Sponsored

Time for New Pirrelli Tires.... Any suggestions?

Pelican

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (502A) Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost
Occupation
Financial Management
I've run both for decades, in harsh conditions.

I haven't come across a better tire for my uses, for the money.

If I still needed that type of tire, I wouldn't hesitate.

But this truck won't see such harsh service.

I spent most of yesterday studying tires.

Wrote this about a little of it.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/gy-wrangler-territory-at-18.18050/

Found a couple vids that were helpful too.

Speaking of the Coopers.

I found several of his vids to be pretty informative.
Coopers have served my wife and I well, too.

Thank you for the informative information (link to thread and video). I read and watched them. I appreciate you sharing. Very informative.

This tire discussion reminds me of the "what engine should I choose" thread. My opinion is the same here as it was there - preferences and use typically dictate.

Thanks again for the info and good luck shopping for new tread:).
Sponsored

OP
OP
HDT05

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Well I took the plunge and strapped on a set of the Michelin's..... The tire shop doesn't do alignments so it's getting done on Thursday along with the 40k service at my local dealer (who look after me very well)...

First impressions on the tire, is it's a quieter and smoother ride... (although that could quite easily be due to the condition of my Pirrelli's)...;)... so far so good....

I like 'em...

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
So I take it the Pirelli with 40k on them were NOT as smooth and quiet as when they were fresh?

I suspect you are getting a nice contrast between worn tire/fresh Michelins. I've done so on a few trucks over the years. It's a sweet honeymoon period for sure. :)

tilefordude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 xlt 302 high 3.5 eco
Occupation
Tile Setter
I made the mistake of not checking my alignment when my truck was delivered. It had odd high speed handling which I eventually traced to negative toe on the front but the wear was done.

Even though I've rotated them often the outer shoulder is getting bald on one or two from cornering..... (running at 32psi cold)

2023-05-15 14.36.39.jpg
my truck has 22k miles and my tires look identical to these except i have the hancooks

OP
OP
HDT05

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
my truck has 22k miles and my tires look identical to these except i have the hancooks
As someone said to me a long time ago... check the alignment.... unfortunately... once the wear patterns set in then it appears to be all over.... That's why I'm going to get a Ford dealer alignment with my tools in the bed and the usual tank of gas etc straight away....

As an aside, I have had quite a few X5's and an X6 which chewed tire edges as well.... it was just the reality of the tire doing the work to make a 2 tonne SUV handle....

Sponsored

tilefordude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 xlt 302 high 3.5 eco
Occupation
Tile Setter
As someone said to me a long time ago... check the alignment.... unfortunately... once the wear patterns set in then it appears to be all over.... That's why I'm going to get a Ford dealer alignment with my tools in the bed and the usual tank of gas etc straight away....

As an aside, I have had quite a few X5's and an X6 which chewed tire edges as well.... it was just the reality of the tire doing the work to make a 2 tonne SUV handle....
i have owned 6 f 150s this is the first one to ever do this on 20k miles. thanks i would have thought ford would align them at the factory but with all the issues i read on here nothing surprises me anymore.

OP
OP
HDT05

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
i have owned 6 f 150s this is the first one to ever do this on 20k miles. thanks i would have thought ford would align them at the factory but with all the issues i read on here nothing surprises me anymore.
I feel ya.... I grappled with weird handling, roll over steer, nervousness at high speed and spoke to all sorts of people about suspension changes, only to find my 'factory' alignment was completely out and was the culprit.... unfortunately it cost me the life on the OE tires.....

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Really like those two-tone wheels on your STX. Kinda wish my Lariat Sport had them instead of the matte black/gunmetal wheels. Same tire, though. Not too many complaints on my end, but it was an unusually mild winter around here.
Thanks! I don’t mean to sound like a whiner, they aren’t awful. I just think my Michelin LTX behaved a bit nicer on my last truck.

OP
OP
HDT05

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
So I have had the Michelins on for a week now.... for others making the choice I thought I'd just add a couple of initial impressions...

The ride seems a little quieter/less harsh... Texas concrete roads seem to intrude into the cabin quite a bit less...... which I love even with 37psi all round...

The quieter/less harsh road noise possibly comes at the expense of handling though.... Was on a curved overpass I drive most days on my way to work, at speed and was surprised at how the tires 'squirmed'?

Truck felt sponge like on grip and turn... had to use steering inputs that hadn't done before with the Pirrelli's.... not a drama but was a surprise....

Went down a straight tollway and gave it a little bit of minor steering input ( poor guy behind me must have had a fit as he changed lanes quick) and it definitely has a softer/squirm steering response.... not sure if it's sidewalls or tread style but comfort does appear to come at the expense of a little of the highway handling.....
Sponsored

Last edited: