• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla opening Superchargers to other automakers this year.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I own a Tesla, have driven them for over 200k miles, am a fan, but this is complete BS. Anyone who knows anything about the Supercharger network and its technology understands that Teslas are upwardly compatible with ANY charging technology but that the Supercharger is only downwardly compatible with a Tesla.

Every Tesla and every other EV made has an onboard charger and uses raw electricity to charge - converting that electricity INSIDE the car through an inverter into whatever it needs to charge its battery. However, when plugged into a Supercharger, uniquely to Tesla alone, the process entirely bypasses the car's internal charging systems. It uses proprietary technology to directly dump electricity into the battery, with the actual charger being on the landside of the process, outside of the car (actually not in the pylon either, but inside a nearby structure). This is why, unlike with EVERY other charger you will see out there, a Tesla Supercharger always has a building-size enclosure nearby that holds the charging systems.

Other vehicles cannot use this tech and will not use this tech. This is why Elon is laughing up his sleeve when he says that he is opening up Superchargers to other brands. Just as he said he would open his patents to others - it makes him look good, but the other brands would first need to completely reengineer their vehicle's charging systems (and probably their batteries) to use the Supercharger. What he did with Tesla is so proprietary that NO ONE else will adopt it. The way Tesla charges with Superchargers is simply not compatible with other makes.

The debate above about Tesla charger locations is plain silly. I've used Superchargers from the Florida keys to Maine, from San Diego to Portland and across the U.S. on numerous routes in all types of weather, including Minnesota blizzard. There have been a few (very few) clunker locations, but most have excellent nearby facilities akin to Starbucks, Panera, etc. with LOTS of food and coffee/tea choices. Electrify America, which I have been watching closely while lusting for a Taycan, is more than 90% at Walmarts.

The EA network is expanding rapidly, may soon eclipse the Tesla Supercharger network, but is having a lot of teething problems related to not meeting charging speed objectives, locations being down, and incompatibilities with brands that are supposed to plug-and-play with its technology. I'm sure this will get sorted out, just as the early days of the Supercharger network were often dicey (in 2012/13 we took road trips that often included long stays on level 2 chargers in marinas, campgrounds, at welding shops, jury-rigged dryer connections - those days are long gone now). The Taycan remains a future possibility and will only become reality for me after EA gets sorted - because right now virtually all road trip reports are negative or spotty at best. My son has a four month old Mustang Mach E. As a Navy pilot, he runs long road trips. He has disaster story after disaster story about EA chargers. The Mach E is a GREAT vehicle, but it is being held back by the charging network for road trips, as will the Lightning. I've got one of those on order, but for now, am thinking it will be a local hauler, and the Tesla or the KR will remain the road trip choices. That's a big problem for Ford because few people can have the kind of fleet we do with our businesses and farm.

With Tesla we can take trips anywhere in the U.S. without thinking about charging, and arrive just as fast as we would in an ICE vehicle, more relaxed and after a better driving experience. As it stands today, that is not true using EA in a Porsche, Volvo, Ford or other EV. I find the Tesla build quality to be inferior after owning three of their vehicles (currently a Raven MX after a '12 MS, '14 P85D), but the Supercharger network was the game changer that made EV travel a mainstream thing, and it remains the key differentiator between Tesla and every other EV manufacturer - and as it stands, even though I'd rather drive a Porsche Taycan, it keeps me with Tesla. It is that much better -a true no brainer.
Sponsored

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
So, you say I'm a fanboy, and then ask "What success" for Tesla?
Not a clue what you are going on about but... ..what we have here is a failure to commmunimakate:D...

Another poor location in my area. Most of the stores are closed in its kinda an abandoned strip mall feel near a downscale Kroger. No one in their right mind would have put one here. But the map pin said one had to go in...(n)

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla opening Superchargers to other automakers this year. 1627141781430

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Not a clue what you are going on about but... ..what we have here is a failure to commmunimakate:D...
It's pretty clear.

You call me a fanboy for saying that Tesla and its supercharger network has greatly improved the public's perception of EVs... which even Tesla's competitors agree with: For instance, when Ford's CEO put the Model 3 in the same list as the Model T and the F-150 Lightning as far as their impact. When it's a commonly-held position, which even Tesla competitors agree with, that means it's not a "fanboy" opinion.

Then, you say "What success?" as if Tesla hasn't had some major successes. That is an opinion that ignores reality and even Tesla competitors would say is nonsense.

There are plenty of things to complain about regarding Tesla (here I am, fanboying again!), but it's not really debatable that they've been very successful for a US automotive startup and improving the perception of EVs, and that the Supercharger network was a big part of that.

Another poor location in my area. Most of the stores are closed in its kinda an abandoned strip mall feel near a downscale Kroger. No one in their right mind would have put one here. But the map pin said one had to go in...(n)

1627141781430.png
I never said every Supercharger location was great. The one at the Chattanooga Airport is far from ideal, for instance. But you've been disingenuous about pretty good locations, and furthermore, there are also good and bad locations for the CCS network, too. And you have continued to claim Tesla doesn't have any at gas stations despite it being demonstrably false.

Again, while many unaffiliated reviewers still say that the Tesla network is superior (Car and Driver and their recent 1000-mile EV comparison test, for instance), the CCS network have made huge, huge strides over the years since I started road tripping with CCS in 2015 and it's now a very viable, usable network for many use cases, and has substantially closed the gap between CCS and Tesla. Oops, another classic Tesla fanboy move of saying the CCS network is quite good, now!

This is my last post in response to you.

You're not going to convince me of things that are demonstrably false. And I'm not going to convince you about anything, either, if you somehow still think "What success?" about Tesla despite overwhelming evidence and even competing CEOs believing otherwise. Basically, you're wasting your time and I'm wasting mine.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Can someone tell me the point behind the 'You a fanboy, no you a fanboy, nothing but sucking locations for your type of charging, etc'. Did someone insult the other's manhood or mother? Previous personal beef? Just had to scroll by a lot of posts of these types and just stopped reading them. Almost as bad as the other thread where just as the political takes are winding down, someone decides their manhood is questioned and has to respond with another political post.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Can someone tell me the point behind the 'You a fanboy, no you a fanboy, nothing but sucking locations for your type of charging, etc'. Did someone insult the other's manhood or mother? Previous personal beef? Just had to scroll by a lot of posts of these types and just stopped reading them. Almost as bad as the other thread where just as the political takes are winding down, someone decides their manhood is questioned and has to respond with another political post.
It’s just your typical internet forum tribalist drivel. It’s best to do as you are now and scroll past it.

Sponsored

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I own a Tesla, have driven them for over 200k miles, am a fan, but this is complete BS. Anyone who knows anything about the Supercharger network and its technology understands that Teslas are upwardly compatible with ANY charging technology but that the Supercharger is only downwardly compatible with a Tesla.

Every Tesla and every other EV made has an onboard charger and uses raw electricity to charge - converting that electricity INSIDE the car through an inverter into whatever it needs to charge its battery. However, when plugged into a Supercharger, uniquely to Tesla alone, the process entirely bypasses the car's internal charging systems. It uses proprietary technology to directly dump electricity into the battery, with the actual charger being on the landside of the process, outside of the car (actually not in the pylon either, but inside a nearby structure). This is why, unlike with EVERY other charger you will see out there, a Tesla Supercharger always has a building-size enclosure nearby that holds the charging systems.
FYI and just for clarity, every EV with fast charging does exactly what you described, and it’s not “proprietary to Tesla” at all. When you’re charging at home or on a “slow” charger, you’re using AC current. The “technical” name for this type of plug is actually not a “charger” at all, but an EVSE which stands for EV Station Equipment. Essentially all it is is a “smart extension cord” that pumps AC current into the car’s battery charger, which converts the AC to DC and puts electrons in the battery.

A “fast charger,” including the Tesla super chargers is technically called a DCFC (DC Fast Charger) and gets a direct connection to the vehicle’s battery, which it can supply higher current DC. There’s nothing really magical or proprietary to Supercharger other than the plugs and the communications/billing network that supports it.

I haven’t followed it deeply, but I believe that Elon’s argument when he launched the Supercharger network was that CCS wasn’t really fully finalized, and Chademo couldn’t support more than 50A, so he went his own way with a special plug. There’s truth to both those assertions although it’s not longer valid.

The “magic” to Supercharger is the footprint, and the end-to-end billing and integration between the vehicle, customer, and network. This is slowly coming to CCS as well, and FordPass is probably the first scaled example.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
There’s nothing really magical or proprietary to Supercharger other than the plugs and the communications/billing network that supports it.
That's true. But until these two non-magical issues are resolved, none of the CCS equipped cars can make use of Tesla Superchargers.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
All DCFC use a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to tell the servicing supply how much current it can accept. As the battery pack approaches certain limits (OEM dependent), it will change the PWM to tell the servicing supply to slow down the charge. CCS and Tesla use PWM. If you have a spare $75k laying around, you can join the consortium ( Electrified Vehicle and Energy Storage Evaluation (EVESE) | SwRI ) I run (well, just the lab producing the data) to see the actual data from the BMS to the servicing supply. ;)

Last edited:

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It’s just your typical internet forum tribalist drivel. It’s best to do as you are now and scroll past it.
Sounds like the beefs I used to get into way back in high school. (40 years ago)

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Sounds like the beefs I used to get into way back in high school. (40 years ago)
You just had to go and remind everyone of their age….. ?

But yes, essentially that.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The Taycan remains a future possibility and will only become reality for me after EA gets sorted - because right now virtually all road trip reports are negative or spotty at best.

We were both making the trip to the coast and back, 200 miles round trip. Both charging at EA. He at 250kW me at 50 kW as no CCS1 adapter for Tesla. Taycan's actual at 70 mph is 270 miles. He was testing out charger as was I.

I've been using EA and EVgo chargers with the Tesla when traveling to make sure my 800 mile radius travel will work with the F150. The EA's are just as reliable as the Tesla SC's. People who don't use them often get frustrated and report problems that don't exist. Had a Bolt pull up next to me at charger in Astoria. He never used it before and even though I told him what to do he ends up leaving no doubt reporting a "down charger" or "bad interface" when it was none of that. Once you get the routine down, as easy as gassing up the Subaru.

Depends on your travel routes, mine are Pacific NW to SF to Whistler to SLC. Western US and Canada are pro-EV. This guy took one of the first Taycan's and found he could do this and that was year ago in which time EA has put in four more charging stations including one at the coast in my area.

Porsche Taycan Turbo Owner Completes Epic 11,000-Mile Road Trip

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
That's true. But until these two non-magical issues are resolved, none of the CCS equipped cars can make use of Tesla Superchargers.
All the Tesla chargers in EU are CCS2 so every EV in EU could use the Tesla chargers and that is likely what Musk was talking about vs. US. There's no means to bill as no interface on the Tesla chargers so Tesla will need to provide a subscription service for PlugNPlay.

US would be as easy if there was a Tesla>CCS1 adapter which Musk promised a long time ago ($200 in EU for older S and X's which also needed a $500 HW update). The profits for charging Tesla are getting huge, $400M, so Tesla is likeing it's captive market for now in the US.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
As a related but slightly different topic...anyone wondering why Ford didn't plan for 800v(350kW?) vs the more common 400v(150KW?) charging on the Lightning? The new Kia ev6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 suposedly 350KW and will got 10-80% in about 20min. Many(most) of the new Electrify America stations are supporting 350Kw.

Wondering why Ford didn't try to make the jump at launch and if they would bring that out within a few years...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
As a related but slightly different topic...anyone wondering why Ford didn't plan for 800v(350kW?) vs the more common 400v(150KW?) charging on the Lightning? The new Kia ev6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 suposedly 350KW and will got 10-80% in about 20min. Many(most) of the new Electrify America stations are supporting 350Kw.

Wondering why Ford didn't try to make the jump at launch and if they would bring that out within a few years...
I would guess they are started development when 150kW was cutting edge and couldn't switch over without disrupting the timetable or causing lots of rework ($$). Could be some other engineering tradeoffs I am not aware of though. My background is much more mechanical than electrical.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I would guess they are started development when 150kW was cutting edge and couldn't switch over without disrupting the timetable or causing lots of rework ($$). Could be some other engineering tradeoffs I am not aware of though. My background is much more mechanical than electrical.
Could also be battery reliability or safety issues. Ford is(has always been) very conservative with batteries. Could be they don't feel comfortable that rapid of a charge, either risk of fire or risk of early failure. Last thing Ford wants/needs is a "bolt" type situation with things catching on fire or the Samsung Note 7 debacle.

I owned a generation 1 and generation 2 Ford Escape Hybrids...they were more conservative than Toyota on charge/discharge rates.
Sponsored