First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I installed this bundle last week, and used the OBD daisy chain power cable that is also the one ford uses on their dash cams on accessories website, think ware has the same OBD power cable as it made by a 3rd party
i also use a 132 gb mini memory card vice the 32 gb it comes with.
some one had mentioned the cable caused a dtc or issues when ford used the obd plug to run diagnostics in the shop
mine does not, Monday they used it to see the issue with the driver front tire pressure sensor failure .

the internet connection process is confusing at best and took me hours to get it right. found out if truck wifi is on it will confuse the unit and not let it connect to the smart phone for programing . but once its programed it will connect to you phone each time and truck wifi ON or OFF does not bother it.
running wires through headliner, avoiding the air bags and sunroof stuff was a chore but it got done

Ford F-150 think ware U1000 dashcam bundle dash cam (1)

Ford F-150 think ware U1000 dashcam bundle dash cam (2)

Ford F-150 think ware U1000 dashcam bundle dash cam (3)

Ford F-150 think ware U1000 dashcam bundle dash cam (4)

Ford F-150 think ware U1000 dashcam bundle dash cam (5)

Ford F-150 think ware U1000 dashcam bundle dash cam screen shot (1)

Ford F-150 think ware U1000 dashcam bundle dash cam screen shot (2)

Ford F-150 think ware U1000 dashcam bundle ford accessories dash cam cable
Sponsored

Mauimaikai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 2.7 F-150 XLT 302a 4x4 SuperCrew
some one had mentioned the cable caused a dtc or issues when ford used the obd plug to run diagnostics in the shop
mine does not, Monday they used it to see the issue with the driver front tire pressure sensor failure
That was me. The mechanics claims were completely bogus. He said he hooked it back up and test drove it and a bunch of dtcs showed up. He never said if he was running diagnostics or how he determined it was causing dtcs and they also never even mentioned which dtcs. Pretty sure as soon as he saw it he just freaked out and unhooked it, then left the claim of suggesting I not use it. I had never had any issues before install or after install myself, no codes nothing.
I know their app interface leaves a lot to be desired though and the connection is slow, but it will actually allow you to store multiple network configurations even though it has no indication of doing so. I have mine set up so its on my home wifi while I'm home, then it will hook up to the truck or phone hot spot while driving

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
That was me. The mechanics claims were completely bogus. He said he hooked it back up and test drove it and a bunch of dtcs showed up. He never said if he was running diagnostics or how he determined it was causing dtcs and they also never even mentioned which dtcs. Pretty sure as soon as he saw it he just freaked out and unhooked it, then left the claim of suggesting I not use it. I had never had any issues before install or after install myself, no codes nothing.
I know their app interface leaves a lot to be desired though and the connection is slow, but it will actually allow you to store multiple network configurations even though it has no indication of doing so. I have mine set up so its on my home wifi while I'm home, then it will hook up to the truck or phone hot spot while driving
my dealer used a wireless communication device to talk to truck on first visit, that was pretty neat.
after tech fixed the sensor he plugged in the odb and cleared out codes and rest TP

how do you get it to see your home wifi? i would like this feature.
i am still learning all it can do.
i did download the memory card and watched boring driving video. it seem st play slow, . but if i zoomed in it played normal speed and the rear camera is not in sync with front, as it displays things i passed before the front recording plays it. could just be set up stuff.
its been really to hot to sit outside messing with it
and it gets REAL hot imo,

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I have the one Ford sold me with the truck.
my rear cam looks the same as yours, but the front one appears to be different—mine is mounted behind the mirror out of sight.
Now I’m having troubles getting in the set up mode.
Hail storm required windshield and roof replacemen, and the body shop did not remount as I have a windshield ceramic installed, and it had to cure for a bit.
The impact beep is a bit too sensitive for me—a little dip in the road invokes an incident recording

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
i had to turn off the VOICE prompts . it only speaks at first start.

so far so good.
still learning all it does.

Sponsored

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
last Tuesday while at the chiropractor, the camera detected a "person" door dinging the truck
i downloaded video and the elderly lady it caught doing it, looked to much like someones grandma so i ordered a PDR kit for 45 dollars and popped the dent out, i still have to pull door inner panel to smooth a very tiny tiny tiny left over part of dent. my local body shop wanted 200 to pull the dent and 50 for any others they found.
so we know it WORKS at telling on people

Ford F-150 think ware U1000 dashcam bundle before pull (5)

Ford F-150 think ware U1000 dashcam bundle after pull (1)

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
That stinks, do you have the perimeter plus to detect the movement or did the dashcam detect that?

Ford F-150 think ware U1000 dashcam bundle 1659449328438

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
That stinks, do you have the perimeter plus to detect the movement or did the dashcam detect that?

1659449328438.png
the think ware dash cam IMO is freaking very sensitive. it caught the smack down
it also gives me a crash alert on a section of bumpy road near my house
in the video you can actually see the truck wiggle a tiny bit.

there was just no way my moral compass would let me go after her insurance .
she is one of those eldery ladies, that reminds you of your own grandma,
i figured that would be one more day in purgatory if i filed a claim against her.

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost Sport Fx4
FYI, that in-line OBD dongle does not work with the PowerBoost with parking mode. I had a thread on that that I can find.

Edit: I can’t find that previous post. Weird. Anyway, the parking mode kept coming on while I was driving, which prompted me to find on a Thinkware site that the dongle won’t work with a hybrid. Contacted Thinkware and they confirmed. It should be listed on the ford site. I have opened a case but I’m not hopeful. Just changed it out myself and the hardwire kit works as it should.

Last edited:

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
the think ware dash cam IMO is freaking very sensitive. it caught the smack down
it also gives me a crash alert on a section of bumpy road near my house
in the video you can actually see the truck wiggle a tiny bit.

there was just no way my moral compass would let me go after her insurance .
she is one of those eldery ladies, that reminds you of your own grandma,
i figured that would be one more day in purgatory if i filed a claim against her.
Putting the squeeze on Grandma is a sure "fire" way to end up with a very hot eternity. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
FYI, that in-line OBD dongle does not work with the PowerBoost with parking mode. I had a thread on that that I can find.
that is weird, its the same OBD daisy chain ford has on the ford accessories website,
there was some notes in the packaging about phantom ignition pulses to keep the camera on alert, maybe the powerboost battery system plays a part. ford should be involved because they sell the part with no footnotes about powerboost
mine has the latching thing for phantom ignition pulse or cues. i will dig up the paper on it

found it

What’s included:

• OBD II Power Cable
  • IGN-3F Ignition Module
  • Installation Guide

*Not compatible with electric or hybrid vehicles. Should you wish to unlock Parking Mode functionality, install the dash cam using a THINKWARE Hardwiring Cable (sold separately or may be included in some dash cam bundles).

**Available on Select Dash Cams

NOTE: Not compatible with THINKWARE F790 and F550 Dash Cams

so on hybrid you have to use the hard wired cable. great catch (y)

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost Sport Fx4
@powerboatr , yeah, that’s what I’m saying. Maybe your post came before my edit. Just another example of how Ford’s one hand isn’t talking to the other. I’ll probably call about my case today. It’s not that much money but it’s just the principal that I specifically bought the cord kit because I wanted plug-and-play.
I don’t understand what it would be about the hybrid either. Seems like you could make a dongle that would work. By the way, if anybody with a conventional engine wants that dongle, I’ll send it to you for free.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
@powerboatr , yeah, that’s what I’m saying. Maybe your post came before my edit. Just another example of how Ford’s one hand isn’t talking to the other. I’ll probably call about my case today. It’s not that much money but it’s just the principal that I specifically bought the cord kit because I wanted plug-and-play.
I don’t understand what it would be about the hybrid either. Seems like you could make a dongle that would work. By the way, if anybody with a conventional engine wants that dongle, I’ll send it to you for free.
when i ordered my u1000 it came with 2 other power cables, the hard lined one and a cigar lighter plug in.
i had to order the dongle as a separate item.
i used the cigar lighter one as a project cord .
let me look around,

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
@powerboatr Is that text from a Thinkware page or from a Ford page?
the thinkware site
i will post the link if it helps
did ford put in your thinkware unit? i tried ordering the one they had at accessories website but it was not coming in and i foudn a the u1000 at thinkware for less money than the ford offered one and got the rear camera as a bonus
https://thinkwarestore.com/product/u1000-front-rear-dash-cam-bundle-w-radar-us/ its 589 now and got them for 300.

https://thinkwarestore.com/product/echomaster-obd-ii-power-cable-us/

https://thinkwarestore.com/product/double-fuse-hardwiring-cable-us/ my unit came with this one as well, in the box. i have to go look in loft to see where i put it
Sponsored