The problem with long distance purchasing

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
I canceled my ordered truck as its stuck on a microchip hold and ended up making a 12 hour round trip drive to purchase a truck with similar specs. Truck looked great in the bright sun and naturally my brain was fried over the whole thing because long drive, long ordeal, check for this and that, etc. When I got it under my shop lighting a couple days later, I notice that the clear coat is lightly swirled on the entire truck and I have a silver dollar sized bird dropping stain on the hood that I completely missed seeing before. This truck sat outside on a microchip hold for 5 months, and I know this is a all a product of that, and then somebody doing some sloppy prep work with dirty rags before it shipped, or even possibly at the dealership.

I figure this will turn out to be money out of my pocket one way or another to get it right, and probably another ordeal, but it will drive me insane if I don't get it corrected. Waiting to hear back from the long distance dealership to see if I can have this fixed under warranty at another Ford store, or at least partially compensate me to have paint correction done at a reputable shop. There are definitely drawbacks to buying a truck that sat outside all summer unprotected, and part of the gamble of buying something long distance.
Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I canceled my ordered truck as its stuck on a microchip hold and ended up making a 12 hour round trip drive to purchase a truck with similar specs. Truck looked great in the bright sun and naturally my brain was fried over the whole thing because long drive, long ordeal, check for this and that, etc. When I got it under my shop lighting a couple days later, I notice that the clear coat is lightly swirled on the entire truck and I have a silver dollar sized bird dropping stain on the hood that I completely missed seeing before. This truck sat outside on a microchip hold for 5 months, and I know this is a all a product of that, and then somebody doing some sloppy prep work with dirty rags before it shipped, or even possibly at the dealership.

I figure this will turn out to be money out of my pocket one way or another to get it right, and probably another ordeal, but it will drive me insane if I don't get it corrected. Waiting to hear back from the long distance dealership to see if I can have this fixed under warranty at another Ford store, or at least partially compensate me to have paint correction done at a reputable shop. There are definitely drawbacks to buying a truck that sat outside all summer unprotected, and part of the gamble of buying something long distance.
@Jloyd98 -

‘Sorry to hear this. I fears this might happen so I cancelled my own order back in May. (Truck had already sat 2 months with many to go). I went on a broad search and found a pre-delivery F-150 in my preferred spec and color (Platinum Crewcab Powerboost in SQ, Special Black inter., FX pkg). I flew from Boston to Charlotte, bought it, and drove it home. All good!

Hopefully these minor Clearcoat problems you’re experiencing are the only issues. The good news is that they should easily correctable with a polishing by a reputable paint shop. If you were planning to apply a paint protection, your Detailer should be able to do this as part of their prep work (for a fee of course). If you’re feeling confident, you could do what I did and polish/ceramic coat it yourself. ?

Best of luck in negotiating with your Dealer! Keep us posted!

Kevin.

OP
OP
Jloyd98

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
‘Sorry to hear this. I fears this might happen so I cancelled my own order back in May. (Truck had already sat 2 months with many to go). I went on a broad search and found a pre-delivery F-150 in my preferred spec and color (Platinum Crewcab Powerboost in SQ, Special Black inter., FX pkg). I flew from Boston to Charlotte, bought it, and drove it home. All good!

Hopefully these minor Clearcoat problems you’re experiencing are the only issues. The good news is that they should easily correctable with a polishing by a reputable paint shop. If you were planning to apply a paint protection, your Detailer should be able to do this as part of their prep work (for a fee of course). If you’re feeling confident, you could do what I did and polish/ceramic coat it yourself. ?

Best of luck in negotiating with your Dealer! Keep us posted!
Thanks, Kevin. I am happy that you found a good one and you're enjoying it! I lost some sleep over this last night, and still haven't heard from the dealer. I also haven't left my review yet, and that will be determined after all of this. I'll update when I hear something.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Dang man, sorry to hear you’re dealing with that. I was following your journey through a few threads. The pics you posted looked great. Hopefully this dealer does the right thing and helps you out one way or another with this.
Sponsored