Sponsored

Tire ratings

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
So I have someone wanting ro give me a crazy good deal on a set of tires. Their brand new BTW. But the speed rating is s and I'm pretty sure my truck recommends t speed rating.
Is it that big of a deal from s to t on our trucks.
I saw a chart and it's only 6 mph top speed difference in the two ratings. Is there other factors into all this or what.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I wouldn't be concerned on my truck.

But I would make sure I wasn't lowering other aspects, like load rating.

OP
OP
Lricaud81

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
I found them online and it seems the differences compared to stock dynapro at
Speed rating is s instead of t
Uniform tire quality grade is 460 b b instead of 440 a a
Tire treadwear rating is 460 instead of 440
Tire load index are both 115.

The tires he has are goodyear wrangler authority a/t. I haven't heard anything about these tires good or bad but I know wranglers are supposedly decent tires (I've never owned a set) but honestly never heard of the authority a/t ...
Has anyone had these tires are they decent or don't waste my money

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
They seem to have been sold through Walmart a few years back. There are some thread reviews on other forums:

Thread 1

Thread 2

I don't know your truck usage so I can't comment. They seem to have very deep aggressive treading that might cause problems with mud or snow compacting in those treads.

OP
OP
Lricaud81

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
They seem to have been sold through Walmart a few years back. There are some thread reviews on other forums:

Thread 1

Thread 2

I don't know your truck usage so I can't comment. They seem to have very deep aggressive treading that might cause problems with mud or snow compacting in those treads.
I'll have to go read the reviews. I live in Louisiana so no snow for me. We occasionally get what we call snow but it's not what normal people call snow. Lol. I dont go mud riding or anything I do live on a horrible dirt rd that gets nasty when we get any amount of rain. I want to get some nice a/t just for traction on my rd and for the looks better than stock dynapro glorified hwy tire.
I dont really tow. I do have a 5x7 utility trailer that I've pulled my zero turn on twice in the 4 years I've owned it.
I haven't seen the tires in person just looked them up online they seem to look decent but know nothing about them

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lricaud81

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
The reviews seem kinda good imo.
Am I just crazy or is it worth trying out.

TXGREEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4 Lariat
So I have someone wanting ro give me a crazy good deal on a set of tires. Their brand new BTW. But the speed rating is s and I'm pretty sure my truck recommends t speed rating.
Is it that big of a deal from s to t on our trucks.
I saw a chart and it's only 6 mph top speed difference in the two ratings. Is there other factors into all this or what.
No disrespect but why are you going online to ask a bunch of strangers if it’s ok for you to buy cheap tires? My answer would be NO. Why would you buy stock size tires that on from the factory when everyone knows those are the worst tires being no different than Chinese tires you’d find on a trailer. Buy once cry once, go get yourself a new set of tire size you want and if you can’t afford to then save up and buy what’s better for you and the ones you love. Nothing better than having that extra security.

OP
OP
Lricaud81

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
No disrespect but why are you going online to ask a bunch of strangers if it’s ok for you to buy cheap tires? My answer would be NO. Why would you buy stock size tires that on from the factory when everyone knows those are the worst tires being no different than Chinese tires you’d find on a trailer. Buy once cry once, go get yourself a new set of tire size you want and if you can’t afford to then save up and buy what’s better for you and the ones you love. Nothing better than having that extra security.
O I was just seeing if anyone has run these tires before. I figured since they were wranglers they couldn't be terrible but had never heard of that authority a/t . I'm not exactly on the market for tires just came across a good deal

plannersteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Skier and Fisherman
I'll have to go read the reviews. I live in Louisiana so no snow for me. We occasionally get what we call snow but it's not what normal people call snow. Lol. I dont go mud riding or anything I do live on a horrible dirt rd that gets nasty when we get any amount of rain. I want to get some nice a/t just for traction on my rd and for the looks better than stock dynapro glorified hwy tire.
I dont really tow. I do have a 5x7 utility trailer that I've pulled my zero turn on twice in the 4 years I've owned it.
I haven't seen the tires in person just looked them up online they seem to look decent but know nothing about them
You don't sound like you really need an aggressive tread AT tire. I suspect the stock dynapro will probably handle your road fine in four wheel drive. I have them on my new truck too, I got over it.😀

If you spend most of your time on pavement, you should consider how much noise these tires will make. I'm not familiar with them, but I would google ratings for noise for these tires. They look noisy.

I personally would not reduce speed rating from original tires. Plenty of T rated offerings out there. I worry that if I am in an accident, not having correct rated tires might be used to assign blame.

TXGREEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4 Lariat
O I was just seeing if anyone has run these tires before. I figured since they were wranglers they couldn't be terrible but had never heard of that authority a/t . I'm not exactly on the market for tires just came across a good deal
I wouldn’t buy them unless you’re broke and in need for a stock replacement and as they’re the tires the trucks come with from the factory which are very well known for being junk. Picture the tires you really want, now compare the two cause the tires that come from the truck manufacturers have been proven to not last as long as buying new aftermarket tires from tire stores. Those tires won’t last long and should check out the DOT #’s as well, the first two#’s are the week of the last two #’s being the year manufactured. Example: (0214) means they were made second week in 2014

Sponsored

PowerBoostSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet Powerboost
I have personal experience with buying the wrong tire for the application, etc. Having freeway blow outs, punctures from objects on the road etc. I spend too much on tires, but safety, drivability and reliability are most important to me - especially when towing or hauling heavy loads (which I do often). That being said - name brand tire, tire recommended by (multiple sources - tire rack, Discount tire, dealer) for the proper application. All the details are kind of confusing at times, BUT the engineering and research are done for a reason, so I trust those sources. Michelin, Bridgestone, Toyo are great trusted brands in "my view" - they do cost more, but they are more engineered, etc. I know there are others like Goodyear, Cooper, Falcon, etc. - I have not researched them to any detail like the others. Bottom line, my family are my most precious belongings and tires are probably the most important wear part on your truck. Ok, back to football!

OP
OP
Lricaud81

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
Yeah im thinking since I'm not in the market for tires I'd rather just wait till I actually want to buy tires and need them and just get the ones if want. Good deal or not the speed rating thing kinda has me wondering and my family is to important to me to cheap out on tires.
I think when I do need new tires I'll probably go with the cooper discoverer rugged trek

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Are you planning on driving your truck faster than 112 mph?! I probably wouldn't do it even with a Y rated tire.
If the answer is no, then I don't see an issue with S vs. T.

OP
OP
Lricaud81

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
Are you planning on driving your truck faster than 112 mph?! I probably wouldn't do it even with a Y rated tire.
If the answer is no, then I don't see an issue with S vs. T.
No it shuts off a little over 100. Lol. I dunno I'm just skeptical about the tires just since I've never heard anything about the authority ... I've heard of goodyear wranglers and know there decent tires but don't know about the authority ones.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
No it shuts off a little over 100. Lol. I dunno I'm just skeptical about the tires just since I've never heard anything about the authority ... I've heard of goodyear wranglers and know there decent tires but don't know about the authority ones.

Sorry, can't help you with that, not familiar with either. What I can tell you is that many years ago I came to the conclusion that 99.99999% I will never buy Michelin, not because they are not good tires, but because no one can convince me that they are worth the extra premium. I know everyone "swears by" Michelin, just thought I'd throw it out there :D
Sponsored