Function over form people! :LOL:
Sponsored

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 powerboost
Just my personal observations having just passed 10k mile on my PowerBoost. The hybrid really doesn't add much to the MPG's. Normal and Eco tend to return the same MPG's on average whether your being super sensitive on the throttle and brakes, or just normal not really paying attention to it driving. I regularly get 21-22 between Normal and Eco modes. the last few weeks the truck has only been in sport mode and driving semi aggressive with take off's, my commute is 27 miles highway and I've been getting stuck between 19 and 20 MPG's. I might as well leave it in sport mode and enjoy the better throttle response.

Cmill24

First Name
Cort
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost 4x4 platinum
I have a 2021 platinum powerboost non modified (although I did put a tailbed cover on) and I’m only getting 18-19 mpg driving pretty conservatively. I’ve been disappointed as well

mirel904

First Name
Mirel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Logistics
I have a 2021 platinum powerboost non modified (although I did put a tailbed cover on) and I’m only getting 18-19 mpg driving pretty conservatively. I’ve been disappointed as well
you must really get on it in sport or regular mode. switch it to eco, speed up to ur desired speed then let off the gas and cruise youll get 20+. in lower speeds utilize electric mode and youll be good

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
I'm OCD enough to track every tankful on my '21 Powerboost by hand. Driving consists mostly of criss-crossing Michigan on the highway @ 80mph which obviously impacts MPG. Also tow an enclosed car trailer (the sharp drops in the graph). Overall average, excluding the towing miles ~ 18mpg. Less than I expected from the Powerboost, but given highway (no electric usage) maybe that's OK.

Interesting also how the MPG has dropped since October - cold weather? winter gas?

Ford F-150 Terrible MPG in my 2021 F150 Powerboost 1643731716805

Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
For the last two tanks I’ve been driving with two different styles to see how to get the best fuel economy. I run 92 octane fuel. The tests were completed using my same commute to work and back, a mixture of in town and highway for 34 mile round trip, with temperatures ranging from low thirties to low forties. Both tests completed in normal mode.

style 1: normal mode. Turn on eco coach to display While in Normal, and accelerate slowly following the on screen recommendation for best fuel economy. Accelerate to 3-5 over the speed limit, tap the break to force the vehicle into electric mode, try to maximize time in electric by using Ev coach to keep load demand within battery range, Rinse repeat. Fuel economy for this tank 18 mpg

style 2: turn off eco coach. Accelerate briskly to 3-5 mph over the speed limit. Brisk acceleration has revs around 2,500 staying below 3,000 rpm. Once above the speed limit, tap the brake or rapidly remove foot from accelerator. I’ve noticed that with this driving style you can more often practice 1 foot driving, without having to hit the break. I suppose the rapid change in G-force from acceleration to deceleration tricks the system into thinking that you’re slowing down for a stop. Maximize driving in electric mode using ev coach and keeping load Demand within the battery gauge as much as possible. Fuel economy for this tank 22 mpg.

it seems that accelerating briskly then getting into electric mode quicker and for longer drastically improves fuel economy vs accelerating slowly then eventually kicking into electric mode. Clearly this will need further testing. I did an additional test for half a tank by using eco mode and following driving style 2 and improved fuel economy by an additional 1 mpg, but the slower throttle input isn’t responsive enough for any kind of satisfying driving experience.

Last edited:

Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost sold, 2023 Tremor 5.0 now
One year old and 32,000 miles later I have never averaged much over 20-22 mpg. I haven’t noticed much difference running 87 or 91 octane. Just got back from a 6,500 mile road trip pulling a trailer with 2 off road vehicles and got 11.1 mpg. I know it’s a lot of weight and wind resistance and my older 5.0 liter was about the same when pulling the trailer and around 17.5 without. About 700 or so miles on this trip without the trailer made the avg go up a little. Most interstate miles around 75 mph.

Ford F-150 Terrible MPG in my 2021 F150 Powerboost 019C8B7A-1B82-4272-B427-4B36B334E511

Ford F-150 Terrible MPG in my 2021 F150 Powerboost BABA2D78-D5A2-49E9-AEAE-211169FFE1D7

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
For the last two tanks I’ve been driving with two different styles to see how to get the best fuel economy. I run 92 octane fuel. The tests were completed using my same commute to work and back, a mixture of in town and highway for 34 mile round trip, with temperatures ranging from low thirties to low forties. Both tests completed in normal mode.

style 1: normal mode. Turn on eco coach to display While in Normal, and accelerate slowly following the on screen recommendation for best fuel economy. Accelerate to 3-5 over the speed limit, tap the break to force the vehicle into electric mode, try to maximize time in electric by using Ev coach to keep load demand within battery range, Rinse repeat. Fuel economy for this tank 18 mpg

style 2: turn off eco coach. Accelerate briskly to 3-5 mph over the speed limit. Brisk acceleration has revs around 2,500 staying below 3,000 rpm. Once above the speed limit, tap the brake or rapidly remove foot from accelerator. I’ve noticed that with this driving style you can more often practice 1 foot driving, without having to hit the break. I suppose the rapid change in G-force from acceleration to deceleration tricks the system into thinking that you’re slowing down for a stop. Maximize driving in electric mode using ev coach and keeping load Demand within the battery gauge as much as possible. Fuel economy for this tank 22 mpg.

it seems that accelerating briskly then getting into electric mode quicker and for longer drastically improves fuel economy vs accelerating slowly then eventually kicking into electric mode. Clearly this will need further testing. I did an additional test for half a tank by using eco mode and following driving style 2 and improved fuel economy by an additional 1 mpg, but the slower throttle input isn’t responsive enough for any kind of satisfying driving experience.
Thanks for posting this. Completely agree with you! As odd as it sounds, Prius owners have figured this out long ago…it’s better to accelerate at a decent pace than to drive like a granny, and in that respect I think the eco coach that gives your % grade on acceleration kind of messes people up.

I have always driven the way you say in style 2. If I can see I’m only going to be putting around/slowing back down immediately, I’ll limit my accel to keep in EV, but for normal traffic I’m light on it til about 10 and then accelerate with traffic. Once at 40-50 you can just ride EV, which still has power because you didn’t use all the battery up getting up to speed. Driving this way since I got my truck and my lifetime average is just under 23mpg, despite a good amount of highway miles (7200 miles on it since the end of October)

I believe the philosophy is that an electric motor, especially one that’s arguably under powered is more efficient/better used keeping the truck moving at a steady state than using all its power to get the heavy truck moving and then needing to be recharged. Engines are more meant to be worked and are more efficiently using energy that way, so using the engine to get up to speed and then letting the electric motor take over seems to be playing to the strengths of each. With that said, I do still try to stay out of boost while accelerating, that’ll kill the mpg quick lol

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
[QUOTE="chrisp993, post: 161543, member: 753"

Interesting also how the MPG has dropped since October - cold weather? winter gas?

[/QUOTE]

Yes both have affected mine as well by about 2 mpg. I expect it though becuase it has always been the case for me in my previous vehicles Canyon, avalanche, etc.

warp7647

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Just my personal observations having just passed 10k mile on my PowerBoost. The hybrid really doesn't add much to the MPG's. Normal and Eco tend to return the same MPG's on average whether your being super sensitive on the throttle and brakes, or just normal not really paying attention to it driving. I regularly get 21-22 between Normal and Eco modes. the last few weeks the truck has only been in sport mode and driving semi aggressive with take off's, my commute is 27 miles highway and I've been getting stuck between 19 and 20 MPG's. I might as well leave it in sport mode and enjoy the better throttle response.
Well, on my 2019 Platinum EcoBoost the absolute MAX I can get (2000 mile highway road trip in ECO mode) is 20.8 MPG. Driving around town, with 1 day of hard driving in Sport it drops like a rock instantly down to 15-16 MPG. Looking forward to my new Hybrid (if it ever gets scheduled to be built...)

Sponsored

PWRGEN

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Hybrid 4wd Max Tow
Occupation
Real Estate
I got my 21 KR Powerboost back in Feb of this year. I instantly put a Readylift 2” level and 295/65/20 tires on it. I completely understand this will bring the MPGs down from the marketed 24 MPG but I’ve never got above 20 MPG. Hell, I hardly get above 17 MPG. 90% of my driving is on a highway going about 70 MPG and I don’t tow anything. I called the dealer and they have no real advice and say that if there are no lights on then they can’t check to see if anything is wrong. Is anyone else getting 17/16 MPG in their Powerboost? It’s very disappointing.
Everyone expects to get 24 on the dime without thinking about how they drive and what changes they make too it ie. adding equipment and weight. Mileage depends on many variables. If your doing things to change the factory setup like replacing with larger tires and leveling kits that add more weight and less efficient tread wear your going to immediately see a lower mileage reading. Furthermore if not driving in eco mode or at least normal mode and are not easing away from stops and are the type driver to accelerate harder away from a stop than you will also see lower mileage even if no changes to the stock truck. Other things like weather and hilly terrain will affect mileage. No surprises hear.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Weather makes such a big difference. It’s been really cold recently and my last tank average was 19.8. I filled up yesterday and it’s been pretty warm since (50s and 60s) and this tank 60 miles in is showing 25.7 mpg…

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
There is more to it than temps. I picked up my PB mid July. Initially I was averaging 25-26 MPG> I drive the same style and route every day. About 150 miles per day. In Sept/October my MPG dropped to about 20. Then after using the truck off road a bit in November and resetting all gauges my MPG fell to 18 on the same distance/route as July. Never changed. I took the truck for service and a transmission reset at 15K miles. The low gears were shifting very stiff and the accelerator was either not responsive for a few seconds or it would continue to accelerate after I removed my foot. After the reset and in 30 degree temps I was again up in the 24-26 MPH range. That happened for about 3 weeks. All of a sudden the last week I am back down around 18 mpg, the rough shifting is back and the unresponsive accelerator is back. Not sure what to do next.

bakerd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Appraiser/Assessor
I learned this with my Jeep, you put bigger tires on, you need to reprogram your tire size with a programmer. Any increase in the size of the tire changes things. The computer is using that stock size so your speedometer may be off slightly, shift points are different in the transmission. My jeep, I went up almost 2" in tire size and I was getting 13mpg. I lost power in certain gears, couldn't stay in overdrive without it bouncing in and out. I bought a programmer, adjusted the tire size only, I gained back power, gained 2 mpg average better, and I could pass people again and it would stay in overdrive at highway speeds. Yes you will lose a little with the lift, as you expected, but the tire size issue, after I saw what the programmer did when tire size changed, was crazy. It felt, sounded, rev'd, drove so much better when the transmission was adjusted to the tire size. Just to note, I was getting right at 19 mpg on a trip this weekend, with speeds of around 70 mph, give or take 5mph, some small town driving, with 4 adults, luggage, a cooler, 2" level with stock tire size, but BFG AT KO'2's which are LT tires.

Last edited:

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Show me a truck that isn’t mod’d and I’ll show you a hideous POS. That’s why these forums suck. Your response provided zero help and is annoying as hell.
Dude, I think he was just h trying to tell you the truth.

I too have a Powerboost and was averaging >23 mph all summer and fall (23.5 per the instrument cluster). Over the winter, I noticed that the mpg has dropped to 20-22, as the cold engine takes time to heat up (little benefit from the electric motor).

I just added a 2” level to my truck and expect to lose another 1.0 mpg, as the truck is a bit less aerodynamic, although I haven’t measured it yet. I had also planned to also put bigger KO2’s (either 275/65 R20’s or
285/65 R20’s). Unfortunately, there’s a nation-wide shortage, so I will have to wait. They are significantly heavier (57-62lbs each!) compared to the 40lb weight of the crappy stock Hankooks. I expect another 1-2 mpg loss.

In short, temperature, lift/level, tire height, and tire weight all affect mph. Your mods cost around 3mpg drop. That’s the price we pay for improving the truck. I think that’s all he was trying to say. Best of luck to you.
Sponsored