Sponsored

Tire size options for OEM wheels with 2" level?

Roadking71865

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
Sales
I am planning to get KO2’s for my Platinum FX4 as well. I had them in the past on an SUV and they were great in the snow in ski country.

The biggest I can fit (after the 2” level) without any poke seem to be the 285/65/R20’s, at 34.5” Radius.

The only problem is that the stock height of the cab plus the level plus taller tires comes almost exactly to the height of my garage door arm bracket. And that doesn’t include whatever height the FX4 kit may have added!

(77.2 + 2.0 + 0.75 + [FX4 h] = 80.0+)

On second thought, it’s not a problem. I’ll just do surgery on the door arm brackets or replace both garage doors!

Problem solved! ?
My garage measures 82" to the very top and 81" to the rubber strip. My F250 FX4, 79.7" according to specs., fits with more than 3" to spare to the top and I have 285/65R20's which are bigger than the stock 275's it came with. You should be good with 2" level and 285's.
Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
My garage measures 82" to the very top and 81" to the rubber strip. My F250 FX4, 79.7" according to specs., fits with more than 3" to spare to the top and I have 285/65R20's which are bigger than the stock 275's it came with. You should be good with 2" level and 285's.
@Roadking, thank you for this! Very helpful!

One thing I noticed last time was that the door arm bracket (an L-shaped plate of steel which gives the chain mechanical advantage) hung lower than the garage door opening. Will need to double-check the dimension.

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur

Sponsored

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
That’s my biggest concern is rubbing. Also what size wheels can I use. I was planning to use a 20 x 9. I just don’t know the offset that I need to purchase or the backspacing if anybody knows? I really don’t want any poke, and of course, don’t want any rubbing or trimming needed. Ready lift was saying +18 on the offset, but no mention of back space. I guess I’m just not familiar enough with how the offset works, because if I got a bigger offset like a +20 or greater closer to stock, I don’t see where that would be a problem.

This has been such an interesting model year, never before have I ever thought twice about grabbing a lift kit wheels and tires. Usually the hardest decision as what kind of wheels to get. LOL my biggest fear now is messing with all the sensors and electronics, although it seems that there’s no problems I don’t know that these trucks of been in everybody’s hands long enough to really know how the systems are working. Even the crazy headlights with the auto adjust, will that work with the level kit? Real world problems I guess LOL

So to clarify....285 65 R20 20x9 +18offset Wheel will work with NO rubbing with a 2" Level?? Anyone done this and know how tight? Should I go a little smaller to be safe?

Last edited:

Roadking71865

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
Sales
That’s my biggest concern is rubbing. Also what size wheels can I use. I was planning to use a 20 x 9. I just don’t know the offset that I need to purchase or the backspacing if anybody knows? I really don’t want any poke, and of course, don’t want any rubbing or trimming needed. Ready lift was saying +18 on the offset, but no mention of back space. I guess I’m just not familiar enough with how the offset works, because if I got a bigger offset like a +20 or greater closer to stock, I don’t see where that would be a problem.

This has been such an interesting model year, never before have I ever thought twice about grabbing a lift kit wheels and tires. Usually the hardest decision as what kind of wheels to get. LOL my biggest fear now is messing with all the sensors and electronics, although it seems that there’s no problems I don’t know that these trucks of been in everybody’s hands long enough to really know how the systems are working. Even the crazy headlights with the auto adjust, will that work with the level kit? Real world problems I guess LOL

So to clarify....285 65 R20 20x9 +18offset Wheel will work with NO rubbing with a 2" Level?? Anyone done this and know how tight? Should I go a little smaller to be safe?
Would like to know as well. Plan on same setup with +20 offset

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Platinum
Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. So even at full lock you don’t rub the UCA going forward or in reverse?
Sorry for the delayed response. Correct, no rubbing at full lock on UCA's or plastic going forward or in reverse.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Sorry for the delayed response. Correct, no rubbing at full lock on UCA's or plastic going forward or in reverse.
Thanks for the responses...and photos. My 2021 Platty is coming in a few weeks from now. I am also going with a 2" level and 285/65-20's (possibly Nitto Terra Grappler). Should look very similar...which is completely awesome!!!

Why did you go with the Ridge Grappler over Terra Grappler? How tall is your truck now? Now that I know there will be no rub, I need to be certain it fits in the garage. Thanks in advance!

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Platinum
Thanks for the responses...and photos. My 2021 Platty is coming in a few weeks from now. I am also going with a 2" level and 285/65-20's (possibly Nitto Terra Grappler). Should look very similar...which is completely awesome!!!

Why did you go with the Ridge Grappler over Terra Grappler? How tall is your truck now? Now that I know there will be no rub, I need to be certain it fits in the garage. Thanks in advance!

Had Terras on my Tahoe a few years ago and Trails on my last truck. I liked that the Ridges were a nice in between of the two from a tread perspective but still have an aggressive look. No complaints on the Terra but the Trails were pretty loud and terrible in wet conditions. Haven't had the Ridges long enough to give a review in wet conditions but they are much quieter than the Trails and I have been very happy with them so far. Truck is now at 76.75 inches tall, and from my garage floor to the lip of my garage door is 79.5 inches so it fits fine but not a lot to room to spare.

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had Terras on my Tahoe a few years ago and Trails on my last truck. I liked that the Ridges were a nice in between of the two from a tread perspective but still have an aggressive look. No complaints on the Terra but the Trails were pretty loud and terrible in wet conditions. Haven't had the Ridges long enough to give a review in wet conditions but they are much quieter than the Trails and I have been very happy with them so far. Truck is now at 76.75 inches tall, and from my garage floor to the lip of my garage door is 79.5 inches so it fits fine but not a lot to room to spare.
Nitto doesn't make the Terra in 285, but does make the Terra G2. I haven't spent the time to see the difference and really don't care. I was going to go with a Geolander A/T, as I have had great luck with those and they are a bit less expensive. However, my dealer likes to quote Nitto and says they are great tires (and popular on this forum), so I am going to get a quote.

I rock the city streets and highways most of the time. I have a Jeep with BFG M/T's for the rougher stuff. This truck is mainly for daily use, towing the Jeep, and cruising our family's ranch out in Oklahoma. If the Jeep gets stuck, it may have to play recovery rig and their are some places I go where traction is a must. I think the Terra G2 will give me good on-road manners without sacrificing when I need the truck to get a little dirty (at least I hope they are...if the price is right).

Does your measure include the 'shark fins'? Ford claims the truck is 77.2" tall. Add a 2" level (which it is debated if that actually adds 2" at the roof with as much rake as they have) and then another .835" for the tire height increase. I was expecting to be right at 80" with the 'sharks'. I have 82-3/4" clearance on the door, so I don't see any issues.

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Platinum
Nitto doesn't make the Terra in 285, but does make the Terra G2. I haven't spent the time to see the difference and really don't care. I was going to go with a Geolander A/T, as I have had great luck with those and they are a bit less expensive. However, my dealer likes to quote Nitto and says they are great tires (and popular on this forum), so I am going to get a quote.

I rock the city streets and highways most of the time. I have a Jeep with BFG M/T's for the rougher stuff. This truck is mainly for daily use, towing the Jeep, and cruising our family's ranch out in Oklahoma. If the Jeep gets stuck, it may have to play recovery rig and their are some places I go where traction is a must. I think the Terra G2 will give me good on-road manners without sacrificing when I need the truck to get a little dirty (at least I hope they are...if the price is right).

Does your measure include the 'shark fins'? Ford claims the truck is 77.2" tall. Add a 2" level (which it is debated if that actually adds 2" at the roof with as much rake as they have) and then another .835" for the tire height increase. I was expecting to be right at 80" with the 'sharks'. I have 82-3/4" clearance on the door, so I don't see any issues.
I am at 78 inches off of the fins. I agree with what you said above, with the angle of the original rake, the level just doesn't raise the back of the cab much. I can confirm that the lip of my garage door is at 79.5 inches from the floor which is easier to measure accurately than roof of truck so you are in good shape. Based on your intended use of the truck, I would say Terras are the better option. I put my truck through a decent amount of off road use on steep river valley accesses when towing rafts or my river boat so decided on the Ridge.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am at 78 inches off of the fins. I agree with what you said above, with the angle of the original rake, the level just doesn't raise the back of the cab much. I can confirm that the lip of my garage door is at 79.5 inches from the floor which is easier to measure accurately than roof of truck so you are in good shape. Based on your intended use of the truck, I would say Terras are the better option. I put my truck through a decent amount of off road use on steep river valley accesses when towing rafts or my river boat so decided on the Ridge.
Awesome. Where did you have your work done? It’s looks like your in NW Arkansas, but I could be wrong.

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Platinum
Awesome. Where did you have your work done? It’s looks like your in NW Arkansas, but I could be wrong.
Yeah I am in NWA. I went to Starwood Customs in Lowell and am super happy with their work. All of my buddies have been taking their vehicles and side by sides to them for the last year or two and have all been extremely happy with the quality of work. Nothing but good things to say about that shop.
Sponsored