First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I'll have to stick to my French-Canadian opinion on this one. Getting a hybrid truck is a green-er choice, not a green choice. A full EV, smaller vehicle, PHEV are all much more efficient and what the private and government incentives were built for.

Paying the premium for a PB is definitely a better eco-choice than a 5.0 or the non-hybrid alternative, but still not what or who hybrid incentives are meant for. I would park a ligthning truck in a green spot, I wouldn't park a PB in a hybrid/green spot.

Found the government of Ontario's eligibility criteria for a "green plate". It's insightful and might help support my point, which is not that hybrid isnt' a better option rather that a hybrid parking spot is not intended for a powerboost.

Get a green licence plate | Ontario.ca
If that is true, then I think they are missing the point. the point should be to always choose the green-er option not always the green-est option. I.e. I could have brought a prius, sure, but a prius can't do what I want. could have bought a hybrid sienna, but again, it doesn't quite meet my needs, thought I could get it to do it. Shoving a bunch of mulch in thte back of a $60k+ minivan isn't something I'm looking to do (an potentially ruin).

I'm not sure I get your point "but not what or who hybrid incentives are meant for". Who are they meant for? Aren't they meant to get people to chose vehicles that given other options a green-er choice?

Looking at your link, the original Prius would not qualify as "Hybrid" under those definitions. The original Prius was neither a PHEV nor a BEV. Are you saying that those shouldn't qualify for these incentives? Same for the new Sienna hybrid or countless other hybrids that aren't PHEVs.

*Note that link calls out that traditional HEVs are not considered Hybrids, odd since they have Hybrid in the name. I don't agree with Ontario's definition here.
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
You know it just IRKS some folks that a Lightning, or even better, the Hummer is an EV! 🤣🤣🤣

We are a delightful species to observe.
That's a good point. Wasn't the EV Hummer found to produce more CO2 than a ICE Chevy Malibu? Again, I know they have different purposes, but lets not pretend that even all EVs are the greenest choice to make.

GM said the reason for this was that the Hummer was a "performance-oriented EV". If a hummer can get that classification, why not a Powerboost?

*again I've actually never considered using any of these spots seriously, mainly because I park out in BFE to prevent people from door dinging me.

jflottawa

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Director, Software Development
You had me right up until the bureaucrat definition of.
Well just trying to support my point of view, since that's my personal definition as well :)

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Same. My wife mocks me for parking far away. I sent her this pic one day when she wasn't out shopping with me:
parking lot.jpg

It's actually a busy parking lot at a grocery store. Just no one parks that far back...
Me as well. I drop the wife off at the door and go park the truck. When we are going to leave, I go get the truck and drive up to the door. She usually has to use the rest room anyways...LOL

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Here is my state's official doc for getting "EV" plates, note the eligibility: "Anyone with an electric or hybrid passenger vehicle is eligible for Electric Vehicle plates". The PowerBoost would definitely qualify under that definition as written.

Ford F-150 Ticketed for parking my PowerBoost Hybrid in a Hybrid Spot Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.16.02 AM

jflottawa

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Here is my state's official doc for getting "EV" plates, note the eligibility: "Anyone with an electric or hybrid passenger vehicle is eligible for Electric Vehicle plates". The PowerBoost would definitely qualify under that definition as written.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 10.16.02 AM.png
I'll say this instead then: for those who want to park in a hybrid spot, make sure your local jurisdiction agrees with your definition of hybrid - then you're free to park in that spot! :D

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
That's a good point. Wasn't the EV Hummer found to produce more CO2 than a ICE Chevy Malibu? Again, I know they have different purposes, but lets not pretend that even all EVs are the greenest choice to make.

GM said the reason for this was that the Hummer was a "performance-oriented EV". If a hummer can get that classification, why not a Powerboost?

*again I've actually never considered using any of these spots seriously, mainly because I park out in BFE to prevent people from door dinging me.
BFE?

jflottawa

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Me as well. I drop the wife off at the door and go park the truck. When we are going to leave, I go get the truck and drive up to the door. She usually ha to use the rest room anyways...LOL
That's a good idea. That way we're both happy! I will have to suggest that to her.

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP

Beercity

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 701a F150 | 20 Escape hybrid | 13 Escape
Occupation
Dude Named Ben
I remember paying for my wife's 2020 hybrid Escape and paying additional taxes because it is a hybrid vs ICE. The plates also have a yearly additional $70 increase over standard ICE vehicles in WI.
Paying for the privilege of the "green" economy.
When I get my PB I guess I can expect to pay over $200 each year for registration.

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I remember paying for my wife's 2020 hybrid Escape and paying additional taxes because it is a hybrid vs ICE. The plates also have a yearly additional $70 increase over standard ICE vehicles in WI.
Paying for the privilege of the "green" economy.
When I get my PB I guess I can expect to pay over $200 each year for registration.
Wow, what a way to disincentivize people from making "green" decisions. At least the MA plates are the same price as regular ones.

Reactions: 780

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect

jflottawa

First Name