Sponsored

Tire Pressure Sensors learn automatically or have to manually reset?

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Just curious, do Ford vehicles learn new sensors automatically, or do they have to be learned manually, every time you change them? I have been offered a set of 2019 alloy rims with sensors and snow tires installed, and am wondering if my 2021 Lariat will learn the new sensors, or will I have to have them relearned every time I swap tires/wheels every fall/spring?
Sponsored

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired
Just curious, do Ford vehicles learn new sensors automatically, or do they have to be learned manually, every time you change them? I have been offered a set of 2019 alloy rims with sensors and snow tires installed, and am wondering if my 2021 Lariat will learn the new sensors, or will I have to have them relearned every time I swap tires/wheels every fall/spring?
Interesting question and one I too would like to know the answer to.
I must confess, this is my first truck and I’m not quite sure what the thinking is re snow tires, particularly us Canucks and those in the northern states... I’m pretty sure the recommendation is going to be have a set of snows since the rubber is a different compound. Even though most LT tires have adequate tread profile to handle the snow and slush?
Do you get an insurance break for snow tires in Alberta?

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I must confess, this is my first truck and I’m not quite sure what the thinking is re snow tires, particularly us Canucks and those in the northern states... I’m pretty sure the recommendation is going to be have a set of snows since the rubber is a different compound. Even though most LT tires have adequate tread profile to handle the snow and slush?
Between living in mountains of Colorado and now Montana I've always put Nokian snow tires on my trucks in the winter (along with extra weight in the bed). I'm going to be running Toyo AT3 tires on my new F150 and will give them a chance in the snow this fall before deciding if I want dedicated snows. They've received good snow reviews and while they won't be as good as the Nokians they may be good enough. We'll see . . .

To the original question about TPMS sensors my RAM would automatically sense the new wheels/sensors without a need to manually sync them. I would think (hope?) the Ford will be the same.

OP
OP

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

Living in Toronto, you don't see cold temperatures like we do. Standard tires get very stiff in the cold, so traction suffers greatly. And a pickup, with so little weight over the rear tires, just makes it worse. And yes, I do get a break on insurance for winter tires.

OP
OP

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Whether the sensors automatically relearn or not, I couldn't pass up the deal. I paid $600 for like new 2019 take off 18" rims, sensors and studded 275 65r18 Firestone winter tires used for one season.

Sponsored

Ford4Ever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a
Whether the sensors automatically relearn or not, I couldn't pass up the deal. I paid $600 for like new 2019 take off 18" rims, sensors and studded 275 65r18 Firestone winter tires used for one season.
If they are OEM, they should learn automatically. The only thing I don't know is if they have changed the frequency set for the OEM TPMS lately. Though I doubt they have.

dufunnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 6' bed Platinum Powerboost
I would love to know the answer to this as well. I'm looking at wheels off of a 2016, so I'm wondering if Gen13 TPMS works with Gen14 or not. I know Gen13 and Gen12 are not compatible, but I haven't seen anyone post about 13 to 14 yet.

NiftyF150

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport Leadfoot Gray 302a Ecoboost
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
I haven’t had any luck programming the TPMS sensors in my new wheel & tire setup following the procedure in the manual. I’m going to have the dealership do it when the truck goes in for service next.
Sponsored