Sponsored

Bajou

First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16MKX '18EDGE '19F-150 (Explorer MarkLT and many F150'S)
Occupation
Financial advisor, business owner
i'm taking delivery of my truck monday, but the dealer let me test drive it today. I felt about the same as you driving it. Impressive to see the rpm at 0 ... Your observations were about the same for me (except those related to the trim level which isn't the same) I'm really happy i got the powerboost even though the dealer was telling me we could remove this option to get to the price i wanted... easy way to get the price the customer wants... remove options lol

My advice about powerboost would be : Test drive it BEFORE buying without it, maybe you'll regret not having it, i'm sure this option will pay for itself in fuel savings and resale value
Sponsored

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
My advice about powerboost would be : Test drive it BEFORE buying without it, maybe you'll regret not having it, i'm sure this option will pay for itself in fuel savings and resale value
For many months now I had little to no interest in the PowerBoost, as I didn't really have a need for the features/benefits it provided. At some point I think I read it was something like a ~$1,900 upcharge, so never seriously looked into it. Have never test driven a PB, but did drive the 3.5L EB, and figured that was good for me.

It wasn't until recently I was pricing out a Limited trim, ran the numbers side-by-side for the PB, and realized that it came with a few options I was paying for separately with the EB. The numbers revealed that at the end of the day getting the PB was only an additional ~$700.

With the improved MPG of the PB, the payback term was just under 2 years (obviously it depends on what happens with the price of fuel and real-world MPG numbers). Based on the positive feedback on the PB I've read about on this forum, that sealed the deal.

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
Maybe. Doesn’t seem like an option to many fleet companies would select, though.
I think if I am reading the order guide correctly, the dual zone climate comes with the PowerBoost....

Option 99D:
3.5L PowerBoost Full Hy brid V6 Engine (req. Hy brid Electronic Ten-Speed Automatic Transmission (44H); incl. Dual-zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC))

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I think if I am reading the order guide correctly, the dual zone climate comes with the PowerBoost....

Option 99D:
3.5L PowerBoost Full Hy brid V6 Engine (req. Hy brid Electronic Ten-Speed Automatic Transmission (44H); incl. Dual-zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC))
That appears to be correct. DEATC means dual zone and it’ll have A/C and heating separate for the driver and passenger like this ?

Ford F-150 Test drove a PowerBoost last night! First Impressions: E6EF9ED2-2B60-4E71-B446-2255F2BAD9B1

Good catch!

OP
OP
DannyboyUpstate

DannyboyUpstate

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XLT Supercab 5.0L 6.5’ bed
That appears to be correct. DEATC means dual zone and it’ll have A/C and heating separate for the driver and passenger like this ?

Good catch!
That's the exact climate controller that the XL I drove had.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
I don't think I'll be choosing a similarly equipped XL truck. Although this truck was plenty comfortable for me (I think some of these super high-end trucks are pretty ridiculous, though I know I'm in the minority on these forums), I think Ford just dings you too much for every little thing on the XL packages. Take for instance the Powerboost engine alone. It's $4500 on an XL and only $2500 on an XLT with the 302a package. This truck MSRPs for $51,000. For less than 10% more money, you get way more than 10% more value in an XLT 302a package. Especially with the SYNC 4 12" screen! Above that it's diminishing returns, in my opinion.

Of course my favorite color is Guard, and it's not available with the PowerBoost... who made that dumb decision? The "green" truck isn't available in green?!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Very nice write-up. A couple things though, I just ordered an XLT 302A powerboost 4wd and the up-charge to add the hybrid was $4495, not $2500. I think it depends on which base engine is initially selected. I assume the base V6 would be in the XL.
Also, I wanted stone gray but it's only available in the chrome package. The color selections are not as good as previous years. I also wish they still had blue jean blue from a couple years ago.
Lastly, its driving me mad that I can't order the truck with my choice of wheel and tire combo. They 'must' be 'package' specific. I'm not fond of the tiny 18" tires on the 2wd but the 4wd with the same wheels gets you a bigger tire. Maddening.
And don't get me started on the Ford build app not allowing the powerboost with the 2wd. But if you go to the dealer and use the factory order software you can get it in 2wd...

OP
OP
DannyboyUpstate

DannyboyUpstate

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XLT Supercab 5.0L 6.5’ bed
I don't think I'll be choosing a similarly equipped XL truck. Although this truck was plenty comfortable for me (I think some of these super high-end trucks are pretty ridiculous, though I know I'm in the minority on these forums), I think Ford just dings you too much for every little thing on the XL packages. Take for instance the Powerboost engine alone. It's $4500 on an XL and only $2500 on an XLT with the 302a package. This truck MSRPs for $51,000. For less than 10% more money, you get way more than 10% more value in an XLT 302a package. Especially with the SYNC 4 12" screen! Above that it's diminishing returns, in my opinion.

Of course my favorite color is Guard, and it's not available with the PowerBoost... who made that dumb decision? The "green" truck isn't available in green?!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Very nice write-up. A couple things though, I just ordered an XLT 302A powerboost 4wd and the up-charge to add the hybrid was $4495, not $2500. I think it depends on which base engine is initially selected. I assume the base V6 would be in the XL.
Also, I wanted stone gray but it's only available in the chrome package. The color selections are not as good as previous years. I also wish they still had blue jean blue from a couple years ago.
Lastly, its driving me mad that I can't order the truck with my choice of wheel and tire combo. They 'must' be 'package' specific. I'm not fond of the tiny 18" tires on the 2wd but the 4wd with the same wheels gets you a bigger tire. Maddening.
And don't get me started on the Ford build app not allowing the powerboost with the 2wd. But if you go to the dealer and use the factory order software you can get it in 2wd...
Definitely a lot of issues with the Ford website. Especially when it tells you you must add the towing package when you choose the PowerBoost, but then later in the selection software, it will allow you to add the towing package again for another $1000... nightmare.

I also would like a 302A without the Chrome package, but not the Sport package... oh well.

I did learn from another forum, from a Ford salesman, that I thought it was only $2500 for the PowerBoost XLT, it was actually more. I was selecting a 6.5’ bed, which automatically jumps your minimum engine up to 5.0L, which makes the PowerBoost appear cheaper.

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford

Option 99D:

E6EF9ED2-2B60-4E71-B446-2255F2BAD9B1.jpeg

Good catch!
That's the exact climate controller that the XL I drove had.
If I had to guess I bet the manual climate system doesn't work with the Hybrid. It needs the advanced system so it can talk with the engine to decide when it needs to turn on and off to get enough power to cool or engine heat to warm.
Sponsored