• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
A lot less than heat, but not zero. A/C does consume power.
It would be similar if ford offered a heat pump! huge oversight by ford to only offer resistance heating.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
There’s already been so much hyperbole on both sides of the heat pump debate that I refuse to participate any more.
Certainly will be fixed by 2025.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Given that many will have to keep it outside due to the size of the truck, I wonder will the preconditioning setting effectively remove frost and fog that occurs overnight? If I’m reading the MME manual correctly- think yes, or if not, you can remote start the truck while still plugged in to have it defrost via the charger not the battery.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Given that many will have to keep it outside due to the size of the truck, I wonder will the preconditioning setting effectively remove frost and fog that occurs overnight? If I’m reading the MME manual correctly- think yes, or if not, you can remote start the truck while still plugged in to have it defrost via the charger not the battery.
As a Mach-e owner, yes, preconditioning does a good job of that - to a limit. It won't melt off a foot of snow that you got overnight, but easily takes care of the typical frost / fog. Remote start does a good job as well, but not as good as preconditioning with a planned departure time.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Of course, the optimum solutions are having a cooled and heated garage and driving only when the outside temperature is 70F. Perfection is both Expensive and Limiting.

I am wondering about the Efficiency and Cost of:

Keeping Plugged-In with a L1 or L2 Charge Station either outside or inside while not driven.

Using a Heated Pad (110v) under the battery (perhaps on a timer).

*Shield Life TheraMat Floor Warmer is a spacious 79" x 55" space warmer @$359.99.
*HeatTrak Heated Snow Melting Mats are 40" x 60" @$439.95.

Or a Low Cost Efficient Electric Space Heater (if garaged).

Would a "Rule of Thumb" Cost vs Loss be:

Cost per KwH for a Recharge + 20% Premium for Cold/Hot Driving Conditions
=
Cost per KwH for a Recharge + Cost per KwH for a Pre-Conditioning Heater or Pre-Plugging In
I think you're overthinking this.

Yes, preconditioning your truck, with departure times, will improve the range. Why? Because the battery is already warmed, as is the cabin, on house current. Remote starting warms the cabin (but not the battery, at least on the Mach-E). If you drive in cold temps without a departure time, the vehicle spends battery energy warming the battery, so you have cut your range.

This is a small hit. Maybe your range isn't decreased by 1 or 2%.

IMO, your heating pad, floor warmer, and space heater ideas are all bad ideas from the standpoint of electricity usage, i.e. you'll spend more energy / money running those than you'll lose in range by using a cold truck.

Keep in mind that most people will remote start on a cold day if they don't set a departure time. So the cabin is warm. You then use your heated seat and heated steering wheel, plus the heat set to a normal operating temp since the cabin is warm, to drive. Therefore, the battery isn't running the heater full out to heat the cabin, and can divert energy to warming the battery.

The other thing to keep in mind is that range only matters when you're going to use all of it before recharging at the end of your drive. If you have 300 miles of range and drive 100 and then park at your destination or home and recharge, then extending your range by preconditioning has accomplished nothing as far as range is concerned.

So, if you're going grocery shopping, you don't need to say "sorry, I need 45 minutes to precondition using a departure time before we can leave". You simply hit Remote Start, wait 5 or 10 minutes, and leave, just like with an ICE vehicle. The difference is that the cabin will be much warmer.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First, let's clear up something. The Mach-E has no option called "pre-conditioning". You have two choices - setting a departure time (which does precondition), or remote starting (which does not precondition). Both options will turn on the heater and warm the cabin, thereby heating the windshield.

Currently, the Mach-E requires you to set a departure time on a day and time, and then will repeat that a week later. There is no "I want to leave shortly and then delete this departure time" option at the present time.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
First, let's clear up something. The Mach-E has no option called "pre-conditioning". You have two choices - setting a departure time (which does precondition), or remote starting (which does not precondition). Both options will turn on the heater and warm the cabin, thereby heating the windshield.

Currently, the Mach-E requires you to set a departure time on a day and time, and then will repeat that a week later. There is no "I want to leave shortly and then delete this departure time" option at the present time.
Correct - can be done, but you have to manually set it up and then delete it every time. Not the best system

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
As a Mach-e owner, yes, preconditioning does a good job of that - to a limit. It won't melt off a foot of snow that you got overnight, but easily takes care of the typical frost / fog. Remote start does a good job as well, but not as good as preconditioning with a planned departure time.
Is remote start based on proximity to the car or accessible through the internet? If latter, do you pay any subscription fees?

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Is remote start based on proximity to the car or accessible through the internet? If latter, do you pay any subscription fees?
It is accessible through the internet. Not paying any monthly fees for it now (not quite sure if that will change in the future - like the 3 years of bluecruise included with the purchase)

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
It is accessible through the internet. Not paying any monthly fees for it now (not quite sure if that will change in the future - like the 3 years of bluecruise included with the purchase)
On my xc90 it is “free” for 3 years. Wonder what happens when the cell tech phases out or will Ford still support an app for 200k lightning owners.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Remote starting is CELLULAR-BASED via the app. There is no remote start via the key with the Mach-E.

Actually, it's cellular, not via the internet.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
On my xc90 it is “free” for 3 years. Wonder what happens when the cell tech phases out or will Ford still support an app for 200k lightning owners.
Even if it’s phased out we can always step out and turn it on manually 15 minutes before leaving. I know, I know, easy for me to say here in Mississippi without real winter weather.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Remote starting is CELLULAR-BASED via the app. There is no remote start via the key with the Mach-E.

Actually, it's cellular, not via the internet.
Let's maybe say it's telematics. We know data transmission can happen over cellular which is nice for not having to be in any near proximity to the vehicle. It seems this might be using AT&T 5G based on the following, though I don't know if that will be separate from the 4G receiver indicated for FordPass Connect with 4G LTE wifi hotspot on the spec sheet, or if technology has been updated since first publish of spec sheet.

AT&T Brings 5G Connectivity to Ford F-150 Lightning | Digital Trends

I'm hoping that the Ford Charge Station Pro will also be able to send these control/monitoring telematics commands to the vehicle as well, since it will likely have home wifi connectivity and sometimes cellular reception inside a garage can be sketchy (at least for 4G for current EV).
Sponsored