Tire rotation and TPMS reset

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
I'm getting ready to rotate the tires on my 2021 for the first time. After rotation I'll need to reset the TPMS sensors to reflect there new positions on the truck. What is the easiest way to do the reset? I really don't want to add air just to let it out again and wait for beeps from the horn. I was looking at the Motorcraft TPMS 19 reset tool on Amazon. Has any tried this with there 21 truck? Amazon says not for 2021 Ford vehicles, I'm not sure I believe that either. Is there a better tool or method anyone can suggest that works well with 2021 trucks?
Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I'm getting ready to rotate the tires on my 2021 for the first time. After rotation I'll need to reset the TPMS sensors to reflect there new positions on the truck. What is the easiest way to do the reset? I really don't want to add air just to let it out again and wait for beeps from the horn. I was looking at the Motorcraft TPMS 19 reset tool on Amazon. Has any tried this with there 21 truck? Amazon says not for 2021 Ford vehicles, I'm not sure I believe that either. Is there a better tool or method anyone can suggest that works well with 2021 trucks?
If I remember correctly when I rotated my tires, the truck did an automatic relearn. It was awhile ago and I need to do it again. Again I could be wrong.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
According to the owners manual, you only need to do a TPMS reset if the front and rear tires have different PSI requirements.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Ive never had to reset TPMS with tire rotation.

OP
OP
Big Dog Daddy

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
According to the owners manual, you only need to do a TPMS reset if the front and rear tires have different PSI requirements.
Thanks! I'll start by trying that. I know if I did that on previous other vehicles and tire went low on pressure. It would display the wrong location on the dash.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Big Dog Daddy

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So for example if I rotate the left front to the right rear, and then the right rear goes low, the display will show right rear low not left front. How does the truck know which position the tire is in?

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
So for example if I rotate the left front to the right rear, and then the right rear goes low, the display will show left rear low not right front. How does the truck know which position the tire is in?
No idea how it works. I have rotated tires on my 2019 Ranger like 7 times. Never had an issue. Psi changes for a particular tire shows changes in the correct location in menu and on Ford Pass app.

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
if your pressures front and rear are the same, you can test for properly reported wheel location by forcing a low pressure on one tyre. if necessary, you'd then do the procedure below:

From p.538 of the latest manual:

"You must reset the tire pressure monitoring system after each tire rotation on vehicles that require different recommended tire pressures in the front tires as compared to the rear tires.

"Note: To reduce the chances of interference from another vehicle, perform the system reset procedure at least three feet, one meter, away from another vehicle undergoing the system reset procedure at the same time.

"Note: Do not wait more than two minutes between resetting each tire sensor or the system can time-out and you need to repeat the entire procedure on all four wheels.

"1. Drive the vehicle above 20 mph (32 km/h) for at least two minutes, then park in a safe location where you can easily get to all four tires and have access to an air pump.

"2. Switch the ignition off.

"3. Switch the ignition on but do not start the engine.

"4. Switch the hazard flashers on then off three times.

"Note: You must accomplish this within 10 seconds. If you successfully enter the reset mode, the horn sounds once, the system indicator flashes and a message shows in the information display."

OP
OP
Big Dog Daddy

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
if your pressures front and rear are the same, you can test for properly reported wheel location by forcing a low pressure on one tyre.
Thank you, I will try this, after rotation and driving a few miles, I'll let some air out and report back my findings.
Best of luck! with your new KR when you get it. What is the delivery time to Australia once it's been produced?

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I swapped my entire set of wheels for identical take-offs that had Michelin tires instead of Generals. I bought the bootleg version little grey box with the green button and it didn't do anything when I entered the TPMS relearn mode, I also tried letting air out of the tires but even emptying half the air out multiple times, it wouldn't allow me to get past the passenger front tire and the process timed out every time, I reread the procedure and even followed it on my phone and I was unsuccessful, so I said screw it and gave up. I drove about 40-50 miles with the TPMS error on and then parked the truck for a week or two.

I almost bought an aftermarket set of TPMS sensors and a programming tool assuming that the originals were taken out at the tire shop when the wheel's previous owner had his Raptor wheels installed and either they didn't tell him or he misunderstood. The next time I drove the truck after totally forgetting the whole thing, the TPMS error was gone and now the tire pressure is properly displayed with the new set of wheels/tires.

Long story short, somehow my truck figured everything out on its own; even with a completely different set of wheels/tires. I guess it’s good but it would be nice if the procedure described in the manual had been successful.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if the spare tire is also equipped with a TPMS sensor?

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I switch from summer to winter tires and back to summer tires. Both sets are on their on rims and different TPMS - no relearn was required. I did get a error message that went away after a while and it shows the correct tire pressures.

Edit - Nov 24, 2022 - Changed over to my winter tires and it took the truck a week to realize they were changed before it errored out saying bad TPM's. Took it in to get it reprogramed and one TPM was dead. Change the TPM out and all is good now.

Last edited:

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Occupation
Cooking burgers and hotdogs is not BBQing, it's grilling! Thx, All of Texas!
Yep, I've never done any "reset" after rotating the tires (rear to front, front to rear w/crossover). Aftermarket tires, original OEM TPMS and I rotate religiously. I run higher PSI in the front than the rear (unloaded) and always, always adjust the tire pressure and the monitoring system adjusts accordingly, automatically.

If I'm not mistaken each sensor has it's own "id" or frequency or RFID, I'm not sure what tech they're using, but they are programmed to the truck. So when the tire moves, the computer doesn't care so long as it can "find" the sensor.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I swapped my entire set of wheels for identical take-offs that had Michelin tires instead of Generals. I bought the bootleg version little grey box with the green button and it didn't do anything when I entered the TPMS relearn mode, I also tried letting air out of the tires but even emptying half the air out multiple times, it wouldn't allow me to get past the passenger front tire and the process timed out every time, I reread the procedure and even followed it on my phone and I was unsuccessful, so I said screw it and gave up. I drove about 40-50 miles with the TPMS error on and then parked the truck for a week or two.

I almost bought an aftermarket set of TPMS sensors and a programming tool assuming that the originals were taken out at the tire shop when the wheel's previous owner had his Raptor wheels installed and either they didn't tell him or he misunderstood. The next time I drove the truck after totally forgetting the whole thing, the TPMS error was gone and now the tire pressure is properly displayed with the new set of wheels/tires.

Long story short, somehow my truck figured everything out on its own; even with a completely different set of wheels/tires. I guess it’s good but it would be nice if the procedure described in the manual had been successful.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if the spare tire is also equipped with a TPMS sensor?
seems like there should be:

Ford F-150 Tire rotation and TPMS reset 1669302654220

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Occupation
Cooking burgers and hotdogs is not BBQing, it's grilling! Thx, All of Texas!
Sort of similar to the content here... I found a set of OEM take-off wheels and tires. The seller said the TPMS's have been removed. Am I hearing correctly, all I need to do is buy 4 new TPMS (where, prefer OEM?) for each wheel/tire, install them, and mount the new set, then eventually the truck figures it out?
Sponsored