• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

The End of Range Anxiety is in Sight

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I've been waiting for this paper to be released, and can't believe I missed it 19 days ago. As most of you know, I work at a lab that does advanced research, much like other national labs. This technology has advanced PAST the advanced research phase and into commercial capability. We call the initial years after advanced research as 'the valley of death, but should HEVO successfully bring it to market, it is an absolute game-changer.

High-power wireless vehicle charging technology licensed by HEVO | ORNL

Imagine the possibilities available sometime within the next decade! You won't care about the size of your battery pack. You won't care about what towing does to your range. You won't care where the next charger is located, because it can be built directly into the roadway. It will not be easy, but this should give you a glimpse into what researchers are working on.

I am extremely happy for my colleagues over at Oak Ridge!
Sponsored

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I've been waiting for this paper to be released, and can't believe I missed it 19 days ago. As most of you know, I work at a lab that does advanced research, much like other national labs. This technology has advanced PAST the advanced research phase and into commercial capability. We call the initial years after advanced research as 'the valley of death, but should HEVO successfully bring it to market, it is an absolute game-changer.

Imagine the possibilities available sometime within the next decade! You won't care about the size of your battery pack. You won't care about what towing does to your range. You won't care where the next charger is located, because it can be built directly into the roadway. It will not be easy, but this should give you a glimpse into what researchers are working on.

Really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I seem to recall in the recesses of my brain that some researchers in the Netherlands had built a stretch of roadway with charging capability.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

This bit caught my eye:
In wireless charging, EV batteries are energized when vehicles are parked over a charging pad or driven over specially outfitted roadways while power is transferred across an air gap between magnetic coils embedded in the ground and installed on the car.
The part about charging while driving sounds exciting, but also pretty expensive. That part will probably take more than a decade.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Lol. They can't even fix the potholes where I live. There is no way they could install and maintain this technology.
Also, this only takes into account roads and cars.

The grid is a whole other discussion.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The grid is a whole other discussion.
Because nothing ever gets better or improved, right? We should expect the grid to remain the same, or get worse, over the next decade. ?

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Because nothing ever gets better or improved, right? We should expect the grid to remain the same, or get worse, over the next decade. ?
Given the track record of the entities in charge of our roadways I've gotta say "worse" and "more expensive"

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Basically, has been the same for decades. :rolleyes:

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
The U.S. infrastructure is currently in the worst condition it has been in decades. You might be surprised by how many bridges in the U.S. are currently classified as structurally unsafe. The power grid where I live in NJ is so bad that thousands of people lose power whenever there is a stiff breeze. When a transformer blows, sometimes the power is out for 12 hours or more while the power company sends a truck to Pennsylvania or some other state to locate an antique transformer that matches the specs of the one that blew. I'm not saying that things can't improve, but the evidence says it probably won't be anytime soon. The power grid needs to be improved to reliably provide power for the existing loads before they can even consider adding more load.

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I guess I can be optimistic since I do have insight into the changes planned by some of the largest utility companies.

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
While in road charging for consumers is likely a long way off the potential for charging in parking areas without the need to plug in is very exciting.

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I guess I can be optimistic since I do have insight into the changes planned by some of the largest utility companies.
Well utilities that are regulated can only do what the regulators approve and non regulated utilities can only do what they can afford, and both will only do things they say will keep the bills low. So whatever insight you have has strings attached.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I wonder if 30 mile/minute fast charging will make technologies like this irrelevant? It's cool and all, but it really only seems to make sense on closed transit lines like downtown bus loops or the Disney Magic Parade.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Basically, has been the same for decades. :rolleyes:
it has remained the same in many areas, sadly. But more demand drives improvements. Most arguments made in regards to the grid not being able to support mass adoption of EVs are mostly pointless and unsubstantiated. Itā€™s true, if suddenly 30% or more of all vehicles switched to electric overnight, our power infrastructure in many places wouldnā€™t be able to handle it. But itā€™s a gradual adoption that is accelerating. Most utility companies are also accelerating their infrastructure development and are promoting EVs.

Another way to look at it is that back in the ā€˜50s, people were making all the same claims and talking about our power grid not being able to handle electric clothes dryers. ā€¦just to add that little bit of perspective.

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
Iā€™m optimistic with you. My goal is to get enough of a nest egg with my current job in the next 5 years so I can switch over to a job Iā€˜m passionate about in EV tech. Iā€™d like to help bring some of this stuff to fruition.
Sponsored