Sponsored

Terrible fuel efficiency or is my truck defective??

Deleted member 2919

I filled up this morning and checked my mileage again.
At my last fill up, I adjusted the Fuel AFE down to get a more realistic mpg reading on the dash.

dashboard was telling me 20.1 mpg, and my ‘hand calculation’ is telling me 20.2 mpg.

Im pretty good with that being as close as it is and won’t need to adjust again.

Happy with the mileage the “Super 8” 4x4 5.0 is giving me with my particular type of usage At 3500 miles.
Fixing the Lie-O-Meter is a game changer. Probably the best free "mod", and it doesn't even require 4skn.
Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Fixing the Lie-O-Meter is a game changer. Probably the best free "mod", and it doesn't even require 4skn.
What is this fix you speak of?

aaron90245

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 STX 2014 Cadillac CTS-V
Occupation
Pediatrics
2021 2.7 eco with only about 1400miles. Im getting 20.6-20.9 around town according to the truck without the correction (I'll look into that).
Normal mode
Auto start/stop left on

Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I went through the whole process this morning after filling it up. Turns out I have a .947 correction factor. Now that the AFE is updated it’ll be interesting to see how the numbers look next fill up.

Thanks again for posting the vid. ??

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
What engine do you have and how many km’s/miles do you get per tank??

When my 2018 XLT with the 3.3 V6 was brand new I would get around 1000-1200 km’s(620-745 miles) per tank. After about a year and onwards I would get 900-1000km’s/tank.

I’m just under 2600km’s on my new 2021 XLT that has the 2.7 EcoBoost and I haven’t been able to get over 900km’s/tank on any of my fill ups.

The first tank I didn’t really drive it in a way that was mindful of how much gas I was burning and I think I got less than 800km’s on that tank.
But the 2-3 tanks after that I’ve been trying really hard to drive in the most fuel efficient manner to see how many km’s I could get from a single tank. The current tank will be lucky to make it past 900km’s.

- For all fill ups I waited until the dash said 0 km’s to empty then I would fill it to the tits and would stop recording the mileage once it said 0 again.
- I ALWAYS drive in ECO Mode and I always turn off Auto Start/Stop.
- I’ve only used regular gas. The few times I used the expensive gas on my 2018 I got less than 50-60 extra km’s out of the tank so not worth it to me. Especially since I don’t plan to keep the truck after the lease.

I haven’t had the time to do any kind of review but after about a month of having my new 2021 F150 I haven’t had any mechanical or technical issues.
The Navigation stopped working once and the fuel efficiency is dog sh*t but other than that, this truck has been very solid.

And not sure if I mentioned this; if you’re in Canada and your dealer tries to give you the Bison brand tonneau cover tell them to stick in their butt. It’s really bad.

I haven’t done any mods. Just removed the antenna, added 5% tints all around and installed a dash cam. I think it’s very stupid that factory-installed dash cams are available on other Ford vehicles like the mustang but not the f150.

91BCFC5D-C607-4796-BC5D-C8371F054B15.jpeg
I have a 2021 3.5L Hybrid Limited and the best I have got after 1,000 miles is 20MPG. Even on a 7 hour highway road trip averaging 65MPH on premium gas the best I got is 20.4 MPG. The 24 MPG sticker rating is horse shit. BTW. This is in southeast TX which is flat as far as the eye can see and the road trip was in 80 degree weather with mild wind. Ford is full of it. Still love the truck though.

Deleted member 2919

I went through the whole process this morning after filling it up. Turns out I have a .947 correction factor. Now that the AFE is updated it’ll be interesting to see how the numbers look next fill up.

Thanks again for posting the vid. ??
I don't know why this adjustment isn't more well published?

I did 0.954

On chevron gas, it is on the money, but with shell gas it slightly underestimates.

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner

When my 2018 XLT with the 3.3 V6 was brand new I would get around 1000-1200 km’s(620-745 miles) per tank. After about a year and onwards I would get 900-1000km’s/tank.

I’m just under 2600km’s on my new 2021 XLT that has the 2.7 EcoBoost and I haven’t been able to get over 900km’s/tank on any of my fill ups.

The first tank I didn’t really drive it in a way that was mindful of how much gas I was burning and I think I got less than 800km’s on that tank.
But the 2-3 tanks after that I’ve been trying really hard to drive in the most fuel efficient manner to see how many km’s I could get from a single tank. The current tank will be lucky to make it past 900km’s.

- For all fill ups I waited until the dash said 0 km’s to empty then I would fill it to the tits and would stop recording the mileage once it said 0 again.
- I’ve only used regular gas. The few times I used the expensive gas on my 2018 I got less than 50-60 extra km’s out of the tank so not worth it to me. Especially since I don’t plan to keep the truck after the lease.

I haven’t had the time to do any kind of review but after about a month of having my new 2021 F150 I haven’t had any mechanical or technical issues.
The Navigation stopped working once and the fuel efficiency is dog sh*t but other than that, this truck has been very solid.

And not sure if I mentioned this; if you’re in Canada and your dealer tries to give you the Bison brand tonneau cover tell them to stick in their butt. It’s really bad.

I haven’t done any mods. Just removed the antenna, added 5% tints all around and installed a dash cam. I think it’s very stupid that factory-installed dash cams are available on other Ford vehicles like the mustang but not the f150.

Eric.
I haven't been paying close attention to everything here but have you been trying premium gasoline. 91+ ?
It seems to have made a difference in my 2021 3.5 EcoBoost after 4000 miles...
On a two-lane road for 15 minutes up and down Hills and then on the interstate for about 20 minutes averaging 60 miles per hour I got 24.9 MPG. Also planets were in perfect alignment. :)

Also my son has a 2.7 L 2019 F150 and he's complaining about decrease mileage

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I filled up this morning and checked my mileage again.
At my last fill up, I adjusted the Fuel AFE down to get a more realistic mpg reading on the dash.

dashboard was telling me 20.1 mpg, and my ‘hand calculation’ is telling me 20.2 mpg.

Im pretty good with that being as close as it is and won’t need to adjust again.

Happy with the mileage the “Super 8” 4x4 5.0 is giving me with my particular type of usage At 3500 miles.
Is the 2021 5.0....burning more oil than gas still? I had to ditch mine after all that nonsense in my 2019. I never got 20+mpg in my 2019 5.0 so I'd say that's good...I'd just burn 3-3.5qts and Ford said ehhh normal characteristic.

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Is the 2021 5.0....burning more oil than gas still? I had to ditch mine after all that nonsense in my 2019. I never got 20+mpg in my 2019 5.0 so I'd say that's good...I'd just burn 3-3.5qts and Ford said ehhh normal characteristic.
oil was a bit overfilled according to stick when I took delivery.
Was still just above full before I had it serviced at 2500.
Will check it again this weekend, but I don’t think I’m using oil at all.
Using oil is NOT normal.
I don’t even bother to check it on the other cars—just service at 5k.
Only open the hood to replace batteries.

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
I've never understood people who say they don't care about fuel economy simply because they drive a truck, makes no sense to me. I've driven trucks for over 20 years and I always prioritize fuel economy. It's the 2nd most important factor in choosing which brand/model I buy, right behind my particular use case. There are 1/2 ton trucks that get 14 mpg and others that get well over 20 mpg, with similar capabilities, so clearly there is plenty of room to consider fuel economy in the truck segment.

blind56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7EB, 2016 WRX
Something must be wrong with my truck then, the built in reading is actually more pessimistic than what my hand calculated numbers are. Mine was off by 0.8mpg or 0.6L/100km.
Still not getting quite the fuel economy numbers I hoped, averaging around 13.2L/100km(17.8mpg).

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT

I think the ecoboost engines take time to fully break in, so I suspect your fuel economy will continue to improve. Having owned 2 direct injected turbo vehicles in recent years, I noticed that fuel economy continued to improve well beyond 10,000 miles.

I just ordered a loaded 2021 XLT SuperCab with the 2.7 and payload package and I expect to average at least 23 mpg in my mostly highway commute. How you drive a turbo engine is the biggest factor though. Even occassional heavy throttle inputs will significantly increase fuel burn.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I've never understood people who say they don't care about fuel economy simply because they drive a truck, makes no sense to me. I've driven trucks for over 20 years and I always prioritize fuel economy. It's the 2nd most important factor in choosing which brand/model I buy, right behind my particular use case. There are 1/2 ton trucks that get 14 mpg and others that get well over 20 mpg, with similar capabilities, so clearly there is plenty of room to consider fuel economy in the truck segment.
I totally agree with that. I just didn’t want to say anything and piss anybody off because everybody already thinks I’m the biggest player hater in the universe.

But if fuel economy in these trucks weren’t anything to consider these companies wouldn’t be talking so much about it when they’re trying to sell them.

I think I have the right to be upset when I’m getting dicked around. If you’re telling me this product is going to give me certain benefits and features and my purchase decision is made on that information provided, I should be able to bitch about it when those Benefits and features aren’t delivered.

when I’m driving like a wild man I don’t expect to get the best fuel economy. But when I’m trying to do everything I possibly can even sometimes driving unreasonably slow just to get the numbers promised and I still don’t, then what the heck.
Sponsored