Sponsored

Tesla Cybertruck is waterproof and can serve as a boat to cross rivers, lakes & calm seas 🤯

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
for every additional feature, it adds 2 years to actual production trucks being purchased by customers.
But now they have a "reason" for delaying it. Again.
Sponsored

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
How can you tell if Elon Musk is making sh*t up? His lips are moving...

Sponsored

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Floating is about as likely as the 500 mile range Musk has suggested.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Speaking of imaginary features for vaporware products, I also heard that the Cybertruck will do your yearly taxes, guard you while you sleep, groom your dog, and will hug you when you feel sad and lonely.
OK fine, but it better stay away from my wife!

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Just curious my friends! I can't seem to keep up with what we are supposed to like and what we badmouth. Can you help???

When did Elon go from becoming the smartest man on earth to someone lower than a used car peddling pariah?

They're a $25,000 option.
FTFY...

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
...When did Elon go from becoming the smartest man on earth to someone lower than a used car peddling pariah?
FTFY...
He isn't now and never was either of those things. I've been in the auto industry for nearly 40 years, including experience suppling Tesla.

Nobody I know believed the original timeline when the truck was announced and none of them doubted it would eventually be launched. It is a novelty/buzz vehicle, unlikely to be profitable, and will not be the long term mass market Tesla pickup any more than the Roadster is the long term mass market car.

Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
The current Tesla trucks have 19 points where they leak if driven in the rain. These leaks also make for a lot of wind noise whenever they are driven outdoors. The design has too many defects to make it into mass production which is why 4 years after it was announced the truck is a long ways from every being sold to the public.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
It is a novelty/buzz vehicle, unlikely to be profitable, and will not be the long term mass market Tesla pickup any more than the Roadster is the long term mass market car.
I'll put $100 on it not only being highly profitable for them, but making ford and GM scramble to copy the dumbest elements of it.

That said, it's ugly and I wouldn't own it unless 1) it was provided to me free of charge, 2) I was paid 50 cents per mile that I drive it, 3) I don't have to park it at my residence / properties if I don't desire such, and most importantly, 4) the windows come pre-tinted so that nobody can recognize me driving it.

Part of the 'delay' isn't really a delay. Tesla's strategy has been profit maximization. They didn't build the CT because their current models have been money printers. Why transition to a whole new assembly line when you can keep printing money. Now that the texas plant is producing vehicles, they can work on the molds for the CT, which required larger presses to make. Stainless is much more difficult to work with than aluminum. It's also going to come with a 48v low voltage architecture which required all new components throughout. (ford for instance has 5 different electric motors across 4 different electrified platforms where tesla has 1 motor across 5 platforms)

Tesla has been the smartest in the industry when it comes to parts getting used across all platforms. The model Y improvements with better inverters and motors were then transitioned to all other platforms. Everything from the 3 to the S to the semi now have the Y's motors and inverters in it. They use 1, 2 or even 3 of the motors to make their vehicles. It's basically a single architecture coming in different body styles. Now with the CT, they're once again making a new architecture in the form of 48v hardware that will again trickle into all other platforms. They don't do big factory overhauls twice a year like Ford. They're continually improving the vehicles. Model years don't even matter to them as advancements will appear mid-cycle. The CT's parts have already started showing up in other trims. New inverters and motors (hairpin) are big movements, as well as an entirely new 'brain' hardware stack that's started to ship in new Ys.

Here's a demo of their latest software stack on the older hardware. The new hardware is pretty badass as it includes a high resolution phased array radar up front that's unparalleled in the industry. (mute it)

That said I still think their designs are fugly and the build quality leaves much to be desired. They also don't have any integration for apple car play or android auto forcing owners instead to have to bring USB drives to get their own music experience. With Ford and GM moving over to their EV connector -- they essentially own most of the 'gas stations' in which ford and GM owners will be using adding a substantial revenue stream. We'll all benefit from their advancements by moving the bar and thus moving all other car manufacturers to up their game.

Last edited:

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.