• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla opening Superchargers to other automakers this year.

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
This is like Elon “opening up all his patents…” a nice press release but the devil was in the details and it really wasn’t as altruistic as it sounded.

Tesla cars can currently use CHAdeMO chargers in the US with an adapter, but that’s a dying standard and there’s no CCS to Tesla adapter to my knowledge.

Elon was forced to use CCS in the EU as they usually work against proprietary standards (although I think CCS in EU is slightly different than US), so Europe would make sense to open up. From my understanding, today a “regular” CCS car in the EU can physically plug into a Tesla supercharger, but it won’t deliver anything due to a handshake between the cars.

In the US you’d need a hardware adapter, and some means of communicating with the Tesla network. I could see Elon making like a dozen Of the Adapters and having them cost like $9000 in order to say “LOOK, I’m an ‘open network’ too! Send me some infrastructure money!” But I highly doubt we’ll be plugging our Lightning’s into the Supercharger network anytime soon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Heh! Rite by the dumpster and next to the Arbys drive thru...:ROFLMAO: ..Just making stuff up he says... ..the difference is I know some of the blow smoke history of the technoguy... ..stole abunch of ideas claimed he invented it all... ...now trying to sell piece of shitte as golden melon.

1626982617986.png
You're proving my point:

1. This is actually a good charging location. It's in Topeka, KS at the intersection of two major highways. It's in an Arby's parking lot with 7 other restaurants around it.

2. The rest of your post is babbling about Elon Musk, which doesn't make you look like an unbiased source.

3. You conveniently didn't mention your false claim that Tesla wouldn't be able to get good locations like gas stations... which they already have many of.

Again, lots of questions about how opening up Superchargers would actually work and plenty of things to complain about regarding Tesla, but making up complaints about their charging locations isn't a strong argument.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
1. This is actually a good charging location. It's in Topeka, KS at the intersection of two major highways. It's in an Arby's parking lot with 7 other restaurants around it.
If you were an actual local you would know just how bad of an arm pit location that is. (n) I mean that's the thing with the Golden God Musk right. He can do no wrong and his dart throwing from California always hits the spot, even here in KS, the locals know nothing. BS is far sighted, deleted tweet is brilliant and FCC is for chumps.

Nah! you can brown nose but his locations are largely garbage for other than the fanboi...

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
If you were an actual local you would know just how bad of an arm pit location that is. (n) I mean that's the thing with the Golden God Musk right. He can do no wrong and his dart throwing from California always hits the spot, even here in KS, the locals know nothing. BS is far sighted, deleted tweet is brilliant and FCC is for chumps.

Nah! you can brown nose but his locations are largely garbage for other than the fanboi...
When all else fails, just claim the other person is a Tesla fanboy.

A Tesla fanboy that has owned and road-tripped 3 non-Tesla EVs, has a very early Lightning reservation, has been buying Ford stock since $6 because he believes they're going to be *very* successful with EVs, that's flying to Detroit to check out the Lightning in person soon, that started the largest Lightning group on Reddit...

Nice try, though.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Just Musk musings and not likely to happen for several reasons.

1. Tesla chargers have lines already, adding Bolts and eTrons would drive the Teslerati crazy. Arriving at busy charger and having to wait for Kona EV to finish charging. Could see some class action lawsuits by the Teslrati.

2. Tesla has not made a CCS1 adapter for US Teslas to use Electrify America et al. The reason for that is charging is becoming more and more lucrative for Tesla, contributing about $400M last to Tesla's bottom line. Adding slower charging vehicles when you charge by the kWh is going to lower Tesla revenues not raise them.

3. Tesla chargers are Plug/Pay only, there is no interface for credit card so Tesla would have to create subscription system and then engineer the Tesla chargers to communicate with MachE's and Kia EV6's.

4. Tesla customer service is non-existent so there is going to be no one to call when the Plug/Play subscription doesn't work.

Bottom line is that it is in Tesla's financial interest to keep Tesla owners tied to its charger system and opening the chargers up to other mostly slower charging cars reduces Tesla's revenue.

Sponsored

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When all else fails, just claim the other person is a Tesla fanboy.

A Tesla fanboy that has owned and road-tripped 3 non-Tesla EVs, has a very early Lightning reservation, has been buying Ford stock since $6 because he believes they're going to be *very* successful with EVs, that's flying to Detroit to check out the Lightning in person soon, that started the largest Lightning group on Reddit...

Nice try, though.

Nah its just blind worship that is mind bending to watch. Up is down, left is right, garbage locations are market gold, Right next to an Arbys grease trap is the ideal location for charging.

Try this one again in my area, next to a TJ maxx garbage facility. Again ideal right.:ROFLMAO: I can keep going.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla opening Superchargers to other automakers this year. 1627049853086

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
FWIW I'm seeing a lot of Electrify America chargers pop up along the East Coast. There are some at truck stops, but I noticed a lot are being installed in Wal mart parking lots.(Out front, easy access--not by the dumpster) To me this is smart...as there is plenty of space and they can be easily found. Most are in shopping centers so you can run in and grab something in WM OR perhaps visit a fast casual place for a bite to eat.

It may take awhile to get there, but seems like a solid strategy.

Bonus-- located in the huge parking lot--some(most?) are pull thru so people can use them pulling trailers.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Nah its just blind worship that is mind bending to watch. Up is down, left is right, garbage locations are market gold, Right next to an Arbys grease trap is the ideal location for charging.

Try this one again in my area, next to a TJ maxx garbage facility. Again ideal right.:ROFLMAO: I can keep going.

1627049853086.png
Yep, I'm blindly worshipping Tesla by buying a Lightning, running a Lightning group, flying to Detroit to go see one, owning 3 non-Tesla EVs, etc. Cool story.

Also, you're purposely being misleading by picking a particular direction to take these pictures. Funny you picked that picture instead of one facing the other direction where you could see all the restaurants right there : Panda Express, Starbucks, Olive Garden, Firehouse Subs, Longhorn, Buffalo Wild Wings...

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla opening Superchargers to other automakers this year. Capture8.PNG

Fanboys are usually purposely misleading or make false claims to try and support their points because their agenda is more important to them than accuracy. Someone who was a fanboy would probably post misleading pictures or claim that one company can't get gas station locations or things like that.... oh, hmm.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fanboys are usually purposely misleading or make false claims to try and support their points because their agenda is more important to them than accuracy. Someone who was a fanboy would probably post misleading pictures or claim that one company can't get gas station locations or things like that.... oh, hmm.
Your appeals to authority are weird.

Nice that you took the picture to eliminate the stinky trash dumpster 6' to the left of you. See I stood there and smelled the stink esp. of the diesel Semi idling right there. So I don't have to imagine how horrible a location that is. I know it is a horrible location. And I certainly don't have to pretend this is a golden melon.

Another one. Right next to the Kitchen exhaust delivery side of a Holiday inn no less. Another golden melon award for the Musketeers right. The smell of stale grease so comforting.

I can keep doing this. You know because I'm making shitte up...:LOL:

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla opening Superchargers to other automakers this year. 1627061860123

Last edited:

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Your appeals to authority are weird.

Nice that you took the picture to eliminate the stinky trash dumpster 6' to the left of you. See I stood there and smelled the stink esp. of the diesel Semi idling right there. So I don't have to imagine how horrible a location that is. And I certainly don't have to pretend this is a golden melon.

Another one. Right next to the Kitchen exhaust delivery side of a Holiday inn no less. Another golden melon award for the Musketeers right. The smell of stale grease so comforting.

I can keep doing this.

1627061860123.png
Your red herring claims that I'm a Tesla fanboy despite mountains of evidence to the contrary are weird.

You're welcome to keep posting misleading photos of Supercharger locations that are somewhere between not bad and actually-quite-good. I've been to CCS stations in similar locations since I've owned 3 CCS cars.

The reality is that both the CCS network and Tesla network are good, now. Some good and some ok locations. Some gas stations for both. Essentially, anyone pretending like the other network is really bad has an agenda.

Classic Tesla fanboy move : Saying that the CCS network is actually quite good.

Sponsored

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The reality is that both the CCS network and Tesla network are good, now. Some good and some ok locations. Some gas stations for both. Essentially, anyone pretending like the other network is really bad has an agenda.
Like I said when you talk like a fanboi you are a fanboi.... ...appeals to authority are pointless. I care about reality. See I don't defend the CCS network as a fanboi. If it is a bad location I will say it is a bad location. Fanboi not so much.

So many TSLA charger locations are horrible. I don't even think a simple feasibility report was done on any. You know to make sure its not a horrible location. No, Pin was thrown on map under the Musk lords table, twitter thundered and fanboi better get in line to charge next to... ...trash dumpster....

Stop and think for a second. If TSLA put its entire charge network on the market for sale what do you think they would get for it. Feasibility reports would be run, banker would hem and haw and I can see a purchase price of $50 million being offered for it. That's how horrible the locations are.

Another horrible one. That thing at the top right is the Applebees trash dumpster. That thing on the left, alley full off... you guessed it, Trash dumpsters,:ROFLMAO::sick: including one filled with hair product waste, so bad I had to walk around to see what the hell it was....:unsure:

Just making Shitte up here....

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla opening Superchargers to other automakers this year. 1627064120549

Last edited:

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
On an unrelated note, I saw a guy taking a piss out of his Model 3 while he was charging up a few weeks ago in a mall parking lot. Not sure what relevance that has, but it was certainly a unique experience. and one I will likely never forget.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Like I said when you talk like a fanboi you are a fanboi.... ...appeals to authority are pointless. I care about reality. See I don't defend the CCS network as a fanboi. If it is a bad location I will say it is a bad location. Fanboi not so much. Nah!
LOL, I'm not using an "appeal to authority" at all. I defend the CCS network from actual Tesla superfans all the time. Have done it for years. That, along with many other indications that I support EVs in general show I'm not a fanboy. That's not "appeal to authority". It's just direct evidence that your claim is false.

TSLA chargers are not at gas stations
LOL, demonstrably false. Many Superchargers in FL are built at Wawa gas stations.

Stop and think for a second. If TSLA put its entire charge network on the market for sale what do you think they would get for it. Feasibility reports would be run, banker would hem and haw and I can see a purchase price of $50 million being offered for it. That's how horrible the locations are.
$50 million for the whole network? 1200+ locations in North America?

OK. haha

The Supercharging network has been a substantial contributor in Tesla's success and the changing of perceptions of EVs from city cars to gas vehicle replacements.

But yeah, sure. $50 million for the whole network.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Supercharging network has been a substantial contributor in Tesla's success and the changing of perceptions of EVs from city cars to gas vehicle replacements.
This is fanboi stuff. What success are you talking about. You are getting way side tracked here and making wild claims of success for a bit player.

Well put the TSLA charge network on the market and see what its worth. Not much based on what I can see.

Another bad newer install. This is actually at a Caseys with Gas out front, but here does TSLA go, out back by the trash dump of course. Also if you guys know anything about Caseys in my area, the homeless like to hang out in the back. I stood at this one and told myself, 'Thats a bad location. Does no one in California check where these are going in?'. Before I finished I knew the answer. :ROFLMAO:

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla opening Superchargers to other automakers this year. 1627077425507

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
This is fanboi stuff. What success are you talking about.
So, you say I'm a fanboy, and then ask "What success" for Tesla?

Impressive level of irony.

Well put the TSLA charge network on the market and see what its worth. Not much based on what I can see.
It's your claim. It's your job to prove it, not my job to disprove it.
Sponsored