Thinking of deleting max tow...

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I’m scheduled for a build week of next week but no sticker or date. I am wanting to add 7.2kw to my PB order, but I would have to pay the $650 difference for the max tow change. I would lose 1400lbs of towing, but gain payload and in turn, which could realistically up my towing capacity when my family is in the truck... it ends up costing me $400 instead of $750 to add the 7.2kw. I’ll never tow more than 10,000lbs, just had it for safety since it was only $350 over regular tow.

Am I going to go to the back of the line IF I can make those changes?

Thoughts on the benefits of max tow for a guy who might rent a travel trailer a couple of times a year?
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I’m scheduled for a build week of next week but no sticker or date. I am wanting to add 7.2kw to my PB order, but I would have to pay the $650 difference for the max tow change. I would lose 1400lbs of towing, but gain payload and in turn, which could realistically up my towing capacity when my family is in the truck... it ends up costing me $400 instead of $750 to add the 7.2kw. I’ll never tow more than 10,000lbs, just had it for safety since it was only $350 over regular tow.

Am I going to go to the back of the line IF I can make those changes?

Thoughts on the benefits of max tow for a guy who might rent a travel trailer a couple of times a year?
Are you sure you're not already paying the $650 increase for Max Tow? Someone who posted on another thread said their retail order from September showed the added $650 for Max Tow on their window sticker a few days ago. Can't remember who or what thread, but it left me thinking we're all getting charged the extra $650 if the truck wasn't built before 12/23. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid to ask my dealer at this point.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
And yeah, I'm thinking about the same deletion of Max Tow, but only if the increased price is being passed onto me and my 8/28/2020 order...Only thin I hate losing is the tow mirrors, which would require the even less useful regular tow package for $1000 to keep...

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Are you sure you're not already paying the $650 increase for Max Tow? Someone who posted on another thread said their retail order from September showed the added $650 for Max Tow on their window sticker a few days ago. Can't remember who or what thread, but it left me thinking we're all getting charged the extra $650 if the truck wasn't built before 12/23. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid to ask my dealer at this point.
I asked my dealer if I had to pay if I changed something else it and he said yes, and didn't say that I had to pay it either way. I will double check. Need to stop in and discuss with him tomorrow.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
And yeah, I'm thinking about the same deletion of Max Tow, but only if the increased price is being passed onto me and my 8/28/2020 order...Only thin I hate losing is the tow mirrors, which would require the even less useful regular tow package for $1000 to keep...
I don't think you have to pay that uplift from my understanding but I will confirm with my dealer and post back.

Yeah, the whole thing devolves. I am in the same boat. I want tow tech, and tow mirrors, that's it really. I was only in max tow because it was only $350 and you actually got something. With a powerboost, Max tow is almost pointless as well, but my original order was EB. Ironically when you add max tow you lower the payload and thus the tongue weight, especially with the family in the car... so its a net loss in towing capacity unless you're flat bedding something by yourself basically.

I think the max tow might even ride stiffer in the back due to the added leaf spring. I think I would be happier with regular tow anyways... even though I am paying basically $1150 for the damn mirrors. (1000+250+750 - 880) Tow+mirrors+360cams-tow tech, right?

Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think you have to pay that uplift from my understanding but I will confirm with my dealer and post back.

Yeah, the whole thing devolves. I am in the same boat. I want tow tech, and tow mirrors, that's it really. I was only in max tow because it was only $350 and you actually got something. With a powerboost, Max tow is almost pointless as well, but my original order was EB.

I think the max tow might even ride stiffer in the back due to the added leaf spring. I think I would be happier with regular tow anyways... even though I am paying basically $1150 for the damn mirrors. (1000+250+750 - 880) Tow+mirrors+360cams-tow tech, right?
Yeah, on the PB Max Tow was a royal screw job at the original price of $1350, and like you, it is mostly about the mirrors for me too. Especially since it seems the payload numbers will never actually allow us to realize that 1,400 lb increase in towing capacity.

If anyone could confirm identical PB trucks without Max Tow actually had a higher pay load rating than the ones with Max Tow I think I'd ditch it for sure. What good is increased towing capacity with less payload capacity.

Tow Tech was a way better deal. AT $2000 Max Tow is a hard pass for me.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Yeah, on the PB Max Tow was a royal screw job at the original price of $1350, and like you, it is mostly about the mirrors for me too. Especially since it seems the payload numbers will never actually allow us to realize that 1,400 lb increase in towing capacity.

If anyone could confirm identical PB trucks without Max Tow actually had a higher pay load rating than the ones with Max Tow I think I'd ditch it for sure. What good is increased towing capacity with less payload capacity.

Tow Tech was a way better deal. AT $2000 Max Tow is a hard pass for me.
Absolutely spot on. Stay tuned.

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
Does the max tow package include the tow mirrors? I didn't think so. Also, have people with the max tow noticed a stiffer ride? I also chose a max tow package since it was cheaper than the regular tow with integrated trailer controller but I don't plan on towing anything really large.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Does the max tow package include the tow mirrors? I didn't think so. Also, have people with the max tow noticed a stiffer ride? I also chose a max tow package since it was cheaper than the regular tow with integrated trailer controller but I don't plan on towing anything really large.
They all have the integrated controller.

No the mirrors are another $250 but you can’t get them without a tow package.

No info on the ride but I suspect it’s slightly different.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Depending on the type of OEM mirrors you get (standard/heated/powered/auto-folding/360 camera), you *might* be able to get the correct after-market tow mirrors and install them yourself.

Sponsored

Lucidkevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 f-350
How much of a payload increase is achieved by deleting the max tow package?

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Note sure, maybe 100lbs or so. Not enough stickers shared to confirm. Either way it’s $2100 for mirrors, salty.

Matt604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer 2011->Ford 150 PB Limited 2021
The specs doc for payload calcs that has been shared in this forum says Max Tow Package is a 15lbs hit to payload.

You still need the standard Tow Package is my understanding to get a hitch, brake controller, etc and increase towable fro 5000lbs->11000lbs. I dropped Max Tow from order since even a little payload boost is good, high max tow is useless for travel trailers, and it saves money.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
The specs doc for payload calcs that has been shared in this forum says Max Tow Package is a 15lbs hit to payload.

You still need the standard Tow Package is my understanding to get a hitch, brake controller, etc and increase towable fro 5000lbs->11000lbs. I dropped Max Tow from order since even a little payload boost is good, high max tow is useless for travel trailers, and it saves money.
Is that based on this year or previous? This year there are more hardware adds on mat tow. If you have the hitch and tow tech, would you still be rated at 11,000? That’s my big question. Lariat high has everything else in the tow pack when paired with tow tech from my understanding but the documentation isn’t clear.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Depending on the type of OEM mirrors you get (standard/heated/powered/auto-folding/360 camera), you *might* be able to get the correct after-market tow mirrors and install them yourself.
Anyone contemplating adding Ford Tow Mirrors to a truck that came without them is going to spend about $1100 (With 360 Cameras and BLIS) through the internet Ford parts dealers that discount, and then there is a question if the BLIS and lighting and everything will all work plug and play. If you go with non Ford parts you'll likely lose the cameras and BLIS. It sucks that they gouge us on the trailer packages to get the mirrors, but it is what it is.
Sponsored