First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
And probably if I was in your situation for a lifestyle, I would pay the extra as being on the road and/or moving around a lot you want all the tools in your toolbox to make life easier :)
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Thanks @Yves for the justification!

I think the rules only require one person to second the motion. :)

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Just remember, when a 'product' (software, etc) is 'free', YOU are in-fact, the product. You can't sidestep the telcos tracking you -- LTE working right by design needs to know where the phones are. Google and apple each track devices -- they listen too. Ford via telemetry is tracking you and your vehicle's parameters. Personally at this point, I don't see any benefit in giving amazon my metadata too.

Goog maps also scrapes 'speed trap' data from waze as well. They're the little bullhorn looking icons you see randomly on the map. It can also be put into sat image mode as well so you can see areas you don't know before arrival.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I prefer Google maps/nav (& Waze) over vehicle nav so I can share my saved locations, preload routes, see traffic and other issues on routes on all my vehicles since I drive more than the truck. And when I sell it one day, I won't have to figure out how to export the data from the truck since it is stored on the Google servers.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't know any Metadata harvesters that I like or trust. And I sloppily have left my breadcrumbs all over for so long that I don't think I could hide at this point.

Or put another way, it's too late for me. And I'm old. Writing the last chapters of my story. I'm going out enjoying more, worrying less.

Besides, I don't think I have anything anyone wants. And if I do and they really need it, I might just give it to them. Lol

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I prefer Google maps/nav (& Waze) over vehicle nav so I can share my saved locations, preload routes, see traffic and other issues on routes on all my vehicles since I drive more than the truck. And when I sell it one day, I won't have to figure out how to export the data from the truck since it is stored on the Google servers.
When not navigating, google maps shows a couple destinations you're potentially to go. While it's not much use in the traditional sense, it does give you an idea of traffic as the color / time to get to a location goes green, yellow, red based on traffic.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
@Snakebitten how does the built in NAV compare to Waze/Google for avoiding traffic jams in Houston? On the west side deciding between I10 or The west park (which are identical distances for me) can be a 40 minute difference. I was not aware the built in NAV had any traffic awareness.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honestly, I don't know because I barely even approach the big city.

My daily commute for 20+ years is to sneak up to the southern edge from a very rural spot between Pearland and Angleton. The only time I ever see traffic is the occasional Brazoria County traffic accident on HW35. There's plenty of county roads to get around such.

But I have seen settings regarding traffic and tolls and such for the Native navigation. But I doubt it is as mature as something like Waze for user sharing.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I admit that with the truck being an INSANE $80k (I live in an RV that cost 1/4th that 🙄🤣) I refuse to gimp it in any way over the subscriptions that are tied to full functionality.

I have 4 subscriptions?

Screenshot_20230122_163718_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20230122_163735_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20230122_163749_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20230122_163802_FordPass.jpg
i have 3 of the above
i have never looked at my ford streaming stuff
i figure wife #1 can do that as a passenger. we also have some weird stream thing with the att data plan, but i have never logged it in. as far as pod cast and news...i am overloaded with news now , so pandora rock and roll from my time is most played. i to am old and if they need me that bad...well you know..being a native texan ..its on a flag already

edit
i just looked at my steaming thing, the dealer paid 12 months expires in april...probably wont renew it
i really wish blue cruise was on a truck near me when i traded for the 22 kr. but who knows.
what the cards hold

Last edited:

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't know any Metadata harvesters that I like or trust. And I sloppily have left my breadcrumbs all over for so long that I don't think I could hide at this point.

Or put another way, it's too late for me. And I'm old. Writing the last chapters of my story. I'm going out enjoying more, worrying less.

Besides, I don't think I have anything anyone wants. And if I do and they really need it, I might just give it to them. Lol
Why some people are so paranoid is beyond me. They can track every time you use just about anything. Like you @Snakebitten , It is too late for me to start looking over my shoulder and I don't real care what they track. Hell, if I knew I was being watched, I would give them something to talk about....LMAO

Last edited:

Sponsored

nrmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost 302A; 2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
I use Apple Maps. the built in navigation takes the long and wrong way here in NC.

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
I use the truck's data function to feed data to the phone, only works plugged in. Its superior antennas and placement maintain network connectivity long after the phone loses reception. There's some signal dead zones due to geographic features, but the vehicle maintains connection longer and re-establishes connection at times the phone never does. With VOIP native in the phone, I'm able to maintain much more connectivity.
Please clarify this for me. Does this require the AT&T Hotspot be active? If so, why wouldn't it work through a WiFi connection?

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
@powerboatr

Specifically regarding the question "android auto versus built in gps navigation"

I have gone back and forth a few times and in a couple of different Powerboost. But for me personally I now favor Alexa handling the onboard navigation over Android Auto.

In other vehicles, often Android Auto was/is both a more consistent experience (obviously) AND a superior experience over the native entertainment system, including navigation. But I have now concluded that Ford has Sync4 developed to a state where I usually don't even bother with Android Auto.

I know it's subjective, but I love the night theme of Sync4, so graphically I'm not disappointed. And again, Alexa is incredibly responsive in managing the native navigation. I no longer have to touch the screen regarding. Also, Android Auto disables my configurable tab in Sync and I have become attached to hitting the "email" tab while driving so I can get a glance of my Inbox in order to see if I need to stop and take care of business. Fantastic feature for me.

Having the Sync screen in Sync mode is the most efficient for accessing the information and options while I drive.

As for the streaming choices that I used to have to use Android Auto or pick up the phone for, Alexa can even manage that now. With Alexa setup for all the "skills" that support my favorite apps, I just tell her what I want to hear and from what source.

I'm not in any way bashing Android Auto. Rather I'm extolling how well Sync and the integration of Alexa is at pretty much accomplishing everything I used to need Android Auto for, as well as some things beyond Android Auto.

These trucks are amazing.
Never used Alexa. I wasn't even considering it until I saw this thread. I am a confessed Waze fanatic. The real-time road hazards and traffic updates and automatic rerouting around congestion has saved me countless hours and tons of grief over the years. BUT I am always open to learning new things! I know it sounds weird that I am a very old IT guy that doesn't care for talking to all of my tools/toys, but again, I'm willing to learn. What has to be done on my end to use this fancy stuff? Tips?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As much as I have made my case for Alexa and Sync4, Waze addicts will have a hard time breaking the habit. It's a unique UI and it's traffic intelligence isn't matched that I know of.

My daily driving just doesn't leverage those strengths.

But to dabble in Ford's Alexa, just click Alexa in Sync and enter your Amazon credentials. Alexa exits her cryo-pod and awaits your commands.

If you load the Alexa app on your phone, you can manage her from there and dig into how you might extend her usefulness for you. For example, you can install FordPass skills into Alexa. That allows her to use FordPass by voice command. (example: Alexa, start my truck)

I went from not knowing anything about her until I fetched the truck. Now I am squeezing the last of my toothpaste and when I get in the truck I ask "Alexa, add toothpaste to my shopping list" 🤣

I'm an old man myself. And have been in IT for 30 years. I'm having a ball though.

mrtull

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
If you load the Alexa app on your phone, you can manage her from there and dig into how you might extend her usefulness for you
I've got Alexa on my phone, and i cannot get them to work together. I don't pay for Ford streaming, but it would be cool if talking to Alexa Built in would control my phone. How did you make them work together? Right now, i connect my phone with Bluetooth. I start Amazon Music and ask Alexa to play the song. My phone starts playing it, but Alexa Built in stops it to tell me I'm not connected to streaming, then goes back to playing Bluetooth music.... Started by Alexa. Not sure what hoop I'm not jumping through.

To answer the original question about AA vs. Built in Nav, none of the trucks with features i wanted in the XLT had Nav. I knew I had AA so i didn't try to add it. I wonder if Sync 5.2 or something like that will just include the Nav.
Sponsored