JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
('22 PB Plat, 1230lbs)

Our trailer took on some water (damage) and we had to remove it off our property and into to town to get repaired. (Allstate insurance is truly the best)
Guy at the RV place is telling me "your truck can tow that back out to the lake no problem!"...

I don't have a prayer.

I think it would snap my truck in half, he swears it wont.
I'd rather just pay the dually F350 to put her in place.
Tell me I'm right, right?
Not a prayer...

Ford F-150 Time to move the Beast again... 20231114_124436

Dry weight is 11,000lbs

Ford F-150 Time to move the Beast again... 20231114_124528
Sponsored

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It can pull it.
But I don't think it can carry it.
At least not with me at the wheel. 😎
LOL, Im 240lbs... I dont think my 20" rims and tires would allow it.. not too mention I think the leafs would snap like toothpicks...

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I meant ME ain't willing to be the driver with that tounge weight wagging the truck.
But yea, I do eat up some of my Payload as well. I ain't no Bruce Lee. :)

Last edited:

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
First no way I would pull a 40ft, 11,000 lb trailer with a f150. Absolutely not. Your dealer is thinking towing capacity only. Big mistake. Between truck and trailer salesmen not sure who is most uninformed when it comes to towing trailers safely! Putting the truck at risk is one thing, putting yourself or others at risk is another.

Btw must be quite the trailer! Good for you guys.

It is interesting as a theoretical problem - you might be able able to do under a very constricted set of conditions:
- short, very level , smooth drive - no hills
- lower speed limit roads
- pull in site as don't want to have to back it in on an angle of any sort
- have less than 1/4 tank of gas as you payload assumes u have a full tank
- strip off anything that can be removed from truck - tonne cover, tail gate, etc
- get to the trailer dry weight
- have a skinny 16yr old drive it though that would bring other issues LOL
- you have a wdh that is 12k or more

So yeah, nope wouldn't do it no matter what the conditions.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
First no way I would pull a 40ft, 11,000 lb trailer with a f150. Absolutely not. Your dealer is thinking towing capacity only. Big mistake. Between truck and trailer salesmen not sure who is most uninformed when it comes to towing trailers safely! Putting the truck at risk is one thing, putting yourself or others at risk is another.

Btw must be quite the trailer! Good for you guys.

It is interesting as a theoretical problem - you might be able able to do under a very constricted set of conditions:
- short, very level , smooth drive - no hills
- lower speed limit roads
- pull in site as don't want to have to back it in on an angle of any sort
- have less than 1/4 tank of gas as you payload assumes u have a full tank
- strip off anything that can be removed from truck - tonne cover, tail gate, etc
- get to the trailer dry weight
- have a skinny 16yr old drive it though that would bring other issues LOL
- you have a wdh that is 12k or more

So yeah, nope wouldn't do it no matter what the conditions.
Agree on all your points.

The trailer is a "park model" or "destination trailer". Its designed to be towed to it's spot and never moved. And that was the plan until the water leak.

As for the drive it has about 20 miles of freeway drive up and down hills, not mountains but good hills. Then another 20 on windy, hilly, country highway. Finally nose down into my driveway and then back down into its spot.
Hopefully we will get it out there and never move it again...
:)

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I second all of what @Northguy says. It's possible, under certain conditions, to tow something this big without risk of serious damage to your vehicle, but you'd certainly be way over the weight ratings (probably all of them).

I don't know the specific circumstances of your situation, so it's possible that it would work, but I'm guessing that you don't have very many flat areas to tow through in northern Idaho, so I'm guessing that it's unlikely. Edit: we posted at the same time, and you confirmed my suspicions. I don't think that I would try it with an F150.

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Of course they sales guy says it will pull it and be fine, its not his truck.

Enterprise rents 250/350 with the powerstroke and charges a nominal fee to tow.

For one time I would 100% do that before I put that behind your F150.

Why not beat up a rental truck instead of the truck you pay for?

Los150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3.5L EB Platinum w/BAP
Occupation
Info Tech
So what if the F-150 has the max tow package? If the truck is rated for 14k lbs, then it seems that 11k should not be an issue. I wouldn't want to haul that cross country but I'm assuming this is considerably shorter trip.

I know I'm new to truck ownership, so what am I overlooking? I'm always interested in learning more.

Last edited:

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
So what if the F-150 has the max tow package. If the truck is rated for 14k lbs, then it seems that 11k should not be an issue. I wouldn't want to haul that cross country but I'm assuming this is considerably shorter trip.

I know I'm new to truck ownership, so what am I overlooking? I'm always interested in learning more.
It would pull it, there is no way it could carry the tongue weight without being over several limits. For sure Payload, most likely Rear Axle GWR, not sure on Front Axle GWV, but I would guess a yes there also.

That trailer is also considerably heavier than the F150, is 40ft long, and I assume we are talking about the 5.6ft bed F150 so a short wheel base. Could very quickly turn into the tail wagging the dog.

Overall just too much trailer for not enough truck.

Ford SAYS the truck can pull 14k, and maybe it can, but most people i know feel 7-8k is about all you would want to put behind a 1/2ton and even that is a lot.

Sponsored

Los150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3.5L EB Platinum w/BAP
Occupation
Info Tech
AND that's why I ask questions instead of finding out the hard way. Thank you, @Jeff1024

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It would pull it, there is no way it could carry the tongue weight without being over several limits. For sure Payload, most likely Rear Axle GWR, not sure on Front Axle GWV, but I would guess a yes there also.

That trailer is also considerably heavier than the F150, is 40ft long, and I assume we are talking about the 5.6ft bed F150 so a short wheel base. Could very quickly turn into the tail wagging the dog.

Overall just too much trailer for not enough truck.

Ford SAYS the truck can pull 14k, and maybe it can, but most people i know feel 7-8k is about all you would want to put behind a 1/2ton and even that is a lot.
So for clarity... I already own the trailer, it had to be hauled off the property to the RV place for service and I hired them to haul it into town for the work...

It was the service tech telling me my truck could do it, basically saying, "Don't hire us, you can do it yourself..."

@Los150 I do have the Max Tow package, but like @Jeff1024 said, the trailer is 11,300lbs dry and my truck is a fraction of that, there are so many factors, leaf springs, brakes, 20" rims, and not proper rated Hancooks tires etc. (I do actually have the 6.5' bed so theres that), but all in all the mechanic either is an idiot, or just trying to flex his, 'come on man, I can do it, even you know what you are doing, you can too...'

End of story, writing the check and having them place it, with their F350\3500 Dually. It's actually a pretty tight squeeze and downhill to place the 43ft trailer. I will back my boat, flatbed car trailer and jet skis all day long, but I don't even want to attempt the trailer placement.
:\

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
So what if the F-150 has the max tow package? If the truck is rated for 14k lbs, then it seems that 11k should not be an issue. I wouldn't want to haul that cross country but I'm assuming this is considerably shorter trip.

Los150, a properly equipped F150 might be able to pull the full 14,000 lbs if the trailer looks like this:
Ford F-150 Time to move the Beast again... 1700447857199

(source: https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/137212-best-hay-wagon-designsideas/page/2/)

If the hitch isn’t carrying any significant weight, then you wouldn't have any concerns about payload or axle loads. On the other hand, with the trailer being discussed, probably 12-15% of the trailer’s weight would be placed on the hitch, which would probably exceed payload and axle weight ratings, and maybe even the hitch’s weight rating as well. It’s not likely that a half-ton truck could safely tow that trailer in the conditions that he said he needs it towed in (hills and winding roads).

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
The weight carrying limit on the F-150 hitch is what, 580 pounds with no weight distribution hitch? The only way an F-150 will tow 14,000 pounds is if it’s a big triple axle trailer with low aero. Think of a big quarry block on a flatbed trailer and a WDH. That’s the only thing an F-150 will tow in that class. Camper or travel trailer, even a boat? Forget about it. Won’t happen.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Edit: I was typing while JExpedition was beating me to it. :)

When you see a 1/2 ton truck actually towing it's full tow rating, it's often a flatbed trailer with something heavy enough on top of it to make up the remainder of the weight.

Think F150 pulling a tandem axle heavy duty flatbed trailer with a tractor or vehicle on top. And the trailer allows the Payload on top to be positioned strategically to manage tongue weight.

14,000# is still going to be tough though without exceeding the trucks Payload. But mathematically doable if the truck had at least 1800lbs Payload capacity.

I have a Powerboost with 2000# Payload, so it could definitely tow its maximum tow rating with a trailer configured that way.

Having said all that, you can throw all of it out the window when talking RVs. :)
For a lot of reasons.
Sponsored