Sponsored

Thinking of switching my 502A order to a 402A Tremor

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
What trails are you hitting with your FX4? I came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee which was much less wide, and had a much better turning radius but even then I was still in some sticky situations in certain spots in the Front Range.

I usually take the FSRs to get to different areas to camp with less crowds, but I'm definitely going to be more selective when I take my truck - specifically for "wider" trails (so I don't drag branches etc along my paint)
No serious trails - we have a cabin up by Salida and use it for driving the old mining roads, mostly around Monarch Pass to get to places like Boss Lake or up Taylor Mountain. I think this is generally what a truck is going to be used for offroad. Anything more serious and I agree - size is the big constraint with a truck (width and turning radius in particular). Even going up those roads its a pain in the ass to pass other vehicles.

My point was mostly that for anything a truck is going to be on I don't think there is much benefit someone is going to get from going up to Tremor or Raptor, at least around here. Things might be different if you are desert rallying. Anywhere a truck can go around here, the FX4 can probably go.

Like you said though - smaller vehicles are going to be way better at navigating tight trails and switchbacks. If someone wants to get on anything more difficult they are probably better off just getting a second smaller (and cheaper) off road vehicle. I had a stock Wrangler TJ for a while and found it much easier to handle due to the size. Plus it had 205k miles on it and I bought it $4k so it could take a few dings and scratches.
Sponsored