First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum Powerstroke
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
Hey y’all. Starting a build thread of my ’21 F150 Platinum with 3.0L PS - The “Midnight Platinum”.

It took me a long time to find a 3.0L PS in Platinum trim for 2021, which is the last year Ford produced the baby powerstroke diesel engines for F150. I hope they bring this engine back, it’s a great engine.

I first found the truck on AutoTrader in FL but I didn’t buy it right away… I wasn’t ready to buy at the time. Months go by, and I was surprised to see this still for sale online considering how rare it is for a few reasons (Last 3.0L PS, Platinum trim, fully optioned, 6.5’ bed, BC, etc.).

Started talking to the guy, who owned an auto export business in Florida. His company purchased this truck for a customer in UK who did not follow through on their end. We came to an agreement on price, paid him, and it was on the carrier on its way to me in a matter of few days - arrived middle of Dec 2022.

When I first got this truck, I plan on keeping it forever. At least until Ford brings back the diesel for F150’s, then maybe upgrade.

Here she is straight off the delivery truck.

Ford F-150 The Midnight Platinum Build by DK • 2021 Ford F150 Platinum with 3.0L Powerstroke Diesel tempImagedAbuG4

Dec 2022:
- Window Tint
- Stubby Antenna

First thing’s first, window tint & stubby antenna. Being in AZ, window tint is a must - especially for 110*F+ summer days and for privacy. I cannot stand the 10 foot antenna pole sticking out from my truck… I am not trying to talk to the aliens. As you can see, I took it off right away before taking pictures, lol.

Ford F-150 The Midnight Platinum Build by DK • 2021 Ford F150 Platinum with 3.0L Powerstroke Diesel IMG_3907

Jan 2023:
- RetraxPRO XR Tonneau Cover

Next mod after this was the retractable tonneau cover - I opted for the RetraxPRO XR from @Realtruck. Expensive but definitely worth the money if keeping the truck for the long haul. I spent extra couple hundred dollars for the PRO XR version in case I want to add cross bars on the tracks.

Ford F-150 The Midnight Platinum Build by DK • 2021 Ford F150 Platinum with 3.0L Powerstroke Diesel IMG_5049

Ford F-150 The Midnight Platinum Build by DK • 2021 Ford F150 Platinum with 3.0L Powerstroke Diesel IMG_5050

MAY 2024:
- Eibach Pro Stage 2R Leveling Kit with ReadyLift Tubular UCA's
- Shelby CS45 Wheels & 35” Falken AT4 tires

These mods are way overdue - I can’t believe I drove 22,000+ miles before doing this. Should’ve done this way sooner than later but here we are. Now it’s a TRUCK. This is my first time leveling / lifting a truck. The leveling kit part took me a long time to find the right one - my biggest issue was finding a kit that is compatible with my heavy 3.0L PS engine (2nd heaviest after PowerBoost for MY2021). I did a ton of research on this and relied heavily on a local shop that specializes this and reading your advice & suggestions from my threads on here (thank you fellas).

I am really liking the Eibach kit set up - it drives much smoother, less roll, and handles speed bumps with ease. For the price, I would definitely recommend it. My other choice would have been ICONS, which would have been an overkill and a lot more $$.

So far I am liking the Falken’s AT4. This is my first AT tires on a truck so I am not the best person to ask for comparison of other tires. My sales guy said this is what he runs and recommended them so that’s what I went with. It drives great, smooth, and not too noisy. Did not cut nor trim anything. It is really close to the crash bars - will rub at full lock when turning.

Ford F-150 The Midnight Platinum Build by DK • 2021 Ford F150 Platinum with 3.0L Powerstroke Diesel IMG_1740

MODS TO COME (not in order):
- OEM Raptor Overhead Console Upfitter Switches
- Under Bumper Rear Reverse LED Lights
- Ranch Hand Grill Guard
- BlackVue Dashcam F+R
- Remove FX4
- Bushwacker Extend-a-Fender Flares

Looking forward to continue modding this truck as we go, and when I have money to do so lol. Stay tuned for more updates!

Enjoy.

-DK
Sponsored

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
Post 2 (saving for future updates).

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
Post 3 (saving for future updates).

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hey y’all. Starting a build thread of my ’21 F150 Platinum with 3.0L PS - The “Midnight Platinum”.

It took me a long time to find a 3.0L PS in Platinum trim for 2021, which is the last year Ford produced the baby powerstroke diesel engines for F150. I hope they bring this engine back, it’s a great engine.

I first found the truck on AutoTrader in FL but I didn’t buy it right away… I wasn’t ready to buy at the time. Months go by, and I was surprised to see this still for sale online considering how rare it is for a few reasons (Last 3.0L PS, Platinum trim, fully optioned, 6.5’ bed, BC, etc.).

Started talking to the guy, who owned an auto export business in Florida. His company purchased this truck for a customer in UK who did not follow through on their end. We came to an agreement on price, paid him, and it was on the carrier on its way to me in a matter of few days - arrived middle of Dec 2022.

When I first got this truck, I plan on keeping it forever. At least until Ford brings back the diesel for F150’s, then maybe upgrade.

tempImagedAbuG4.png

Dec 2022:
- Window Tint
- Stubby Antenna

First thing’s first, window tint & stubby antenna. Being in AZ, window tint is a must - especially for 110*F+ summer days and for privacy. I cannot stand the 10 foot antenna pole sticking out from my truck… I am not trying to talk to the aliens. As you can see, I took it off right away before taking pictures, lol.

IMG_3907.jpg

Jan 2023:

Next mod after this was the retractable tonneau cover - I opted for the RetraxPRO XR from @Realtruck. Expensive but definitely worth the money if keeping the truck for the long haul. I spent extra couple hundred dollars for the PRO XR version in case I want to add cross bars on the tracks.

IMG_5049.jpg

IMG_5050.jpg

MAY 2024:

These mods are way overdue - I can’t believe I drove 22,000+ miles before doing this. Should’ve done this way sooner than later but here we are. Now it’s a TRUCK. This is my first time leveling / lifting a truck. The leveling kit part took me a long time to find the right one - my biggest issue was finding a kit that is compatible with my heavy 3.0L PS engine (2nd heaviest after PowerBoost for MY2021). I did a ton of research on this and relied heavily on a local shop that specializes this and reading your advice & suggestions from my threads on here (thank you fellas).

I am really liking the Eibach kit set up - it drives much smoother, less roll, and handles speed bumps with ease. For the price, I would definitely recommend it. My other choice would have been ICONS, which would have been an overkill and a lot more $$.

So far I am liking the Falken’s AT4. This is my first AT tires on a truck so I am not the best person to ask for comparison of other tires. My sales guy said this is what he runs and recommended them so that’s what I went with. It drives great, smooth, and not too noisy. Did not cut nor trim anything. It is really close to the crash bars - will rub at full lock when turning.

IMG_1740.jpeg

- Ranch Hand Grill Guard
- BlackVue Dashcam F+R
- Remove FX4

Looking forward to continue modding this truck as we go, and when I have money to do so lol. Stay tuned for more updates!

Enjoy.

-DK
We're loving your build so far, we can't wait to see the final product!

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
I am by no means an expert but I don't think Ford will be bringing back the diesel in the F-150.
The way diesel prices are currently with no change in the future as well as the additional DEF cost I can't see the practicality. And maybe why the UK purchaser backed out.
The EcoBoost has been such a champion of an engine I can't see it having any other competition than the Coyote.
We had (and maybe still have) a 3.0 sitting on a local lot for well over a year. I can't recall all of the specs but I know it had about 12,000 miles on it.
Anyway the truck still looks nice and looking forward to more pictures and upgrades

Sponsored

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

tempImagedAbuG4.png

Dec 2022:
- Window Tint
- Stubby Antenna

IMG_3907.jpg

Jan 2023:

IMG_5049.jpg

IMG_5050.jpg

MAY 2024:

IMG_1740.jpeg

- Ranch Hand Grill Guard
- BlackVue Dashcam F+R
- Remove FX4

Enjoy.

-DK
Looking great!

Realtruck

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Realtruck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning

tempImagedAbuG4.png

Dec 2022:
- Window Tint
- Stubby Antenna

IMG_3907.jpg

Jan 2023:

IMG_5049.jpg

IMG_5050.jpg

MAY 2024:

IMG_1740.jpeg

- Ranch Hand Grill Guard
- BlackVue Dashcam F+R
- Remove FX4

Enjoy.

-DK
It's coming along brilliantly!

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost
Good luck… my 2018 3.0 powerstroke left me on the side of the road 3 times in the first 30k miles. I had enough when I had to finish a road trip in limp mode at 50 mph for 250 miles in the middle of the night.

It was pretty clear even then Ford wasn’t committed to the product. So when i limped into the out of town dealer service department and saw a new 2021 ecoboost sitting there… was a pretty quick deal… as much as I wanted to love the diesel

Ford F-150 The Midnight Platinum Build by DK • 2021 Ford F150 Platinum with 3.0L Powerstroke Diesel IMG_1763

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
We're loving your build so far, we can't wait to see the final product!
Thank you! It’ll be worth it. I hope you guys bring back the 3.0L PS engine someday for US, it’s been a great engine.

-DK

I am by no means an expert but I don't think Ford will be bringing back the diesel in the F-150.
The way diesel prices are currently with no change in the future as well as the additional DEF cost I can't see the practicality. And maybe why the UK purchaser backed out.
The EcoBoost has been such a champion of an engine I can't see it having any other competition than the Coyote.
We had (and maybe still have) a 3.0 sitting on a local lot for well over a year. I can't recall all of the specs but I know it had about 12,000 miles on it.
Anyway the truck still looks nice and looking forward to more pictures and upgrades
You never know. Every engine / fuel type has its pros & cons. For me, I like diesels because if you take care of it and stay on top of maintenance, generally it will last you a long time. I’ve had this truck since 54 miles and have been on top of the maintenance. I don't understand why people kept saying DEF cost is a big deal or a deal breaker - it’s easy to do yourself and not terribly expensive. Sure it is another expense, but not outrageously. Of course, I wish the EPA / politics didn’t step in and added all these ridiculous stuff to diesel trucks.

This is my opinion - in the beginning, I don’t think it was marketed well enough to the consumers that a diesel is an option on F150 trucks. I’m the perfect example... I didn’t know when I started researching for a truck in 2022 and I’m a huge car guy, especially Fords. A lot of people were surprised when I tell them my F150 is a diesel. I believe that’s why the consumer doesn’t know it’s an option and even if they did, they don’t know much about them. That’s my take on it.

I could be wrong but I believe Ford is still making 3.0L PS engine for UK / Europe so I doubt that’s why the purchaser backed out. It’s possible he didn’t have the funds or just not fully committed to the deal.

-DK

Good luck… my 2018 3.0 powerstroke left me on the side of the road 3 times in the first 30k miles. I had enough when I had to finish a road trip in limp mode at 50 mph for 250 miles in the middle of the night.

It was pretty clear even then Ford wasn’t committed to the product. So when i limped into the out of town dealer service department and saw a new 2021 ecoboost sitting there… was a pretty quick deal… as much as I wanted to love the diesel
Just crossed 23,000 miles on the clock today and knock on wood, no problems. It’s been a great engine and does great on long road trips. You might have gotten unlucky with that truck. Good thing my powertrain warranty is through until Nov 2026 I believe.

-DK

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I would pay no attention to those who speak negatively about the 3.0 powerstroke. I have 2 of the 3.5 EB engines and 2 of the 3.0 powerstrokes between 4 trucks. The 3.0 isnt as quick but it can tow just as much with twice the efficiency (real world). Both of my ecoboost engines has reliability issues while my powerstroke engines were trouble free. The last one I owned I sold to my brother in law who is coming up on 50k. Its been good to him too and he loves it. If i was a betting man, id choose the diesel to reach 150k issue free over the ecoboost.

That being said, sick build!

Use forscan to unlock the additional menu items related to the diesel (you can find tutorials on how to do it). Also, use forscan to set the DRL's to max brightness AND change the settings on the rear lights so they are always on along with the front DRL's.

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
I would pay no attention to those who speak negatively about the 3.0 powerstroke. I have 2 of the 3.5 EB engines and 2 of the 3.0 powerstrokes between 4 trucks. The 3.0 isnt as quick but it can tow just as much with twice the efficiency (real world). Both of my ecoboost engines has reliability issues while my powerstroke engines were trouble free. The last one I owned I sold to my brother in law who is coming up on 50k. Its been good to him too and he loves it. If i was a betting man, id choose the diesel to reach 150k issue free over the ecoboost.

That being said, sick build!

Use forscan to unlock the additional menu items related to the diesel (you can find tutorials on how to do it). Also, use forscan to set the DRL's to max brightness AND change the settings on the rear lights so they are always on along with the front DRL's.
For sure, I know many people have doubts about the baby powerstroke (and the future of these engines) but I don’t let it bother me. I didn’t buy the 3.0 to be quick (I already have a sports car for that) - I bought it for anything I need it to do. The only thing it can’t do is tow something like a heavy 5th wheeler or heavy duty machinery - that’s for the Super Duty trucks. I don’t do either so this is perfect for me.

Thanks! I am looking forward to this build, I think the end product will be pretty unique. Got a couple things in the works over the next few weeks. I definitely want to do some Forscan stuff, I have the computer but it needs to be fixed first. :rolleyes: What other features do you recommend?

I thought the rear lights are always on along with front DRLs… not the case? I will be getting Raptor tails hopefully in the next month or so.

-DK
Sponsored