the two as they’re basically the same product with a different sticker on the top.

Once I get the new part and have some more time to fiddle with the install I’ll post some pictures.
I know its been awhile since you posted, but how is the Gator Recoil holding up? Does it still retract smoothly? Would you buy it again?

Sponsored

K-Rob3

First Name
K-Rob3
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

K-Rob3

First Name
K-Rob3
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

B4A51210-2F58-4270-9C7B-3C73C1953BA8.jpeg

B3E0D474-E59C-4C6D-BB75-51EC5345FD5E.jpeg
How is the Ford hard roll up cover holding up? Would you recommend it? It sure looks good in your pics!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
How is the Ford hard roll up cover holding up? Would you recommend it? It sure looks good in your pics!
Yes, I would 100%. It rolls up just enough to be able to fill the bed up without the cover being an obstruction and the Vinyl is holding up nicely. Water has not gotten into the bed at all. Highly recommend from my end. I will be putting this same cover on my Lightning when it arrives.

K-Rob3

First Name
K-Rob3
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I would 100%. It rolls up just enough to be able to fill the bed up without the cover being an obstruction and the Vinyl is holding up nicely. Water has not gotten into the bed at all. Highly recommend from my end. I will be putting this same cover on my Lightning when it arrives.
Thats great to see! I am looking for a good cover and the roll-ups provide a lot of flexibility.

Is that fabric on top or is it more like a rough polycarbonate texture?

Last edited:

jamill

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat & 2020 GMC Acadia SLT
Occupation
Pipeline Operator
Thats great to see! I am looking for a good cover and the roll-ups provide a lot of flexibility.

Is that fabric on top or is it more like a rough polycarbonate texture?
Almost looks like polycarbonate. I just put on my Revolver x4S t’other day and it’s polycarbonate and looks the same as the picture, maybe even just a rebranded x4s. 😬. I had a TruXedo Sentry CT and that one is like a fabric, lifevest kind of material. I liked it because after a wash, it looked brand new again, we’ll see how this x4s holds up to the test of time (and elements). Lol.

Ford F-150 Tonneau covers - Flip vs Roll vs Retrax 22A0D664-E253-493D-A6D3-E2BAEFFBD633
Sponsored