• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

texastrucker

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Marketing
This rules.

The Ford F-150 Lightning Will Be Able to Charge Other Lightnings
Vehicle-to-vehicle charging has been a white whale for EVs, but Ford says it's figured it out.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43203/the-ford-f-150-lightning-will-be-able-to-charge-other-lightnings

Jerry Perez November 19, 2021

Ford F-150 Lightning The Ford F-150 Lightning Can Do Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging! lightning-chargin

In conversation with the truck's chief engineer Linda Zhang at the 2021 Los Angeles Auto Show, we learned about the lengthy process Ford went through to squeeze the most performance and practicality out of its upcoming pickup. One of those key traits revolves around the truck's ability to act as a rolling battery and power generator, which allows it to share its electric charge with other devices—which up until recently we knew could be anything from camping gear to an entire house. Now, it turns out the Lightning will have vehicle-to-vehicle charging capabilities via its main charging port.

Zhang explained that the idea really spawned from the success of the current hybrid F-150 PowerBoost, which can use its onboard generator to power a variety of external devices, including an entire home if the home is equipped with an inverter (as we've explained before).

"We have a battery system that you can pull electricity from, in this case, 9.6 kilowatts of power via 22 different outlets around the truck; 220v, 110v, USB, and 12v. As we thought about this Pro Power Onboard technology and we heard from people who were using it [in the hybrid F-150] to back up their refrigerators and homes during power outages, we developed the theme more [in the Lightning]," Zhang added. "We ended up with something called Intelligent Backup Power. It uses the Lightning's actual charging port on the side of the truck, where you plug it in to charge, to do bidirectional power transfer with the extended range batteries, turning the truck into a mobile backup generator on wheels for an entire home ecosystem paired with a home inverter."

Going one step further and having the ability to share a charge with another compatible EV is really quite the breakthrough, even if for now it's limited to the same make and model. Some smartphones are already able to share a battery charge with other compatible smartphones, and Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe told this very outlet back in 2019 that his company was planning V2V charging for the R1T, though that tech didn't make it into the production model launched this fall.

Being able to help a fellow Ford owner because they don't have enough charge to make it to their destination is important (and will surely help with range anxiety), but I believe the real advantage to this technology will play out in fleet and/or commercial applications. Being able to top off trucks in the field and essentially shuffle power around to vehicles that need it can be extremely attractive to companies that manage hundreds or thousands of vehicles in construction, mining, utility, and other industries that rely heavily on trucks.

Zhang did not elaborate on when this capability would extend to other Ford vehicles, but given that the necessary changes involve hardware and software, it will likely be a bit. For now, however, potential Lightning owners can rest easy knowing that if they're ever in a tough spot, all it takes is another friendly Lightning driver to get them out.
Sponsored

Bippers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Thunderbird 2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
At last the discovery of infinite power has been realized! But that is very interesting from a fleet perspective if you had a truck on the lot that had a mechanical issue with a fully battery and one that was fine with a dead battery I could see you using the broken down one as an emergency charger.

Mach N Cheese

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Analyst
At last the discovery of infinite power has been realized! But that is very interesting from a fleet perspective if you had a truck on the lot that had a mechanical issue with a fully battery and one that was fine with a dead battery I could see you using the broken down one as an emergency charger.
Another reason to hide my Lightning from my friends. I've been the "friend with a truck" before and I don't want to become the "friend with a truck and a mobile charger". I don't want any 2am calls, "Hey dude, my Tesla ran out of juice..." :p

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Great! Now so have my business Idea and can get some Pros with Extended Range…..

Mobile EV Recharge …”Run out of juice? Give us a Call”

1-800-RECharg that’s 1-800-RECharg

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
Great! Now so have my business Idea and can get some Pros with Extended Range…..

Mobile EV Recharge …”Run out of juice? Give us a Call”

1-800-RECharg that’s 1-800-RECharg
"Call Mr. Recharge, that's my name. That name again is Mr. Recharge."

Ford F-150 Lightning The Ford F-150 Lightning Can Do Vehicle-to-Vehicle Charging! 1637352487946

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Not an overly practical feature unless one has a fleet I'd think. Maybe there is a F150 EV app that shows the locations of others nearby like those kids use for you know what.

The cord is available on Ford parts direct for $4,387.52 No, I have no idea.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Can someone explain how this is different form plugging in to 110 or 220 AC plug in back of Lightning or IONIQ5? Is this DC? is it faster?

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
"We are [working on] a vehicle-to-vehicle system," Zhang told The Drive. "[Charging other EVs] is going to be dependent on the power cord"

I'd assume that means DC.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
If this feature is DC charging that will be absolutely amazing. I have an electric motorcycle that has a CCS1 port for 25kW DC fast charging so this will come in handy.

Edit: Blah, it says that this feature will start off for sharing with other Lightnings. I hope they expand this!

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Not sure why the limitations of the vehicle but maybe it's they way the handshake works between V2V. Maybe no standard yet.

WestcoastLifer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/a
Occupation
Net Zero homebuilder
Not sure why the limitations of the vehicle but maybe it's they way the handshake works between V2V. Maybe no standard yet.
Bingo

they have said they expect to build out all Ford to Ford charging. So in time it will be every vehicle to vehicle...

If anyone remembers how long vhs vs beta played out be aware the standards get worked out faster these days :cool:

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
This feature may help explain the reason for the onboard charger power OUTPUT being listed on the specs page (10.5kW for SR and 17.6kW for the ER). The original thought was that value might relate to the home backup output but that is 1) indicated to be limited to 9.6kW and 2) "rumored" to be powered via tap into the HV DC of the battery - not using the onboard bidirectional charger.

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
This rules.

The Ford F-150 Lightning Will Be Able to Charge Other Lightnings
Vehicle-to-vehicle charging has been a white whale for EVs, but Ford says it's figured it out.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43203/the-ford-f-150-lightning-will-be-able-to-charge-other-lightnings

Jerry Perez November 19, 2021

lightning-charging.jpg

In conversation with the truck's chief engineer Linda Zhang at the 2021 Los Angeles Auto Show, we learned about the lengthy process Ford went through to squeeze the most performance and practicality out of its upcoming pickup. One of those key traits revolves around the truck's ability to act as a rolling battery and power generator, which allows it to share its electric charge with other devices—which up until recently we knew could be anything from camping gear to an entire house. Now, it turns out the Lightning will have vehicle-to-vehicle charging capabilities via its main charging port.

Zhang explained that the idea really spawned from the success of the current hybrid F-150 PowerBoost, which can use its onboard generator to power a variety of external devices, including an entire home if the home is equipped with an inverter (as we've explained before).

"We have a battery system that you can pull electricity from, in this case, 9.6 kilowatts of power via 22 different outlets around the truck; 220v, 110v, USB, and 12v. As we thought about this Pro Power Onboard technology and we heard from people who were using it [in the hybrid F-150] to back up their refrigerators and homes during power outages, we developed the theme more [in the Lightning]," Zhang added. "We ended up with something called Intelligent Backup Power. It uses the Lightning's actual charging port on the side of the truck, where you plug it in to charge, to do bidirectional power transfer with the extended range batteries, turning the truck into a mobile backup generator on wheels for an entire home ecosystem paired with a home inverter."

Going one step further and having the ability to share a charge with another compatible EV is really quite the breakthrough, even if for now it's limited to the same make and model. Some smartphones are already able to share a battery charge with other compatible smartphones, and Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe told this very outlet back in 2019 that his company was planning V2V charging for the R1T, though that tech didn't make it into the production model launched this fall.

Being able to help a fellow Ford owner because they don't have enough charge to make it to their destination is important (and will surely help with range anxiety), but I believe the real advantage to this technology will play out in fleet and/or commercial applications. Being able to top off trucks in the field and essentially shuffle power around to vehicles that need it can be extremely attractive to companies that manage hundreds or thousands of vehicles in construction, mining, utility, and other industries that rely heavily on trucks.

Zhang did not elaborate on when this capability would extend to other Ford vehicles, but given that the necessary changes involve hardware and software, it will likely be a bit. For now, however, potential Lightning owners can rest easy knowing that if they're ever in a tough spot, all it takes is another friendly Lightning driver to get them out.
I don’t get it. Sounds like a way to have two trucks with diminished batteries. Similarly to the home charging ability of the lightning, sounds like a way to have a dead truck battery and no power at the house

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I don’t get it. Sounds like a way to have two trucks with diminished batteries. Similarly to the home charging ability of the lightning, sounds like a way to have a dead truck battery and no power at the house
It is a rescue function. If you have a dead truck you can bring over a charged one to transfer some energy to get the dead truck to the closest charger.

For the home backup, you can set a cutoff range for the truck to maintain to ensure you don't have a dead truck.
Sponsored