The Tried & True Workhorse ? - 3.3 V6

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Putting out a solid 295 horsepower and 265 pound feet of torque, the 2021 Ford F-150’s 3.3 liter naturally aspirated V6 is the base engine and the workhorse of the lineup.

Fleet, rentals, and small businessmen and women alike will probably make up the majority of the take rate for this engine.

As long as the F150gen14 forum has been up, this engine has been easily overlooked by the more powerful and intriguing EcoBoosts and PowerBoosts. I figured I’d get this thread going to show it some love!

Ford F-150 The Tried & True Workhorse ? - 3.3 V6 C8EA7D1F-22E8-446E-AFAE-251D5EC037BA

What do you all think of this engine? Does anyone have this engine on their build?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Underrated engine it really deserve more attention. I really wish Ford would offer more agressive gearing than the 3.73:1 a 4.10:1 would do good with this engine.
That would be a sweet combo, especially in a single cab.

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Passport
OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Now that this motor gets the 10-speed auto, I am very interested in seeing a review video or someone giving their experience in how this drives. With the 3.73 this is rated to tows 8,200 pounds according to the towing guide. It seems like a reasonable way to go. But I'm curious how it sounds and feels to drive.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...eneral/pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_F150_Dec3.pdf

Here is a quick article and video review of the Ford 3.3L V6 from TFL Truck

https://tfltruck.com/2017/08/all-ne...able-2018-ford-f150-first-drive-review-video/

Granted, it’s a 2018 with the six speed transmission, but you can still get an idea as to how it sounds. Since the F-150 rollout has been painfully slow, I’ll doubt we’ll see a Gen14 3.3L V6 review for several weeks if not months.

Sponsored

FordGreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 SC 4x4 185000 miles sold.
Occupation
Retired
Yes, searched and searched but very little on the 3.3L. Seems to be the engine to have for
least amount of trouble as the years pass although I believe this is the first year they gave it
the 10 speed AT. Have to see how this pair holds up next couple of years.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, searched and searched but very little on the 3.3L. Seems to be the engine to have for
least amount of trouble as the years pass although I believe this is the first year they gave it
the 10 speed AT. Have to see how this pair holds up next couple of years.

Good call. I believe you are correct on the 2021 F-150 being the first application where the 3.3L V6 is paired with the ten speed transmission.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
IMO, the 3.3 should have also been offered with the Powerboost as an option.

The HP is more than enough on the 3.3 but it falls short on torque and it would benefit the most from the Powerboost treatment.

I would be less leery about an electric motor stuffed into a transmission than twin turbos. If Powerboost is so game changing, why not offer it on the weakest engine in the lineup to showcase its potential?

sp468

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have this engine in my 2021 regular cab with the 3.73 gears. In everyday driving it’s been great, plenty of power. However I bought it mainly to pull my new travel trailer (4600 lbs empty) and while the specs say it should pull it easily I knew immediately driving the trailer home from the dealer the 3.3 engine wasn’t going to cut it. On flat roads no problem but it struggled on any grade. The next week I traded it in for a supercab with the 5.0 V8. That truck should be here within the next week.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IMO, the 3.3 should have also been offered with the Powerboost as an option.

The HP is more than enough on the 3.3 but it falls short on torque and it would benefit the most from the Powerboost treatment.

I would be less leery about an electric motor stuffed into a transmission than twin turbos. If Powerboost is so game changing, why not offer it on the weakest engine in the lineup to showcase its potential?

IT’S ALL ABOUT DA MONEY!!!! ? ?

The 3.5 EcoBoost is one of their most popular engines across the entire Ford lineup, and FoMoCo has been marketing it as such for over a decade.

I know Ford says it’s committed to hybrid and EV technology but the PowerBoost and Lightning ⚡ F-150s are Ford’s way of “testing the waters” so to speak to see if the customers, and the revenue are there to make a reasonable profit. If these two models sell overly well, Ford will probably expand the technology to less popular models.

Sponsored

Mathmatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4 runner
I would b
I have this engine in my 2021 regular cab with the 3.73 gears. In everyday driving it’s been great, plenty of power. However I bought it mainly to pull my new travel trailer (4600 lbs empty) and while the specs say it should pull it easily I knew immediately driving the trailer home from the dealer the 3.3 engine wasn’t going to cut it. On flat roads no problem but it struggled on any grade. The next week I traded it in for a supercab with the 5.0 V8. That truck should be here within the next week.
What kind of gas millage you are getting empty and towing? Could you do a video of « towing performance » with the 3.3? Thanks!

sp468

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I would b

What kind of gas millage you are getting empty and towing? Could you do a video of « towing performance » with the 3.3? Thanks!
I‘m averaging about 24 mpg empty and 10-12 mpg while towing

FordGreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Tough call on the 3.3L when the 2.7 is incentivized and also opens up the payload package to get the 9.75 rear differential. Almost like getting the 2.7 for free with what you can get the HD payload package for and get it's add ons.

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Tough call on the 3.3L when the 2.7 is incentivized and also opens up the payload package to get the 9.75 rear differential. Almost like getting the 2.7 for free with what you can get the HD payload package for and get it's add ons.

What's the advantage of the 9.75 rear and do you give up anything getting it?

FordGreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
It's much more heavy duty than I think the 8.5"(?) I had a 2004 F150 SC with that package and the 5.4L (what an ordeal that motor was). It was a solid truck and felt heavy duty. On this gen F150 here is the list from the configurator:

2.7L V6 EcoBoost® Payload Package
$750

Available on XL and XLT.

Requires:
• 2.7L V6 EcoBoost® Engine
• Trailer Tow Package

Includes:
• 3.73 Electronic-Locking Rear-Axle
• 9.75" Gearset

Not Available With:
• 122” Wheelbase
• Class IV Trailer Hitch and Max Trailer Tow Package

Well worth it if you go for the 2.7L. There may be a few little things also they put in there
that are not listed but for $750 retail, probably around 675 after overall price reductions
it's quite a purchase. The only thing is the cost of the required tow package which is not the
max package, is weird because not sure what's included (maybe HD bumper, etc..). That
seems out of whack for $1000.
Sponsored