First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lincoln Nautius BL
Occupation
Retired USAF and IT
I agree with others that two days isn't enough to make a full evaluation or "learn" how to drive a PowerBoost. I've had my PB for four months and I love it. I don't really do too much to use the hybrid system, it does it by itself and I average 25% electric miles. I live in Colorado Springs and I would love a flat drive somewhere. This is an uphill or downhill place. If I get 25% electric here, if I were somewhere warm and flat I speculate I could get 35-40% electric miles. On the other hand - it is quick and fast. 430 hp and 570 lb ft of torque is significant. Put your foot in it and watch it go!

But, if I didn't have my PowerBoost, I would have an Denali Ultimate with the LZ0 Duramax. 👍
Sponsored

STM

First Name
SM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
As many have pointed out, if you buy the PB so you can have a lot of electric only miles on your short commute, you will likely be disappointed..

This truck is unlike the competition for several reasons.. The power, the refinement, ability to have AC on while you are stopped for extended periods of time with minimal running of the engine, the Pro power generator on board..

So in the 2 days you have it, I would focus on all the features of the truck and see if you like it.. Driving on electric is just one of the many cool features!

I love my truck..

Serjape

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Powerboost 3.5L Full Hybrid
Occupation
Senior Desktop Engineer
Been lurking on the site for a bit and finally about to test drive a powerboost for the first time. I’ll have it for a day or 2 while the dealer services my wife’s Yukon. I’ve had an Avalanche for about 15 years with 300k+ miles on it and it’s been a great truck but it’s finally time for it to retire.

I’ve driven GM’s my whole life but the powerboost has really intrigued me. Still weighing between it and a Silverado with the baby duramax as my wife has it in her Yukon and it’s a great engine, but again im very intrigued by the powerboost.

I live in a small town where most speed limits are 25-35 mph on my daily drive (about 2-3 miles, plus running various errands, etc). All flat. What I want to try and find out on this test drive is how much of the time can I spend in electric only mode when I’m just driving around town.

What I’m wondering is, am I being naive thinking that I’ll be able to get a sizable chunk of my daily driving in electric mode? I realize it’s not a plug in hybrid, but is it pretty close? Anyone with a powerboost have any pointers on how to achieve what I’m looking for?

thanks in advance-sorry if what I’m asking isn’t very clear.
I just got my 2023 powerboost at the beginning of May. When I approached the first 1000 miles I had already accumulated 218 miles of that on electric alone. Now mind you, I was spending some time seeing what powerboost meant as well, if you know what I mean. Now that i am paying attention and minding how I drive I am finding I am driving a lot more in electric mode. Depending on your terrain I can see this happening for you as well.

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
Been lurking on the site for a bit and finally about to test drive a powerboost for the first time. I’ll have it for a day or 2 while the dealer services my wife’s Yukon. I’ve had an Avalanche for about 15 years with 300k+ miles on it and it’s been a great truck but it’s finally time for it to retire.

I’ve driven GM’s my whole life but the powerboost has really intrigued me. Still weighing between it and a Silverado with the baby duramax as my wife has it in her Yukon and it’s a great engine, but again im very intrigued by the powerboost.

I live in a small town where most speed limits are 25-35 mph on my daily drive (about 2-3 miles, plus running various errands, etc). All flat. What I want to try and find out on this test drive is how much of the time can I spend in electric only mode when I’m just driving around town.

What I’m wondering is, am I being naive thinking that I’ll be able to get a sizable chunk of my daily driving in electric mode? I realize it’s not a plug in hybrid, but is it pretty close? Anyone with a powerboost have any pointers on how to achieve what I’m looking for?

thanks in advance-sorry if what I’m asking isn’t very clear.
Remember it's called a POWERBOOST, it's more for power. Unless you drive like grandma. 🙃

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
I think @jeffcrum and @Aron have it right.
I very much enjoy my '22 PB but there's a reason why it's labeled PowerBoost.
A manufacturer can choose among a couple of conflicting strategies for deploying a hybrid assist system like the PB. it can be used to maximize gas mileage (think Prius), OR it can be used to maximize power and torque without hurting gas mileage too badly.
Guess which strategy Ford chose for the F150?
In my nearly year long ownership experience, the truck is sometimes in electric only mode, but not often and not for long before the ICE fires up. So driving strategies designed to keep it in electric only mode are a fun game, but ultimately not of great value - the high voltage battery simply isn't intended for that. It is not spec'ed for significant amounts of driving in electric only mode.
But what isn't as obvious is that even with the ICE running you are getting advantage from the electric motor while it's in hybrid mode. You have to watch the EV Coach gauge to see it though.
I typically keep the ECO gauge on the screen and try to keep the needle "green". In doing so I typically get in the high 17s around town, and the low 20s over the road. So in your 2-3 day test drive, what you will notice is a very responsive truck that is fun to drive. But you probably won't notice in a short term test drive is that it isn't hitting your wallet all that hard...that comes after you've had one for awhile.
One other thing, be wary of very high mileage reports - the F150 can report four different MPG ratings; it can report "fuel economy" (accumulated over very long distances), "fuel economy Trip 1" or "fuel economy Trip 2" (tied to the resettable trip odometers), or "fuel economy this trip" (not resettable). That last one is highly problematic because it is very sensitive to trip duration. Rolling down the hill from home to the store it can easily show 25-28 MPG, but it's essentially meaningless. I suspect that some folks reporting very high MPGs are reporting the "this trip" figure, which is generally of no real use unless you are driving a significant duration at one sitting.

Sponsored

Harman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Powerboost, Lariat 502a
Occupation
retired AC tech.
I live in Jacksonville and have a 21 Lariat 502a. I now have 29000 miles with probably 25000 in town, stop and go, red light to red light. With the tires slightly over inflated I get one quarter to one third of the mileage on electric. That's about 23 mpg in town. I get 24 on the road but don't drive over 75. I use the EV coach and try to coast up to red lights. I never have been able to get the regen above 97%. Still much better mpg than my 2015 2.7 I traded in.

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
South GA is in the hurricane zone -- the utility of the onboard power generation is one of those things you don't really know just how much utility it can bring until you need it. Yes you could lug around 400lbs of equivalent generator and fuel, or you could drive it. While I haven't needed it to bolster my power, I've used it to power up a family member's home allowing refers / freezers to get back to temp and get some showers and hot food in.

With your short trip neither of the trucks you're looking at will be able to get the engine up to temp. I have a lot of short trips and bought an EV to make those. Within 20 seconds of 'starting' you're able to go non-stop wide open throttle rips with no concern for engine wear.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
What I’m wondering is, am I being naive thinking that I’ll be able to get a sizable chunk of my daily driving in electric mode?
It's a good truck no doubt but not good enough. My PB has the best of it all with a 7.2kW sweet sine wave generator built in. Mileage that rivals the little diesel and more powerful than the 6.2L. The Ford F-150 PowerBoost is the best half ton pickup on the market.

I hope it costs less for what you're not getting.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I suspect that some folks reporting very high MPGs are reporting the "this trip" figure, which is generally of no real use unless you are driving a significant duration at one sitting.
I agree completely. I captured this while sightseeing around Marco Island, Florida.

Never mind how cool it is to do 40mph with 0rpm lol

Ford F-150 Test Driving Powerboost -A few questions sightseein

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
. I suspect that some folks reporting very high MPGs are reporting the "this trip" figure, which is generally of no real use unless you are driving a significant duration at one sitting.
Here's the entire weekend trip. Combination interstate, highway, and sightseeing. 569.4 miles is a decent sample size. 25.8mpg combined looks like baby diesel territory to me.

Ford F-150 Test Driving Powerboost -A few questions IMG-1345

Sponsored

PaulGrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Here's the entire weekend trip. Combination interstate, highway, and sightseeing. 569.4 miles is a decent sample size. 25.8mpg combined looks like baby diesel territory to me.

IMG-1345.jpg
That’s great mileage, and totally believable given the mix of driving you reported.
My comment was really directed at the “this trip” mileage which resets every time the truck is parked.
I certainly agree that almost 600 miles is a significant chunk.

rtf150

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Agate Black 501A FX4 Powerboost
Sir…while test driving I hope you get the opportunity to pull up next to a Silverado. Then slam the throttle and let the 570 pound feet of torque work its magic and make you smile.

After you purchase you will then just enjoy driving it. After 20K miles and you see your AVG MPH in the mid to upper 20’s (obviously relative to your driving habits but you did describe flat road errand run grandpa life) you’ll be happy.

Have fun on your test drive! At least plug in a coffee pot to make some tailgate coffee. You have to try every feature….right? Better yet strap the coffee pot down and show your Silverado adversary your making coffee WHILE pulling away!

All kidding aside enjoy your time with the truck…It is one hell of a machine!

Karytas80

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PB FX4
In my experience, mpg gets best when I cruise anywhere between 35-55mph on flat or slightly down hill...I get 26-29mpg on a highway with little heavy traffic where I'm forced to drive slower then speed limit but not in stop & go traffic. I get between 8-13mpg in my daily morning drive to my kids school which is about 2 miles with lot of stop signs.
Sponsored