First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Chevy Avalanche
Occupation
Lawyer
Been lurking on the site for a bit and finally about to test drive a powerboost for the first time. I’ll have it for a day or 2 while the dealer services my wife’s Yukon. I’ve had an Avalanche for about 15 years with 300k+ miles on it and it’s been a great truck but it’s finally time for it to retire.

I’ve driven GM’s my whole life but the powerboost has really intrigued me. Still weighing between it and a Silverado with the baby duramax as my wife has it in her Yukon and it’s a great engine, but again im very intrigued by the powerboost.

I live in a small town where most speed limits are 25-35 mph on my daily drive (about 2-3 miles, plus running various errands, etc). All flat. What I want to try and find out on this test drive is how much of the time can I spend in electric only mode when I’m just driving around town.

What I’m wondering is, am I being naive thinking that I’ll be able to get a sizable chunk of my daily driving in electric mode? I realize it’s not a plug in hybrid, but is it pretty close? Anyone with a powerboost have any pointers on how to achieve what I’m looking for?

thanks in advance-sorry if what I’m asking isn’t very clear.
Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Low speed, flat, stop and go driving, is where the powerboost excels but the battery is not very large so, what is sizeable, might be in the eye of the beholder.

Your super short commutes, will not let the system shine.

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I don’t think you’ll be blown away with your short commute. Also it won’t really get up to temp in that distance. For me when it shines is 20-50 mph flat for sure. I’d suggest going 5-10mph over the limit then lightly dragging your foot on the brake back down to speed limit. This will trick the motor to kick to electric only. Then use very light throttle to maintain speed in all electric mode. I came from a ford fusion hybrid so I sorta knew how to drive a hybrid. Keep in mind you probably won’t “learn” how to best drive the truck in 2 days. Took me a few weeks at least. Love my Powerboost and I’m sure you will too!

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Hey, You'll like it. I've had a Ford Hybrid since 2006, an Escape and now an F-150. You're in Georgia, there's got to be some hills unless you're right on the coast... I find driving around Denver, hilly, that the hybrid feature gets really good MPG as it recaptures energy on the down hills. If you're really flat I think you'll be able to get about 1 mile out of the battery each way. But remember the engine needs to be warmed up, so summertime will be good. In fact much of the year will be good. I lived in Charleston SC for some years, so I think I got it. You'll need to learn to feather the gas pedal on initial start from a stop light. Despite the gripes you hear on this site, my F-150 PowerBoost is virtually flawless. PS Watch it when you go to pass someone, this thing is a rocketship. Out here in Wyoming you're allowed +10 on the speed limit for passing... I had to learn to keep it down or I'd end up at 90MPH (or more).

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Countering the above about feathering the throttle from a stop. Yes you can do this but imo it’s not the best use of the hybrid system. The battery is too small and the electric motor is too weak to get these trucks going. Alternatively, accelerate as normal, staying out of boost. This will charge the battery, get you up to speed, then use the electric motor to maintain speed on flats and downhills.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
A couple days isn't really enough to gauge it. It takes a few weeks to learn its behavior. What you'll most likely see is that the ICE starts on takeoff from a stop and then will shut off. 2-3 miles isn't even enough to warm up the engine even though it does have an exhaust heat scavenger to help bring the engine and cabin heat up to temp as quickly as possible. Unless it's cold outside -- and its auto climate demands heat, it won't even start -- it will just start climate acclimation. That's probably my one gripe as I have lots of short trips right now and I'm not fond of driving a cold engine. Needs an option for remote start to actually start the engine up when commanded. Otherwise you have to hit the gas pedal for it to start.

The AC is HVDC driven and thus not reliant on the ICE to run so you can keep it nice and cool w/ AC w/out having to run the engine. I'd say an overwhelming number of PB owners love the truck. The power is under-rated to appease raptor buyers --- but the drag races don't lie, the PB pulls away form raptors.

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
Also there is a marked difference for me on engaging electric only mode between Spring and Summer vs the colder part of fall and Winter. It's very hard to do it without some aggressive tapping of the breaks when cold out. The truck engages electric mode far more winningly over about 55-60 degrees.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also there is a marked difference for me on engaging electric only mode between Spring and Summer vs the colder part of fall and Winter. It's very hard to do it without some aggressive tapping of the breaks when cold out. The truck engages electric mode far more winningly over about 55-60 degrees.
I'm hoping to see a little more refinement in ICE shutdown. I've seen it cut off at times not expecting it w/ cruise set at 50 mph. Need to do more data collection to see if the cruise being set contributes more to ICE cutoff than when it's not engaged. I'd prefer a "light" 1 pedal regen off throttle where little throttle applications reduce the regen. With my frequent EV driving, it just makes sense to me for that logic to be optional even though it's not exactly coming to stop with the little 40kW regen capability.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
As to feathering the gas pedal... that's one way to skin the cat... by allowing you to stay on the battery. Works nicely on level ground. If you're only going 2-3 miles the other way may not allow you to get on the battery & go a full mile or so before you get to the destination. So play with it.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
32k miles on my Powerboost - unfortunately I can almost guarantee you won’t see good fuel economy with a 2-3 mile commute. The EPA requires that the engine come on when starting off your journey and warms up the catalytic converter. That’ll probably take you a mile into your 2-3 miles. The battery and electric motor typically drive the truck during this time to avoid loading a cold engine, so your battery will be dead when the warmup cycle is complete. Then it’ll start charging, which will eat up the majority of the rest of your trip. At that point, it’ll start operating efficiently and bring your mpg up, but you’ll already be pulling into your destination. I usually need a 5+ mile trip for fuel economy to get back into the mid 20s.
I have a local 2.8 mile trip I take a few times a week. It ranges between 15 and 18mpg

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
32k miles on my Powerboost - unfortunately I can almost guarantee you won’t see good fuel economy with a 2-3 mile commute. The EPA requires that the engine come on when starting off your journey and warms up the catalytic converter. That’ll probably take you a mile into your 2-3 miles. The battery and electric motor typically drive the truck during this time to avoid loading a cold engine, so your battery will be dead when the warmup cycle is complete. Then it’ll start charging, which will eat up the majority of the rest of your trip. At that point, it’ll start operating efficiently and bring your mpg up, but you’ll already be pulling into your destination. I usually need a 5+ mile trip for fuel economy to get back into the mid 20s.
I have a local 2.8 mile trip I take a few times a week. It ranges between 15 and 18mpg
I've never seen the ICE running and the batt not be charged unless it's full. Hell it regens the down-rev if you slap the throttle. The e-motor helps rev the ICE (energy out of batt) and sucks it right back up to rev it down (energy back into batt). I'd be interested in viewing your data log if you can find the ICE running and the batt not charging while the SOC is below 55%.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I watch the gas mileage calculations change as I drive probably more closely than I should, but it’s helped me learn the system. In the first couple of miles, it’s really difficult to get more than about 7-8 mpg while the engine warms up and you’re accelerating from a stop. Once you’ve gone 5-10 miles, the mileage averages out to something reasonable (18-20 mpg), and by 20 miles of my typical driving it’s usually averaged up to the 24-26 mpg range.

Your 2-3 mile commute isn’t really going to give you much in the way of respectable fuel economy with the Powerboost, but then I bet you could say that with just about any vehicle that doesn’t plug in.

Meathead

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Edge, 2017 Transit. 2019 F150, maybe 22 F150
I have a 3.2 mile commute to work, fair number of hills and stop signs. I do best avoiding as many stop signs as possible and the 25mph zones. My preferred route has a mix of 45mph and 35mph zones and one nice hill. On a good day like today almost half of the trip was electric and mileage according to the trucks computer was 24. If I take the 25mph zones it has more stop signs and smaller hills, about 30-35% of the trip is electric and trucks computer will show mileage around 20/21.
I also keep the eco coach screen up so I can watch the charge and elec depletion. I like to accelerate up to speed and about 5 over the posted and then feather the gas when in electric.
My 19 F150 would average 15-16 on the same trip. Maybe 21 out on the highway. Last week I had two trips both over an hour on the highway and trucks computer read 25.6
I'm happy with the powerboost. Hopefully tomorrow when I go in for the first oil change something else doesnt catch my eye :LOL:

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
This vehicle is not about driving on electric.

It is about the cool shit that gas and electric can do.
Torque
HP
Generator
Powering my freaking house for three days after hurricane Ida!

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
This vehicle is not about driving on electric.

It is about the cool shit that gas and electric can do.
Torque
HP
Generator
Powering my freaking house for three days after hurricane Ida!
I 100% agree with this!

I believe that there is a reason that Ford didn't slap a "hybrid" logo onto the Powerboost (well, several reasons, but this is one): to help mitigate expectations of how to drive it, since it isn't a "typical" hybrid. It's not really designed to be driven like a traditional hybrid, trying to maximize electric mode. It's designed for the electric motor primarily to Boost Power when needed (hence the name).
Sponsored