Ticketed for parking my PowerBoost Hybrid in a Hybrid Spot

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Title pretty much says it all, on a recent business trip I parked my truck in a special section with spots reserved for hybrid or electric vehicles at Boston Logan airport. Came back at the end of the week and found 2 separate tickets for “Parking in hybrid/EV spot”… Now I get to fight with MassPort ticketing (Who only accept appeals by written mail, ugh) for them incorrectly giving my hybrid vehicle a ticket for parking in a hybrid spot.

As much as I appreciate how subtly they did the badging on the truck, a little badge here or there indicating hybrid something or other or a little electrical symbol somewhere would have really helped in situations like this. As mad as I want to be about the ticket, I honestly can’t blame the people writing them for not knowing. Unless they curiously decided to search what “POWERBOOST” means from the badge on the door there would be absolutely nothing indicating the truck is indeed a hybrid and allowed to use the spots.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Blame the American consumer. When GM came out with their hybrid SUV’s which had hybrid branding all over them they were a total flop. Hybrids weren’t seen as “tough”. Ford has had to market these as more power, more efficiency, fancy generator, cool name: powerboost.

also that’s super frustrating. I’ve debated parking in hybrid spots for this very issue.

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Blame the American consumer. When GM came out with their hybrid SUV’s which had hybrid branding all over them they were a total flop. Hybrids weren’t seen as “tough”. Ford has had to market these as more power, more efficiency, fancy generator, cool name: powerboost.

also that’s super frustrating. I’ve debated parking in hybrid spots for this very issue.
Yup, I’ve been afraid of the same thing and avoided them in the past, but wasn’t finding anything anywhere else. Massachusetts (And I assume other states as well) does offer special plates for hybrids or EVs with “EV” written vertically on one side and some green lettering. It’s meant as a safety thing so first responders are aware there are potentially hazardous batteries inside the car in the event of a crash etc, but also obviously would help in a situation like this as well. Anything with a hybrid battery qualifies to use them as well, not just for EVs. Pretty sure you need to pay extra on your registration to get them though, which is a bit annoying.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
Surprised they wouldn't be able to see that information if they looked up the plates in their system. Not sure how that works or if it would even show up. My insurance card shows hybrid so I'd be surprised if their system didn't mention it.

One of the managers at work has a Powerboost as well and security has given him hell for parking in the "green" parking spaces on several occasions.

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Leave a copy of the window sticker on the dash with the powertrain highlighted.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
If you plan on going to places with parking spaces reserved for hybrids on a regular basis, you should take a piece of cardboard and write HYBRID on it. When you leave just stick it on the dash where your VIN is located and snap a picture of it.

Laziness may still prevail but at least you can say you took some steps to save you a little work in the end.

Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I would think the hybrid parking spaces would be a might bit small for an F150 crewcab

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Completely beyond my comprehension why someone with a hybrid that does not need to be plugged in gets special privileges in a parking lot.
I can actually understand the reason for parking for plug in vehicles, but even that has bullshit built right in.
You have now tied up a charger for however long your trip is keeping others from the station til you return.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Are these Hybrid parking spaces equipped with chargers? Or is it simply an incentive based parking area to encourage folks to own Hybrids.

If it's the second, then I think a big fat Powerboost deserves to be King of the Hybrid parking lot!

PGPowerboost

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Occupation
Financial Professional
Completely beyond my comprehension why someone with a hybrid that does not need to be plugged in gets special privileges in a parking lot.
I can actually understand the reason for parking for plug in vehicles, but even that has bullshit built right in.
You have now tied up a charger for however long your trip is keeping others from the station til you return.
They didn’t tie up anything, parked in a hybrid only parking space. Some places are trying to encourage adoption by giving preferential treatment to hybrids, including Massport. They have every right to that spot. Any help one can get parking at BOS you should take.
Sponsored