Sponsored

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150, 2023 Audi Etron Quattro
Occupation
Doer of stuff and things.
Context: This will be a weekend adventure vehicle for an expanding family where cargo space reigns supreme. We frequently enjoy outdoor/recreational activities/camping that requires a lot of gear. Plus, toddlers and their “gear” take up a surprisingly large amount of space. My wife and I are tired of playing Jenga and Tetris in a much smaller vehicle so I ~finally~ got the go ahead to order a truck to help enable our family adventure time. Additionally there is the possibility of a bed camper and/or boat in the future so payload and towing are also a major decision point. Based on the desire for maximizing storage space for gear and planning ahead for payload needs it would be wise to go for a super duty. Alas, super duties are big, like, really big. So big in fact, that I would not be able to park it in my driveway without blocking the sidewalk which is a big no no where I live. Ixnaying the super duty because of its size and some other considerations left me needing an F150.

I started looking into purchasing the truck during the tail end of the 2022 model year. As I was doing my research and comparisons between XL vs XLT vs Lariat, 2022 model year orders were blocked and preorders for 2023 model years began. This happened in late August/early September.

I originally had settled on the 2022 XLT HDPP. The XLT trim had many of the features I wanted but did come with a major con (for me) of having the 40/20/40 bench seat setup. I had gathered in forum posts that late model 2022 bench seat trucks (and perhaps earlier) were losing the storage console built into the top (back) of the foldable bench seat. Regardless of this, I was prepared to order a XLT HDPP/Max Tow and as I contacted my dealer to make this order I was told that they had flipped to preorders for the 2023 model year and that HDPP was no longer available in XLT trim. Bummer (at least I originally thought). I was concerned that a single option was going to pigeonhole me into something I was not excited about and at that point I had to question do I really ~need~ the HDPP?.

Based on the Ford Esource Book and Towing Specification documents I had scrounged up from the forums along with payload stickers of prior HDPP F150s I speculated the HDPP would get me between 2200 and 2500lb payload. Our current camp payload (including passengers and all gear/bikes/canoe/equipment/racks/food/water) is just shy of 1000 pounds which would be plenty for a mid spec F150 with 1600+ of payload. However this truck is going to receive a topper and a drawer organization system for the bed which will come at about 400lbs combined. So now we are at 1400. Still some wiggle room with most F150s. But what about a boat? Or a trailer for glamping? A 5000 boat or trailer translates into 500 pounds of tongue weight. That would push our fully loaded payload to about 2000 pounds. The odds that we purchase a trailer or boat in the next few years is pretty good and I want to make sure this truck will be able to handle anything we throw at it, or on it. I just think of it as future proofing and contingency planning. Ultimately the HDPP XL gave me the most coverage for the future and the basic XL trim in 102a provided me with everything I would “need” in a truck and perhaps just as importantly, nothing I don’t “want.” So what exactly am I sacrificing by being forced down to the lowly XL trim?

At the time (and still as of this writing) the Ford website was still showing 2022 model years so it was quite frustrating trying to see what features and options have changed between XLT and XL trims. My next quest had me locate the 2023 order book for F150s where I could preemptively check out the build combinations and compare/contrast the trim options for 2023. I was highly considering the XLT 302A (high) trim while being cognizant of my options to still try to keep payload reasonably high. The items that the XLT 302A had that I would be missing on an XL HDPP:
  • Intelligent Access and Push Button Start: This is not found on standard 2023 XLTs but it does come with the high 302A package. It is a huge consideration for me. Our most recent vehicle has this feature and I love it. I am constantly juggling gear/toddler/other things in my hands and this is a feature that is appreciated daily. I would hate to lose it going down to XL
  • LED Mirrors and headlights: This looks great aesthetically but I ultimately decided that I can upfit aftermarket LEDs with a style that I like even better than OEM LEDs. If I got the XLT I would probably leave well enough alone.
  • Zone lighting: extra lighting is always good and it would have been conveniently built into the vehicle, but ultimately it can be added aftermarket.
  • 360 camera package: Nice to have and could be quite helpful, but ultimately a luxury I that would probably not be used that frequently.
  • Power Sliding rear window: I plan on a bed cap so this feature has limited uses, plus I wanted to keep payload down, easy pass
  • Remote start system via your key fob. The XL version can still remote start via the Ford app but that is much more inefficient than the convenience of your key fob.
  • Interior work surface: Oddly the interior work surface is not available on the 102A (high) XL trim. This is something that would have been nice to have but I have lived my life thus far without it.
  • Pro Power Onboard: Very nice to have and convenient. Still decided I would have dropped the feature to save payload and would most likely find a portable battery generator to have more utility with my needs. With the 5.0 gas engine the engine must be running to use pro power so an easy pass. I also imagine appreciating all of the extra under seat storage opened up by not having the inverter there.
  • Upgraded audio: can easily do aftermarket.

There were other differences between the various equipment groups in XL vs XLT 2023 trims but those are the ones that weighed on me, primarily the intelligent access and push button start. It is embarrassing how much I went back and forth about this single feature.

There were a few things about the XLT 302a package which I did not want:
  • In the 302A package you must get the chrome appearance package to get the column shift. Pass on chrome for me.
  • The Sport Appearance package is also available but that requires a console shifter. This is not a deal breaker alone but I also did not want the painted bumper. Looks awesome, but rock chips are a real thing.
  • There is no carpet delete option for 2023 and the 302a package requires carpet. No carpet for this truck.
  • The 302a XLT was about $8000 more than the HDPP XL. I would rather use that $8000 for aftermarket upgrades to make that basic truck more “mine.”

During my research about F150s I found these forums to be, quite literally, the most helpful source of information the internet has to offer. It cannot be understated how the amount of knowledge and wisdom in these forums surpasses every dealership salesman I spoke with. After what amounted to quite literally/embarrassingly dozens of hours of research I was able to make a well informed decision about purchasing my truck. My desire is that this post may also help guide others to make better informed decisions.

As of the time of this posting I have received my VIN with a scheduled build date in early November. Time will tell if that holds true. I have quite a few aftermarket plans for this truck so check back in a few months (or years…)!
Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Super duty short box and HDPP will be close to the same length. My want to double check that it will fit as well.

You could option the full floor console in the HDPP as well. 40/console/40. When I built an HDPP on Fords site prior to ordering my 302a that's what I was picking as I'd rather additional storage vs seating for 6.

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the Pros/Cons of the SD vs F150. The dimensions of both the F150 and SD do indeed have similar lengths but the width and height were also considerations. I regularly load a canoe on roof racks/bed racks and I appreciate the height of the F150 vs SD. It is amazing the difference a few inches can make when loading a bulky canoe by yourself. I did multiple test drives of super duties and F150s as similar to the spec I would have ordered as possible and I just liked the way the F150 drives compared to the SD. I can see our payload needs being in the low 2000s as offered by the F150 but I cannot fathom needing 3000+ that a super duty would offer. The SD would just encourage me buy a bigger boat and trailer. I did consider ordering a higher trim SD to makeup for some of those lost features in the XL but found that the majority of those features offered in higher trims were items that I personally do not need/enjoy. I ended up not being too bummed out about the 2023 XL trim. My kids are going to grow up with self driving vehicles and fancy tech so a part of me wanted the nostalgic throwback of still needing to use a key. It may be the last vehicle of its kind =). This truck is going to take a beating so less features/tech is more in my mind.

Reactions: 780

dirty.hal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL Supercrew
I was literally in the exact same boat as you, went down to the dealer to order a 2023 XLT HDPP and ended up walking out when I found out I couldn't get an XLT. My local dealer wasn't super helpful in explaining what that would entail so I ended up doing my own research and ended up ordering a 2023 XL HDPP through Granger, which actually saved a lot of money over the XLT and got basically everything I wanted. There were some luxuries that you mentioned above but being able to get the console instead of a bench seat was a big want of mine so I'm happy.

The 360 degree cameras are nice but not a necessity if you have a spotter, otherwise you might just have to get out of the car yourself and take a look. My current vehicle has the 360 degree cameras, I use them occasionally, but they are hidden behind a few menus so not super convenient to pull up.

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 HDPP Max Tow 3.5LEcoBoost
Occupation
General Contractor
My dealer in TX has one of these on the lot, I ordered 2, and ended up only buying 1, since I had to by a truck before these were built.

Here is the window sticker from my Blue one, the white is exactly the same, other than color.

Ford F-150 Thoughts on Ordering a 2023 HDPP F-150 XL (vs. XLT) Screenshot_20220825-083937_Adobe Acrobat

6.5ft bed, 4x4, HDPP Max Tow 3.5 ecoboost with 2.0 pro power and larger fuel tank.

Payload is 2495lbs and towing is rated up to 13800lbs

Has console and interior work surface.

I love it, basically same thought process as you are having with all the selections.

Ford F-150 Thoughts on Ordering a 2023 HDPP F-150 XL (vs. XLT) IMG_6927

Sponsored

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I speced out my "ideal" XLT 302a in a vain attempt to try to convince myself to not go XL HDPP but I found the $8000 price difference to reinforce going the XL route. In my mind that $8000 can be used to upgrade the halogens to LEDs and cover the cost of a bed organization system + bed cap and still have money left over for a tank of gas.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was literally in the exact same boat as you, went down to the dealer to order a 2023 XLT HDPP and ended up walking out when I found out I couldn't get an XLT. My local dealer wasn't super helpful in explaining what that would entail so I ended up doing my own research and ended up ordering a 2023 XL HDPP through Granger, which actually saved a lot of money over the XLT and got basically everything I wanted. There were some luxuries that you mentioned above but being able to get the console instead of a bench seat was a big want of mine so I'm happy.

The 360 degree cameras are nice but not a necessity if you have a spotter, otherwise you might just have to get out of the car yourself and take a look. My current vehicle has the 360 degree cameras, I use them occasionally, but they are hidden behind a few menus so not super convenient to pull up.
Yes, I do love the 360 cameras. Initially I did not order them but ended up adding them, tow mirrors and 20" wheels to my build. Glad I went with those options.

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
My dealer in TX has one of these on the lot, I ordered 2, and ended up only buying 1, since I had to by a truck before these were built.

Here is the window sticker from my Blue one, the white is exactly the same, other than color.

Screenshot_20220825-083937_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

6.5ft bed, 4x4, HDPP Max Tow 3.5 ecoboost with 2.0 pro power and larger fuel tank.

Payload is 2495lbs and towing is rated up to 13800lbs

Has console and interior work surface.

I love it, basically same thought process as you are having with all the selections.

IMG_6927.jpg
Beautiful truck. The HDPP wheels are awesome too. That is a great pic of them. I definitely missed out on a few nice features with the 22 vs 23 HDPP.

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 HDPP Max Tow 3.5LEcoBoost
Occupation
General Contractor
In case you missed it in the post, my dealer has the white one sitting on the lot right now.

Sames Bastrop Ford in TX

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
360 camera package: Nice to have and could be quite helpful, but ultimately a luxury I that would probably not be used that frequently.
Your truck is ordered so my comment is moot for you, but for others I'll offer the opinion ....
  • The 360-cams option is tremendously useful (more than just "helpful") when maneuvering in typical mall / grocery store parking lots.
  • The 360-cams take-on an IMO significant safety function (beyond standard cams) if your home environment includes children, and that's exponentially multiplied if you install a bed-topper.
I ordered the 360 cams as a 'convenience' not expecting I'd use them that much; In fact I find them invaluable and use them very frequently. IMO they should be viewed as much more than just a convenience, they should be evaluated as a a functional and safety-enhancing driver's aid.

Just one opinion.

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your truck is ordered so my comment is moot for you, but for others I'll offer the opinion ....
  • The 360-cams option is tremendously useful (more than just "helpful") when maneuvering in typical mall / grocery store parking lots.
  • The 360-cams take-on an IMO significant safety function (beyond standard cams) if your home environment includes children, and that's exponentially multiplied if you install a bed-topper.
I ordered the 360 cams as a 'convenience' not expecting I'd use them that much; In fact I find them invaluable and use them very frequently. IMO they should be viewed as much more than just a convenience, they should be evaluated as a a functional and safety-enhancing driver's aid.

Just one opinion.
I'll 2nd that. If you don't have a VIN yet, you can add them if you like. I initially did not but, added them after my order was submitted and was able to add them to my build. Glad I did.

802screw

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost 157"
Context: This will be a weekend adventure vehicle for an expanding family where cargo space reigns supreme. We frequently enjoy outdoor/recreational activities/camping that requires a lot of gear. Plus, toddlers and their “gear” take up a surprisingly large amount of space. My wife and I are tired of playing Jenga and Tetris in a much smaller vehicle so I ~finally~ got the go ahead to order a truck to help enable our family adventure time. Additionally there is the possibility of a bed camper and/or boat in the future so payload and towing are also a major decision point. Based on the desire for maximizing storage space for gear and planning ahead for payload needs it would be wise to go for a super duty. Alas, super duties are big, like, really big. So big in fact, that I would not be able to park it in my driveway without blocking the sidewalk which is a big no no where I live. Ixnaying the super duty because of its size and some other considerations left me needing an F150.

I started looking into purchasing the truck during the tail end of the 2022 model year. As I was doing my research and comparisons between XL vs XLT vs Lariat, 2022 model year orders were blocked and preorders for 2023 model years began. This happened in late August/early September.

I originally had settled on the 2022 XLT HDPP. The XLT trim had many of the features I wanted but did come with a major con (for me) of having the 40/20/40 bench seat setup. I had gathered in forum posts that late model 2022 bench seat trucks (and perhaps earlier) were losing the storage console built into the top (back) of the foldable bench seat. Regardless of this, I was prepared to order a XLT HDPP/Max Tow and as I contacted my dealer to make this order I was told that they had flipped to preorders for the 2023 model year and that HDPP was no longer available in XLT trim. Bummer (at least I originally thought). I was concerned that a single option was going to pigeonhole me into something I was not excited about and at that point I had to question do I really ~need~ the HDPP?.

Based on the Ford Esource Book and Towing Specification documents I had scrounged up from the forums along with payload stickers of prior HDPP F150s I speculated the HDPP would get me between 2200 and 2500lb payload. Our current camp payload (including passengers and all gear/bikes/canoe/equipment/racks/food/water) is just shy of 1000 pounds which would be plenty for a mid spec F150 with 1600+ of payload. However this truck is going to receive a topper and a drawer organization system for the bed which will come at about 400lbs combined. So now we are at 1400. Still some wiggle room with most F150s. But what about a boat? Or a trailer for glamping? A 5000 boat or trailer translates into 500 pounds of tongue weight. That would push our fully loaded payload to about 2000 pounds. The odds that we purchase a trailer or boat in the next few years is pretty good and I want to make sure this truck will be able to handle anything we throw at it, or on it. I just think of it as future proofing and contingency planning. Ultimately the HDPP XL gave me the most coverage for the future and the basic XL trim in 102a provided me with everything I would “need” in a truck and perhaps just as importantly, nothing I don’t “want.” So what exactly am I sacrificing by being forced down to the lowly XL trim?

At the time (and still as of this writing) the Ford website was still showing 2022 model years so it was quite frustrating trying to see what features and options have changed between XLT and XL trims. My next quest had me locate the 2023 order book for F150s where I could preemptively check out the build combinations and compare/contrast the trim options for 2023. I was highly considering the XLT 302A (high) trim while being cognizant of my options to still try to keep payload reasonably high. The items that the XLT 302A had that I would be missing on an XL HDPP:
  • Intelligent Access and Push Button Start: This is not found on standard 2023 XLTs but it does come with the high 302A package. It is a huge consideration for me. Our most recent vehicle has this feature and I love it. I am constantly juggling gear/toddler/other things in my hands and this is a feature that is appreciated daily. I would hate to lose it going down to XL
  • LED Mirrors and headlights: This looks great aesthetically but I ultimately decided that I can upfit aftermarket LEDs with a style that I like even better than OEM LEDs. If I got the XLT I would probably leave well enough alone.
  • Zone lighting: extra lighting is always good and it would have been conveniently built into the vehicle, but ultimately it can be added aftermarket.
  • 360 camera package: Nice to have and could be quite helpful, but ultimately a luxury I that would probably not be used that frequently.
  • Power Sliding rear window: I plan on a bed cap so this feature has limited uses, plus I wanted to keep payload down, easy pass
  • Remote start system via your key fob. The XL version can still remote start via the Ford app but that is much more inefficient than the convenience of your key fob.
  • Interior work surface: Oddly the interior work surface is not available on the 102A (high) XL trim. This is something that would have been nice to have but I have lived my life thus far without it.
  • Pro Power Onboard: Very nice to have and convenient. Still decided I would have dropped the feature to save payload and would most likely find a portable battery generator to have more utility with my needs. With the 5.0 gas engine the engine must be running to use pro power so an easy pass. I also imagine appreciating all of the extra under seat storage opened up by not having the inverter there.
  • Upgraded audio: can easily do aftermarket.

There were other differences between the various equipment groups in XL vs XLT 2023 trims but those are the ones that weighed on me, primarily the intelligent access and push button start. It is embarrassing how much I went back and forth about this single feature.

There were a few things about the XLT 302a package which I did not want:
  • In the 302A package you must get the chrome appearance package to get the column shift. Pass on chrome for me.
  • The Sport Appearance package is also available but that requires a console shifter. This is not a deal breaker alone but I also did not want the painted bumper. Looks awesome, but rock chips are a real thing.
  • There is no carpet delete option for 2023 and the 302a package requires carpet. No carpet for this truck.
  • The 302a XLT was about $8000 more than the HDPP XL. I would rather use that $8000 for aftermarket upgrades to make that basic truck more “mine.”

During my research about F150s I found these forums to be, quite literally, the most helpful source of information the internet has to offer. It cannot be understated how the amount of knowledge and wisdom in these forums surpasses every dealership salesman I spoke with. After what amounted to quite literally/embarrassingly dozens of hours of research I was able to make a well informed decision about purchasing my truck. My desire is that this post may also help guide others to make better informed decisions.

As of the time of this posting I have received my VIN with a scheduled build date in early November. Time will tell if that holds true. I have quite a few aftermarket plans for this truck so check back in a few months (or years…)!

To make it simple for you, you cant (and couldnt on a 21/22 either) get the HDPP with a 302A package. It was limited to 301A or below on 21/22, so even finding used one wont give you any of the following:

-LED Headlights
-Sport Pkg
-B&O Stereo
-Push Button Start
-Zone Lighting
-360 Cameras

and a bunch more, but you are correct on a 23 its XL only as FMC keeps stripping back options.

But sounds like you're making the right decision based upon those needs!

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'll 2nd that. If you don't have a VIN yet, you can add them if you like. I initially did not but, added them after my order was submitted and was able to add them to my build. Glad I did.
360 cameras are not an option for the 2023 HDPP XL trim. I wish they were.

Farmerj

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2020 (2023)
I was more into wanting the payload of 2400lb+, vinyl flooring and a flex fuel vehicle.

BMac506

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 4x4
I have to agree that the 360 cameras are incredibly helpful on a truck this size (I have a SuperCrew with 6.5 foot bed) especially in smaller/tighter parking lots. I haven’t towed with 360 cameras yet as I just got the truck last month but will be towing in 2 weeks and am hoping they help there too. I wanted a Lariat but wanted to be able to tow my travel trailer and built it with towing in mind and ended up with 1906 lb payload which isn’t bad for a 4x4 max tow Lariat. I’m sure you could probably build out an XLT with a payload a little higher than that.
Sponsored