First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Supercab
Occupation
Engineer
Was it smoother because of the 6 speed or the engine?
The 6 speed has been programmed for fairly smooth shifts in the normal transmission mode. Obviously it doesn't have to deal with as much torque as with an EcoBoost or the V8, so maybe it can have slower shifts without danger of clutch damage. After the 1-2shift, all the shifts are clutch only, with the torque converter locked up. Both the 6 speed and 10 speed have been used with all the engines in various generations, it'd be interesting to compare them.

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
I’m looking to buy a F150. Read a couple places the 3.3 motor is light on power. I don’t like turbo motors, at least on passenger vehicles. Has anyone ever put a chip or programmer modification on their truck?
When I see posts like this I completely cringe... you realize that the stock 3.3 has more horsepower than any truck engine ever offered in an F150 prior to the 12th generation when the 5.0 and 3.5 EB were introduced... right?

Yeah, any engine. Somehow work got done. And this was with 3 speed auto's or 4 speed sticks with granny low... and much heavier trucks, put things in perspective there, hoss

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Now that this motor gets the 10-speed auto, I am very interested in seeing a review video or someone giving their experience in how this drives. With the 3.73 this is rated to tows 8,200 pounds according to the towing guide. It seems like a reasonable way to go. But I'm curious how it sounds and feels to drive.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...eneral/pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_F150_Dec3.pdf
8200 is too much for it. We have a 4x4 screw XL work truck with the NA V6 and it’s very serviceable until it’s time to tow, then we use the 2wd V8 Silverado or the Expedition

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum SCrew, Smoked Quartz, 701a, FX4
I think that someone should properly acknowledge this fine engine and bid it a good retirement. The last NA V-6 to ever be produced by Ford.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I think that someone should properly acknowledge this fine engine and bid it a good retirement. The last NA V-6 to ever be produced by Ford.
I will not part with my 2012 F150 until it dies and can't be revived. That base 300HP NA V6 has been flawless and still runs/purrs like it did the day I purchased it.

I have a 2017 Transit 350 with the NA V6. Now with 190,000 miles. The 6R80 is getting a little tired, but the motor is still sweet.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
It’s just so good at most things you actually need to do with zero fuss. 🥲

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
I too will miss this little sweetheart of an engine. It pairs very nicely with the 10sp and 3.73. It’s never going to win any races at the stoplights, but it’s more than adequate to keep up with traffic, even when loaded. I haul 1200-1500lbs of payload in my truck everyday for work, and average 60k+miles per year. All it asks is for you to push the throttle pedal a little further than one of the other engine options. If you’ve ever had a truck from the late 90’s-00’s it’s performance is almost identical, and people still managed to get work done back then 🤠

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
I've said time and again if I could get Platinums in other configs I would.
The 2.7l EB Plat would be a nice setup.
Drive around town in luxury but still have enough guts to drag my boat and Jet Skis out to the lake.

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
I've said time and again if I could get Platinums in other configs I would.
The 2.7l EB Plat would be a nice setup.
Drive around town in luxury but still have enough guts to drag my boat and Jet Skis out to the lake.
I agree, Ford has been weird with the way they have been marketing their engines for the past few years. I think the 3.0 PowerStroke was a prime example

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I got a 4.0L Cologne V6 to 230k miles (until it was killed by Austin drivers...she had more miles in her....RIP Exploder), which is the spiritual ancestor of the 3.3L. They are workhorse engines that will last a long time. My issue with the 3.3L is that it, like all NA engines, is tossing useful energy out the tailpipe that a turbo could've extracted. Even when the wastegate is mostly open, the Ecoboost turbo(s) can still provide just enough pressure to overcome pumping and throttle losses. In terms of the end result, the difference is fairly small, but that's an issue with the PB being massively overpowered for a half ton truck frame.

The best you can do (in terms of efficiency and power density) with a piston internal combustion engine is the Napier Deltic. A Napier Deltic with turbocharging, a steam bottoming cycle, and ideally made from carbon and ceramic is about the apex of what the physics will allow. That's leveraged further if the engine can run at its best efficiency point because it just generates electrons for the wheel motors. If that's the mountain top, then every step away from it is a loss in terms of power, efficiency, or both. The Ecoboost is a step closer than the NA Coyote and Cyclone.

The firearm wasn't decisively better than the bow and arrow until the 1870s. Sometimes part of the reason for preferring one technology over another isn't the immediate benefit, but the vastly greater potential. I want a truck with the torque specs of the Lightning, a 45 MPG combined efficiency rating and 1500 mile range on a 36 gallon tank. I have yet to see any convincing argument why that truck could not be mass produced in 2 years time, but I do not make that decision. Therefore, I will not only take but also encourage others to take any action which brings that outcome closer. In this case, that's encouraging Ford to keep moving with the mass utilization of hybrid powertrains, direct injection and turbocharging: It is just one step, but it is a step.

That's a bit broad, but I hope that it makes sense.

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
Figured I'd toss my hat in on this one too. 22 XL RCSB 2WD 3.3 V6 with 3.55 rear end. The 10 speed makes a huge difference in how well the truck drives. I would imagine maybe with the old 6 speed it might be a little "slow", but to be honest with the 10 speed it feels plenty quick. It might be the "boring" option engine wise, but they're very reliable, and it's nice feeding it E-85 and going 300+ miles on a tank for about 35 bucks.

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Figured I'd toss my hat in on this one too. 22 XL RCSB 2WD 3.3 V6 with 3.55 rear end. The 10 speed makes a huge difference in how well the truck drives. I would imagine maybe with the old 6 speed it might be a little "slow", but to be honest with the 10 speed it feels plenty quick. It might be the "boring" option engine wise, but they're very reliable, and it's nice feeding it E-85 and going 300+ miles on a tank for about 35 bucks.
I’ve never tried E-85 in mine, how’s the mileage difference?

It’s not really available locally to me

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
I’ve never tried E-85 in mine, how’s the mileage difference?

It’s not really available locally to me
Fuel economy goes down like 25% or so, but in IA E-85 is usually a dollar a gallon (or more) cheaper than E-10, and like half the price of premium.

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Fuel economy goes down like 25% or so, but in IA E-85 is usually a dollar a gallon (or more) cheaper than E-10, and like half the price of premium.
Oh nice, that’s a big cost difference per gallon, definitely seems worth the hit in mileage.
Sponsored