First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 F150 Lariat, 2018 Explorer, 1975 John Deere
Occupation
Retired
I'm new here but would appreciate people's thoughts. My current F150 2005 Lariat is in excellent condition, very dependable, and runs like a top. It has the 5.4 Triton engine, with 150k on it. I've ordered a 2021 Lariat with the 3.5 EB. However, after reading numerous threads on the 2021, I'm not sure I want to go through with it. Sounds like it has a fair number of problems. Last thing I want is to go from a very dependable truck to a WTF! I'm 70 now and can, but don't enjoy working on problematic vehicles. My largest concern is I have to make an 800 mile trip every two or three weeks to take care of our son, and I'm not sure how many more miles my Triton has in it. Sooooo, your thoughts?
Sponsored

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I think if you can/want to afford a 2021 they’re fucking great and I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to dump the 2005 and entire a new generation of trucks.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I don’t think we on this forum are a large slice of new F-150 ownership. Yes, some of us have some issues, some more than others. That can be expected from a new generation of any vehicle.

This 2021 is a fantastic truck. Better all the way around than previous gens.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I think most of these issues are coming up on the very early builds.
Oct -Dec.
I have not run across anything in my January XLT.
But to be fair, since our cold snap in Texas that showed up the day after I picked mine up, I have not really used it at all---still under 175 miles.

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
Old Fart,

What others have said. There aren't a huge amount of 'problems' and they aren't common... and as stated, they're in the 'early builds'. By the time you get yours, they should be long past.

Common sense reminds this is a whole new build/generation of trucks, with over 90% changes and TONS of new technology - and they're mostly cosmetic issues... superficial and technological.

If you want, just wait another 6-months then buy... but no reason not to get a 2021 eventually.

Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
I think if you're worried and since you obviously don't "flip" through vehicles quickly, you'd be better to wait until 2021 model year. Current trucks w/chance of launch issues are for "early adopters" who want the latest. Keep an eye on this forum and any issues (that don't get straightened out as part of launch) will become obvious - also the relative merits of the different engine/powertrains should become clearer?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
For the last 20+ years, every single time I have purchased a vehicle, I have gone out and driven/considered a Ford F-150. For one reason or another, likely due to my Father being a big Ford guy in my youth, I have just always wanted to own an F-150. For countless reasons, I have passed on the F-150 and gone with something else every time.

Well, this is nothing like any F-150 I have ever seen or rode in. Period. It is nothing like any truck I have ever considered, by any manufacturer. I ordered a truck in a package I had (at the time) never seen in person, in a color I had (at the time) never seen in person, based on photos and one 15 minute drive of an XLT Sport.

I have owned 5 Toyota's and 4 Honda products, I know what it means to own something reliable and built well. I have also owned three Jeeps, so I know what it is like to own something unreliable and built to no exacting spec of any sort (lol). I have the utmost faith that I did not just blow $60+ thousand dollars on a dud.

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Yes! You will love the ecoboost over the 5.4 plus the truck drives great. I've noticed on long road trips I'm less tried because of the improved seats and suspension.

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
I haven't had mine that long, just 3 weeks, almost 900 miles, and I freaking love it. It was built beginning of January and the only problems I've had are the flag trim on the passenger side isn't flush, and trouble with getting Android Auto to work but since forcing an update on the app, and uninstalling Chrome updates then updating Chrome it works fine. Through that time bluetooth still worked if you like to listen to music through your phone.

OP
OP

Old fart

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 F150 Lariat, 2018 Explorer, 1975 John Deere
Occupation
Retired
I really appreciate all the opinions of everyone. So if it were you, and this could possibly be the last new truck you buy, would you buy a 21, or possibly wait for a more refined 22. Thanks again in advance!

Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I really appreciate all the opinions of everyone. So if it were you, and this could possibly be the last new truck you buy, would you buy a 21, or possibly wait for a more refined 22. Thanks again in advance!
I think to some extent new model years have some quirks but rest assured Ford WILL take care of it. I’ve never been let down with them. Whichever year you decide to get I don’t think you will regret it, but if I were you I’d say take the plunge on the 2021! Don’t look back!

Tbanks10

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017F150 Lariot
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm new here but would appreciate people's thoughts. My current F150 2005 Lariat is in excellent condition, very dependable, and runs like a top. It has the 5.4 Triton engine, with 150k on it. I've ordered a 2021 Lariat with the 3.5 EB. However, after reading numerous threads on the 2021, I'm not sure I want to go through with it. Sounds like it has a fair number of problems. Last thing I want is to go from a very dependable truck to a WTF! I'm 70 now and can, but don't enjoy working on problematic vehicles. My largest concern is I have to make an 800 mile trip every two or three weeks to take care of our son, and I'm not sure how many more miles my Triton has in it. Sooooo, your thoughts?
My F150 is perfect so far with 500 miles on 3.5 EB. My buddy has an 05 with the Triton motor with approximately same miles as you. He has blown out 2 spark plugs in the last month which is a very common problem on the Tritons as the spark plug is only held in with 4 threads. It also takes out the coil pack on the cylinder that blows out. He is having the other six tapped and re-plugged just to be sure it doesn’t happen again. I would go with the new truck and Ziegler ESP if you plan on keeping it past the factory warranty period. That’s what I did.

Viper1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
Just my thoughts, they may not help. I never lease, always buy. I kept my last vehicle for 14+ years. I was planning on financing, but I've switched to a lease. This gives me the chance to give it a chance, and if I buy out at the end it won't cost me much more than it would have had I financed. I guesstimated a higher interest rate and had a difference of about $1000. The way the market is going, dealerships will likely buy you out of your lease a six months to a year early which will then give you a chance to buy again. By then all the kinks will be worked out. Just my thoughts.

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King ranch power boost
Three years 36,000 miles bumper-to-bumper warranty, why worry. If you got the cash go for it.

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
If you want it to be your last truck, I'd see if you find the 2021 you want and if you can't with all these delays going on I wouldn't sweat it and wait for the 2022.
Sponsored